TV mount

I'd like to mount a flatscreen tv. The tv opening is only like 25" but with a mount i can make the tv fit on the outside of the opening.
My question is are there any studs in the tv opening or does anyone know the best way to secure the mount in a manner that it will not fall off the wall.
I've attched a picture.

Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• TV Opening.jpg
    TV Opening.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 98

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know for sure about having studs behind the wall, but I kinda doubt it. If the side walls of your opening are solid, I would screw a 1x2x10" long cleat to each side. Then I would cut a piece of plywood, maybe 1/2 in, to fit in the span. Cover the plywood with some speaker cabinet felt and attach it to the cleats. Then mount the TV to that.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Dave's got it. The opening should be framed with 2x2, so you can span across with something more substantial than the 1/4" luaun board.

But, to see if there is anything back there, you can tap across the width, listening for a stud. Or get a stud finder and try to find one. I think in our 3670 TV hole, there may be a single stud hidden behind the flimsy thin panel, based on probing the holes where the wall mount USED to be, that got ripped out with the TV. My plan is to span the opening with a section of stained 3/4" cabinet plywood and attach the new mount to that.

porthole

Retired
I would call your factory rep or post the question in the ask the factory section. Most of the new trailers are coming with backing plates (wood) in the normal TV areas.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
E careful not to go to far into the wall. Looms to me ta be a pocket door behind it. I would think that there is something behind there. The factory also puts a TV there. Might need the backer board but use short screws. The more the better.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe the newer models have something easy to find, but from the looks of my TV mount area, it looks like they had to use a load of bird shot to find it. The only spot that felt like there was something behind it was that hole where the wood has been pulled out into a pimple.

My plan is to remove the panel and have a real look-see.

View attachment 11973View attachment 11974

Sorry about hijacking this thread.

pegmikef

Whatever you decide, remember that you have to have an easy way of securing the TV for travel.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You may be able to get it at a store like Radio Shack, or a shop that installs speaker cabinets in cars.

Peace
Dave