What to Do??? What to Do???

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
After we leave the 2011 Heartland Rally we are headed up to Grand Rapids MI for a few days with Carol's brother. Then up to the Traverse City area. DW has never been there and would like to go. After a few days in Traverse City I want to take the rig over the Mackinac Bridge and then down the Wisconsin side to by brother's place in Kenosha, WI before we head down to Knoxville, TN for Wing Ding.

Any suggestions on sites to see - roads to travel (and avoid) - places to stay in the Traverse City area of Michigan and between there and Kenosha, WI via the UP? We've got a couple of weeks from Goshen (leaving on June 20)to Knoxville (arriving on July 3) and would like to do some exploring. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks

ALF

Former Georgia Chapter Leaders
Hi Keith and Carol,
My wife and I live in Kenosha...small world isn't it. Are you originally from here? I look forward to meeting you at the rally.
We can give you some ideas on points of interest in Wisconsin like visiting Lambeau Field home of SuperBowl Champion Green Bay Packers, Door County, and the EAA Airventure Museum in Oshkosh. There is alot more sites to see and if you would like any type of brochures we would be happy to bring them to the National Rally for you. Are you looking for a campground in the Kenosha area to stay at?
Safe Travels
Paul

kkamshop

We are going to visit the Soo Locks on Friday, June 24th - it's Engineer's Day and the only day you are allowed to tour the locks. On the way we are stopping at Michigan Adventures amusement park in Muskegon and Mackinaw Island.

Razorback

Klindgren, sounds like we both have about the same plans, after the rally except for the visiting of family. I am not aware of any in that part of the country. We plan to head to the Traverse City area for a couple days then to Door County and Green Bay. Maybe you can share some ideas at the Rally that you come up with. We have never been to that area of the country. See you there.

klindgren

Hi Keith and Carol,
My wife and I live in Kenosha...small world isn't it. Are you originally from here? I look forward to meeting you at the rally.
We can give you some ideas on points of interest in Wisconsin like visiting Lambeau Field home of SuperBowl Champion Green Bay Packers, Door County, and the EAA Airventure Museum in Oshkosh. There is alot more sites to see and if you would like any type of brochures we would be happy to bring them to the National Rally for you. Are you looking for a campground in the Kenosha area to stay at?
Safe Travels
Paul

Thanks Paul. We will talk at the rally and I'll let you know what we have planned. I know a stop at Lambeau Field is a MUST. I was there as recent as last year watching my Packers win a pre-season game, but I want to see the Lombardi Trophy!! Especially now that it's home where it belongs!! I haven't found much in the way of camping close to Kenosha. My brother says we can back in along side his house and dry camp for the three days we'll be there. We'll have 15 amp electric and water so it's not true dry camping, but it's close to them and only for a few days.

I grew up in Kenosha. Graduated from Bradford. I left right after high school for the Marines. My sister-in-law teaches music in the school system and my brother is the Athletic Director for the Unified School District.

Look forward to meeting you and Sue in Goshen and again a couple weeks later in Kenosha.

Keith

klindgren

Klindgren, sounds like we both have about the same plans, after the rally except for the visiting of family. I am not aware of any in that part of the country. We plan to head to the Traverse City area for a couple days then to Door County and Green Bay. Maybe you can share some ideas at the Rally that you come up with. We have never been to that area of the country. See you there.

I'd like that David. Not sure what we are going to do yet, that's why I'm searching for ideas. The only "positive" is a stop at Lambeau Field. I've been there several times but Carol hasn't and I gotta see the Lombardi Trophy at home where it belongs! See you in Goshen and we'll compare travel ideas.

Thanks,

Keith

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Door county WI is very nice and also peacefull place. Make sure you take you wallets because with all the shopping there, it can be a expensive endeavor.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We'll be heading back to our site in Indian River (30 miles south of the bridge) for the remainder of the summer, after the rally. I don't know anything about CG's in the Traverse City area (there is a state park in town), but it is scenic. Depending on how long you'll be there, there are several wineries on Old Mission Peninsula (M-37) north of town. Sleeping Bear Dunes to the west (climbing to the top is not for the faint-hearted) is worth a look, too. Some may differ, but when leaving Traverse City to head north, I would NOT take US-31 north through Charlevoix and Petoskey. The road itself is not bad, but Charlevoix and Petoskey are summer tourist magnets and can be very congested. If you're looking to make up time, take M-72 back to I-75, to continue north.

