Basement storage area's locks

Bob Vaughn

I love the slam locks on my Big Country, I hate the CH51 locks on the battery, forward, and gas bottle doors is one of the short comings I have found with my new 5th wheel. I wonder if there is a way to change those out for something that is easier to get to close. A smaller version of the slam locks would be absolutely great...:cool: I hated them on my last TT also...

Crumgater

I hope someone has a good reply to your question.

We were able to adjust the CH51 locks to twist easily (using the screw on the inside of the door) once you get the key in the lock, but the key-hole cover is always a problem. It takes quite a bit of manipulation to get the key into the key-hole. Any recommendations on lubricants for that little piece would be welcome - and full key/lock replacement would be nice, too. We also had similar issues on our old SOB camper - even broke a key in the lock at one point... luckily we were able to get it out and get another copy made (from DW's key).

jimtoo

Hi Dave and Bob,

I assume your talking about the CH751 key that is standard in the RV industry. I have not had and don't know of many that have had problems with the locks. Any good lock lube works wonders. And if you want to replace them, Lowes and Home Depot both carry the locks. All you need to know is the length of the threads on the lock, as they make them in several different lengths. You can also get the ones with the round key if you like.
Also Bob, you said something about the "gas bottle doors". The doors to the propane bottles are not supposed to be locked. I think this is by law in all the states. In case of emergency you, or anyone needs to be able to turn off the propane.

Jim M

Bob Vaughn

Hi Dave and Bob,

I assume your talking about the CH751 key that is standard in the RV industry. I have not had and don't know of many that have had problems with the locks. Any good lock lube works wonders. And if you want to replace them, Lowes and Home Depot both carry the locks. All you need to know is the length of the threads on the lock, as they make them in several different lengths. You can also get the ones with the round key if you like.
Also Bob, you said something about the "gas bottle doors". The doors to the propane bottles are not supposed to be locked. I think this is by law in all the states. In case of emergency you, or anyone needs to be able to turn off the propane.

Jim M
Jim you are correct....When the rain stopped I went outside and looked and there are no key locks on the gas bottle doors just the twist locks.....My key lock works just fine when the door is open but when it is closed the latch will not clear the door frame. It could not have been checked at the factory....My other camper had the same problem.....I think I will take it off and see if I can bend it some...

Bob Vaughn

I just went outside and opened the battery/pump compartment door and stuck my head inside and looked at the frame and some one at the factory realized that the lock would not work so they bent the frame but that did not work so they sent it out...I took the latch portion off and bent it to where it would twist behind the frame and it worked...took me all of about 5 minutes....I guess the QC inspector went home early that day....

jimtoo

:) :) The little latch bar on the lock gets bent real easy...if in locked position and door slams....it's bent.

Northern Virginia
I have had to lube and adjust all my 751 locks. I have also closed the door with the latch down causing the latch to bend and seem very tight when trying to close. Dohhhh!

It is pretty easy bending the latch back out. I also needed to bend the aluminum frame edge of the opening because the closed latch bent it a little. Channel Locks work pretty good here. To lube the lock for the key pins I tried WD40, which only seems to work for a short while and had better luck with an oil type lube like Kroil. You don't need much at all. Maybe next time I will try a little graphite powder.

John