Heartland makes major discovery, Scientific community stunned

sdrubrecht

Just in from AP: Heartland RV recently reported that water will run uphill. In a surprising new development, Heartland has found that grey and black water effluent will also drain uphill. Scientific community all abuzz over this new discovery. When questioned about the latest development, the president of the International Brotherhood of Plumbers had this to say "Well I guess that's a real gamechanger, but as long as payday is still on Friday, no biggie."

All kidding aside, I have a Cy 3010 with the same problems as reported in the thread "Cy 3010 some water is inaccesable" When I pulled the bellypan to fix it, I found that the front Grey and Black tanks had been plumbed with more than 1 1/2" in rise from the tank to bellypan exit! Some new parts and an hours work and I now have 1/2" fall. The holding tanks were all sagging and held quite a few gallons despite my having just dumped. I added a plywood bottom using the frame and the sag straps to support the bottom of the holding tanks. Now when I dump, they are truely empty. As to the water tanks, I added an extra metal support and replaced the 1/2" osb with a 7 ply 3/4" ply. They now are flat. I will be adding a fitting to the tank that wont drain completely as soon as it arrives.Add insulation and replace the belly pan, then out camping again. Can't wait.

Attachments

• clone tanks 004.jpg
    clone tanks 004.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 329
  • clone tanks 007.jpg
    clone tanks 007.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Rickhansen

Nice Work. Nice pictures.
Out of curiosity, what would you estimate for time to pull the underbelly, inspect, and re-install? I've collected several ideas of things to check and do under there, but have never ventured into this animal from that direction.

Northern Virginia
I have the same problem and have procrastinated fixing this for three years. Nice job.
I did repair a grey water valve and found the hardest part was laying on your back UNDER the pipes for the whole repair. Not much fun.

In your first pic I cannot even see where the 1 1/2 pipe off the grey tank joins the 3".

Heartland QC is certainly lacking here.

John

sdrubrecht

Havent put the belly pan back on yet, will update after it happens today or tomorrow. The tanks always drained slow, then I would be surprised with a big splash of yuck every time I went to remove the cap and attach the sewer hose. I had put on a clear extension with a hose fitting so I could drain the "surprise" before removing the cap. Had it at the dealer I bought it from twice and they claimed it was normal! Laying on your back is the worst part. The pan came off in about an hour. I have 2 days in the work so far, the first with a helper. We have our Cyclone in a dirt lot so I spread some plywood underneath, concrete and a creeper would sure have been nice.

porthole

Retired
Did the same change to mine last year, I also had an "uphill" from the rear gray tank, which I changed.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have the same problem and have procrastinated fixing this for three years. Nice job.
I did repair a grey water valve and found the hardest part was laying on your back UNDER the pipes for the whole repair. Not much fun.

((((In your first pic I cannot even see where the 1 1/2 pipe off the grey tank joins the 3".)))

Heartland QC is certainly lacking here.

John
I'm wondering the same thing: "In your first pic I cannot even see where the 1 1/2 pipe off the grey tank joins the 3". Did the 1 1/2" drain ever run above the bottom of the tank outlet?

Boca_Shuffles

After reading this, maybe I should modify my departure preparations to do the dump cleaning last.

If I close the sliders and then run the trailer up a 3 inch ramp on the door side, then maybe my tanks will empty.

I should at least do this when I am winterizing.

porthole

Retired
At least on the 3010 another way to "finish dumping" is to get under the trailer and just push up on the tank bottom. Couple more gallons.

watchthebox

Nice job! What year is your 3010? How many ABS fittings did you have to take apart and reglue? How many ABS pieces did you have to replace?

I have found that a creeper is invaluable for working under my 5th wheel. They make ones with larger casters for on gravel/rough surfaces like: http://www.amazon.com/Dale-Adams-Enterprises-7031-Mechanics/dp/B00005A1KQ/ref=pd_sim_auto_2 , http://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-WHIMTLPNEU-PNEUMATIC-ROLLER-CREEPER/dp/B002YKCXWC/ref=pd_sbs_auto_14 , and http://www.amazon.com/REL-Stapleton..._6?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1297279091&sr=8-6 .

porthole

Retired
Finding the correct ABS fittings can be difficult. What I couldn't find locally I got from Amazon.com.

