Towing the MPG 185 or 181

Would I be able to tow either the 185 or the 181 with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4? It has a V6 engine 290HP and a tow pkg.

brains77396

I do not see why not. I tow our 183 with a Nissan Frontier rated at 261 HP with a tow capacity of 6,300 LBS. How much can the Jeep tow, according to the owners manual? That should be your guiding light.

Would I be able to tow either the 185 or the 181 with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4? It has a V6 engine 290HP and a tow pkg.

kb0zke

Check your owner's manual, or ask the dealer. All mpg trailers have a gross weight of 3800 lbs, with tongue weights of 312 to 350 lbs. If those numbers are in line with what your vehicle can tow, then go ahead.

My tow rating is 5000 lbs. But I live in Utah with mountains all around so I just don't want to get too close to my tow rating when you figure in all the weight beyond the dry wt.

kb0zke

I would think that you shouldn't have too many problems. You will be 1200 pounds under your tow rating, even with the mpg fully loaded. You may not go up the hills as quickly as you would without a trailer, but that is to be expected. Just for grins, add your Jeep's gross weight to the 3800 pounds for the mpg and divide that total by the 290 hp your car claims. If that number is less than 30, you are under a very old rule of thumb for a yes/no decision on engine towing capability. In other words, each horsepower should be able to move 30 pounds.