Slideout supports ...

Midastouch

Was wondering if anyone is using slideout supports or has used them and why? Did they help with stability/movement? I am set up fulltime, on a site on family property ... the unit is really very stable, but while sitting in the doorside slide on the couch, etc... can actually feel movement as my little 5lb. puppy bounces up and down and runs the length of the GC. I also get movement with the washer spin cycle .... just trying to find ways to feel as "solid" as I can, but don't want to waste my money on something that I don't need. If I was on the road alot I wouldn't really consider this, but because my movement is not very frequent at the present time, I thought I would explore some options.

Any suggestions or comments?

Tom of Ypsi

Lynne,

I could not find it in my manuals but I am sure that Heartland like most other manufacturers do no recommend using the slideout stabilizers. The slideouts are meant to flex a little. As far as the washer/dryer goes I do not believe you will eliminate the movement/vibration from this. For better stability throughout the coach you may want to check into JT's Strongarm Jacks. I do not have them but reading about them on other forums they are the way to go. Another thing on my wish list.

jimtoo

On a previous 5er that we had I installed a pair of scissor jacks just in front of the axles. After I did normal set up, I would crank these jacks down and put just enough weight on them to take the spring out of the middle of the frame. I have not put them on my Bighorn as I am not getting near the movement due to a stronger frame. I would suggest that you get a couple of hyd bottle jacks or anything like that to take a little of the weight just in front of the axles and try it.

I don't think you would stop the movement by supporting the outside of the slide, because the trailer frame bouncing is probably what is movement.

Just my 3 cents worth. :)

Jim

jpmorgan37

Midastouch;
There is some information, pictures and prices in this thread on the JT's Stabilizers. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2015&highlight=stabilizer. Short of jacking your coach up and putting it on a solid foundation, you won't eliminate all of the movement.
John

Midastouch

I have felt like it was the suspension that was causing the movement ... you don't feel anything unless you're sitting and someone/something moves ... I am really happy with the way it's built, etc... just trying to improve things if possible. I thought about getting the frame up off the axle/suspension a little bit ... may try that.

I just received my Rotochocks yesterday and will put them in .... I had bought the BAL wheel chocks prior to picking up the GC and the tires are too close to squeeze them in the way they should be used, so .... ( we even modified them like some others have by removing the spacers to close them up more, but that didn't work either)

Thanks for the info/suggestions!

BluegrassMan

Guy's:
I was told by a factory rep years ago " only cheap trailers rely on slideout jacks". Did you ever notice that they come in inexpensive trailers along with that jack that you put against the slide out while towing. THAT should tell ya something. I never owned a cheapy, even though the DW would have liked low payments ;o)

retroxrider

Here is what I was told by the guy that delivered my parents unit (he's highly recommended in the area and been delivering/setting up RV's for 10yrs):
1) Slide out stablizers are a No-No! Slides are meant to have a small amount of give to them.
2) To remove the "bounce" from the frame - make sure tires are properly inflated. Next, as suggested, use a jack (he used cinder blocks, patio bricks and PT plywood) to just touch the frame in front of the wheels. Now remove about 10 - 15 psi from the tires. This will settle the frame on the jacks and help remove the bounce.
3) He also recommended a king pin stabilizer if there was front end movement.

Hope this helps

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I purchased the JT StrongArm Jacks and think will be well pleased. I have them on the front but have to add a brace across the back first to finish my install because the brace on the back of my model is not the right distance per directions. I can already feel the difference with just the front install.
I had seen the video on the web and had got very interested in this setup but was a little leery. I happen to be at the dealer and there was a Landmark there getting some work done that had them installed. I asked the couple how they like the setup, they were totally happy with the improvement. He asked if we had seen the video and then had me and the service guy(big dude) shove on the front like in the video, was solid as a rock. I got mine from www.rvwholesalers.com and they were about $100.00 cheaper than the dealers price.----Ken