Stop The Bucking

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
I will be taking possession of a new truck (2011 GMC 2500 HD Durmax/Allison) in a few days. While removing my current hitch (Husky Slider 16K) from the old truck I gave some thought to the bucking that occasionally went with towing our cyclone (2008 3912) on rough roads. Looking for advice from those who have either installed Air Ride Type Hitches or Pin Box Couplers as to options available and if they stop the bucking as the advertisements claim. I know from research on the internet the price of the hitches is substantial over the pin boxes. Any input and recommendations would be appreciated.

danemayer

We're happy with the TrailerSaver BD3. On good roads, it's easy to forget we're towing. This is our first 5er so we don't have experience with other hitches. Our friends, however, describe how beat up they feel after a day of driving. We don't experience that at all.

On bad roads, like in Illinois, well, the roads are bad. I don't know if any hitch will make up for a broken down road system.

beasleyrl

We have the Hensley Trailersaver TS3. Great hitch and great company to work with. We actually got this hitch before we got the 3912 so I can't compare this exact configuration with another hitch. However, I can compare it with and without air. HUGE difference! I won't go quite as far as danemayer and say it's easy to forget we're towing (after all - we do have 40+ feet of trailer behind us), but it is well worth the extra expense if you do a lot of traveling. We've used it from Key West to Maine and don't have any complaints. If doing it again, I would buy the onboard air compressor so that it could be adjusted while traveling and for varying road conditions.

I'd also stress that the 3912 is very heavy in the front if you don't have much weight in the back (my pin weight is about 3700 pounds). This hitch helps even with the heavy load.

rvn4fun

After pulling large 5th wheels with our old trusty Reese, we switched to the Airsafe hitch and there is no comparision. 4 way air suspension is the way to go. Spendy but you will never have to buy another hitch.

aatauses

We have a mor ride pin box and it has been great. I had some issues with flexing and took a look at the retrofit air for a husky hitch---we did buy one and have been very happy with the combination of mor ride pin with air added to the husky hitch. You can search on air hitch technology---great service also.
al

crazybanshee

We have 60K miles on our Trailersaver hitch and would highly recomend it for a save driving experience.
Doug

Gary521

After some research, I have the Fifth Airborne pin box and it works great. I also installed airbags. The combination seems to have reduced the chucking and bumping by about 90%. I have an extended cab HD 2500 Chevy short bed. A friend of mine has a similiar size 5th wheel with a crew cab F350 Ford long bed. He has air bags and adjustable shocks but not air hitch or pin box and his rides fine with the air bags pumped and the shocks set up. So it seems that the truck configuration probably has an effect of what works best. From what is in this forum, just about any pinbox improvement is better than what comes with the trailer standard.

lwmcguir

We have the CP and 5th Airborne pin. They both really helped and took a lot of stress off the TV and coach. Next step will be an air hitch. We eliminated 80% already and will be going for the final 20%.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Thanks to all for your comments and information on hitches and pin boxes. Lots of good information provided. Might be the time to upgrade the hitch. Will make my decision after attending a couple of RV shows here in Mn this week and next. Will check back here to see if any further recommendations have been made. Again, thanks!

DW_Gray

Here's my 2 cents. The Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box was installed on my Cyclone last August. I have been very pleased with it. It does what it suppose to. With that said, next time around, I may consider something like the TS3 Air Ride Hitch from TrailerSaver and keep the standard pin box on the trailer. The reason is that the Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box hangs really low when not attached to the 5th wheel. Since I don't currently have hydraulic landing gear, it's a long time consuming task to raise the Cyclone up to my hitch. I suppose the MOR/ryde pin box would not have this problem as much.

So if you still have the electric landing gear and don't plan to upgrade to hydraulic landing gear, I'd recommend the TrailerSaver.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
OK, I'll be different. We went with the Demco Glide Ride. That was good by itself, but last year we switched the hitch to the B&W. That helped even more. Then we put the Center Point on the fiver ... Even better! Now, since we are setting up for long distance travels, we are adding the PAC Brake air bags with on board compressor.

Overkill? Probably, but the mountains we will climb and the rough roads we will cover will make it worth it to us.

Anyway, the Demco works great and requires basically no maintenance.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
DW and Ziggy, again thanks for the information. DW good information on the "time consuming" process of lifing the cyclone to hitch level with electric (which I have) and Ziggy you have me thinking about the center point. Thanks again.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Really appreciate everyone's comments on this issue of "bucking" and the remedy's many have tried. I decided to stay with my current hitch and go with the Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box. Purchased it today and scheduled to have it put on in May after I get the snow off the cover. I liked what I read here about the pin box and what I found in other forums as well as other searches. Next step may be installing hydraulic landing gear. Again, thanks for the information and assistance in making this decision.