You can get everything on Amazon, but I got more pieces then I needed to not have any surprises. Easier to return the extras for what you get locally.

sdrubrecht

Got another pic that kind of shows the grey water line. The cross brace hides the run of the pipe but you can see it leave the tank then rise above the cross brace. To the right, it goes into a short sweep 1/4 bend then has about 1 1/2 inch of pipe before another 1/4 street bend to join the drain at the 3". The 1 1/2" pipe is the amount of rise in the pipe run. When I replumbed, I only needed a street 1/4 bend and a regular 1/4 bend, eliminating the short piece. To replumb the 3" I used a street 1/8 bend to meet the 1/4 bend with the 1 1/2" outlet. All fittings in stock at Home Depot. Only needed those four, plus 2' pieces of 1 1/2 and 3' pipe and a coupling of each to mate in where I cut the existing. Cost about $35 for fittings. I got the bellypan back on today,took about 4 hours with DW helping. Don't think I could have manhandeled it into place by myself.
My Cyclone is a 2010 model year with a build date in August, 09. We bought it in Dec 09.
Time to go camping.

Attachments

• clone tanks 002.jpg
    clone tanks 002.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 104

Northern Virginia
Okay, I see now. The first pic had the tee cropped. Let us know if your tanks drain quickly now. I spend 20-30 minutes dumping mine. And they never fully empty, sometimes only half the tanks drain. It is a PITA.

John

wyleyrabbit

Yeah, my tanks take FOREVER to drain as well. I took to my dealer back when the unit was under warranty and they said "Yeah, that's normal, no problem found". I bet I waste 45+ minutes just draining the ****ed tanks.

sdrubrecht

Update: Just got back from draining the tanks from our recent trip. Black tank drained in nothing flat and flushed clear in 3 minutes. I used to have to stop it up and fill with the black water flush 3 or 4 times to get it to drain clear. I stopped it up and filled it just to check, and the water all ran out clear. Grey tanks also drained out right away. Used to take 45 minutes or so. Now, I'm waiting for the fresh water tank to fill after I got all the tanks flushed and drain hoses rinsed and cleaned and put away. Took 15 minutes total, the last few just waiting for the fresh water to fill.
BTW, before I reinstalled the bellypan, I used several cans of foam to seal the floor penetrations and neatened and tied up all the wire and pipe runs with zip ties. Then I installed 2 layers of 1/4 in stryrofoam insulation and sealed around the penetrations, then installed the bellypan and again sealed all the penetrations. The floor was way warmer and more comfortable on our recent trip.
Happy camping to all.

wyleyrabbit

I need to do this mod/upgrade. Our tanks average > 45 mins to 1 hour to drain with the rig completely level. Our black tank is by far the worst, sometimes taking several re-fills and flushes just to get it to run clear. If ever we ever boondock, and have to use a group sani-dump station, the lineup of people behind us are never happy. This is probably my #1 frustration with our Bighorn.

As much information as possible would be great. Parts, step-by-steps, do this, don't do that, tools required, etc. would be VERY much appreciated.

sdrubrecht

Thanks for all the compliments. Dont know that the parts I used would work for another model. The plumbing parts were listed in an earlier post. After you get your belly pan off, just remember the basic tenent of plumbing, "s*** runs downhill" and use common sense to make as simple, straight and least bends as possible depending on what you find with your situation. Go to a store with a large selection of fittings, I have a Home Depot nearby, and try to put together what will work as simply as possible and like Porthole suggested, get some plan B parts. Easier to take extras back than not be able to complete. Too bad you dont live near SoCal, I'd be glad to help if you are down this way, space in my yard to work. As I am a general contractor, with the exception of the plumbing fittings and the spray foam, all the tank supports and plywood, etc. came from leftover stuff I had onhand and I based my repair designs on supplies in hand.
Hope this helps, good luck with your projects.

Buford445

I was having Problems dumping my Black Water when I found out I had a 90gal tank and didn't have enough water in the tank to get it Clean

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I was having Problems dumping my Black Water when I found out I had a 90gal tank and didn't have enough water in the tank to get it Clean

Ed, that would be unusual to have a 90 gallon black tank in a Bighorn. Unless it was a modification by a previous owner, the standard waste tanks are 45 gallons each. You have two gray tanks giving you 90 gallons between them, but not individually, and they're not really plumbed together. The exception is the fresh water tank, which is 75 gallons.

Buford445

Ed, that would be unusual to have a 90 gallon black tank in a Bighorn. Unless it was a modification by a previous owner, the standard waste tanks are 45 gallons each. You have two gray tanks giving you 90 gallons between them, but not individually, and they're not really plumbed together. The exception is the fresh water tank, which is 75 gallons.

My Bad I just reread it and your rite it is 45gal

I think it is still not rite but at least I can get it flushed out now