Gary521

We took a similar trip last September. There are lots of great RV parks along Lake Michigan and you will enjoy the beach towns. We stopped in South Haven, Muskegon, Traverse City, Petosky and Mackinaw City in the lower peninsula. There is a great park on the south side of Traverse City. From there, you can tour around the peninsula west of Traverse City. Lots of wineries and Sleeping Bear Dunes. There are two parks in Mackinaw City that border on Lake Huron. You have a great view of the bridge and Mackinac island. In the UP, there is a park on the river just before the locks in Sault Ste Marie. We stayed in a small park in Newberry so we could visit Tahquamenon Falls and White Fish Point. In Munising, there is a nice park that borders Lake Superior. Most folks take the boat tour to see the Pictured Rocks National Shore. In the summer, I would definitely make reservations at any park that you plan to stay at. In September, the parks in Mackinaw City were almost full.

klindgren

JohnDar and Gary521 -- thank you both for some great ideas. That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Taking in some of the wineries on Old Mission Penisnula sounds great. And I've read about Sleeping Bear Dunes but until your posts never really put 2 and 2 together with the Traverse City area. JohnDar, as far as avoiding US-31 north of Traverse city, thanks but that's exactly some of the places Carol has expressly said she wants to visit. It may be worth trying to fit in a couple of day trips on the Gold Wing to those places so we don't have to go back through with the rig. Gary531 I've read about Tahquamenon Falls and would like to stop but it may not be on this trip. Just have to see how much time we have. Carol also wants to spend a day or two on the bike in Door County because she wants to see how much money she can take me for in all of the antique shops up there.

Thanks again for some great ideas.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
After we leave the 2011 Heartland Rally we are headed up to Grand Rapids MI for a few days with Carol's brother. Then up to the Traverse City area. DW has never been there and would like to go. After a few days in Traverse City I want to take the rig over the Mackinac Bridge and then down the Wisconsin side to by brother's place in Kenosha, WI before we head down to Knoxville, TN for Wing Ding.

Any suggestions on sites to see - roads to travel (and avoid) - places to stay in the Traverse City area of Michigan and between there and Kenosha, WI via the UP? We've got a couple of weeks from Goshen (leaving on June 20)to Knoxville (arriving on July 3) and would like to do some exploring. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks

Keith, you are not going to bel;ieve this but we are heading up to MIch. after the rally too. Going first to Midland and then up to the bridge.

Let's not tell Pete though!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
JohnDar and Gary521 -- thank you both for some great ideas. That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Taking in some of the wineries on Old Mission Penisnula sounds great. And I've read about Sleeping Bear Dunes but until your posts never really put 2 and 2 together with the Traverse City area. JohnDar, as far as avoiding US-31 north of Traverse city, thanks but that's exactly some of the places Carol has expressly said she wants to visit. It may be worth trying to fit in a couple of day trips on the Gold Wing to those places so we don't have to go back through with the rig. Gary531 I've read about Tahquamenon Falls and would like to stop but it may not be on this trip. Just have to see how much time we have. Carol also wants to spend a day or two on the bike in Door County because she wants to see how much money she can take me for in all of the antique shops up there.

Thanks again for some great ideas.

A day trip to Charlevoix or Petoskey with your bike or a vehicle would not be too bad. I'd just try to avoid pulling your rig through those areas, unless it were early or late in the day. The main drag in Charlevoix has several shops and restaurants along it. There's a decent restaurant that sits right next to the drawbridge an overlooks the channel out to Lake Michigan. Nice place for lunch if the weather is good. Petoskey has a bunch of shops and eateries, as well, but they're off the main drag a bit. They have a nice park that overlooks the bay, also.

Tahquamenon Falls is worth a visit, but from Traverse City, it would be a really long ride. Mackinac Island would be doable, if you leave TC early to catch a ferry (they run most of the day). Be sure to study up on the difference between chocolate fudge and horse droppings, though. There's plenty of both.

klindgren

Keith, you are not going to bel;ieve this but we are heading up to MIch. after the rally too. Going first to Midland and then up to the bridge.

Let's not tell Pete though!!!
Oh heck no. I ain't tellin Pete nuttun...he may try to follow us just like a little (or in Pete's case, not so little) lost puppy. YOU know how he is!! ;)

Midland is where I went to Santa Claus school. I was such a bad student they made me go a second time.:D Had a blast at the school. Be sure to look up the Santa House when you are there. That's where the school is every October.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Oh heck no. I ain't tellin Pete nuttun...he may try to follow us just like a little (or in Pete's case, not so little) lost puppy. YOU know how he is!! ;)

Midland is where I went to Santa Claus school. I was such a bad student they made me go a second time.:D Had a blast at the school. Be sure to look up the Santa House when you are there. That's where the school is every October.

I saw the Sanata School in downtown Midland last December. I really like that town and that area of Mich.
We were going to go up to the bridge last december but a storm coming through cut our plans short.
Cant wait to see Mich in the Summer.