PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Repairs

Uncle Rog
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Howdy folks, attached is my latest and greatest fixit list. Take a look and see if any of these are mutual issues shared by anybody else. On Tuesday 3/6 I am going over to check out the underside of the BH just to see what it looks like......

bsnider
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Your items look like the usual manufacter mistakes etc that we all get. I have two items that I consider design flaws that may not be a problem now, but if yours is designed like mine, they will be a problem. :eek:

1. Look under your bedroom slide (I have the 3400 RL) and if it is designed like mine, there is a long flat area across the bottom with a small part of the rubber flap touching it and providing a seal across it. With time, assuming it is touching now, the fiberglass will sag and it will no longer touch leaving room for cold air and wasps to enter under your bed. I have put a gasket on the fiberglass for the rubber flap to bump up against and provide a more solid connection.

2. Under the other two slideouts, there are black plastic pieces designed to keep the electrical cables in place. These plastic pieces are bolted directly to the frame and flex each time the slide out is moved in and out. One of mine has broken where it is bolted to the frame and I will be putting a hinge on it instead of just bolting another one. I believe that they will all break in time if not changed. I am not sure if I want to wait for the other one to break for my design fix or just do it. I will probably just do it.

Note: Give me a couple of weeks and I will try and have pictures and notes up on my web site.

Uncle Rog
03-02-2007, 02:19 PM
BS, that would be great, I have also done some "custom" changes on my own for convenience sake, nothing to void any warranty issues. My next change will be to move the 110v box in the docking station to the outside in a weather proof box and use the existing penetration in the wall to install a valve or two so that I can use the water pump in reverse to re-fill the water tank from a barrel when dry camping....thanks for the tips...

jbeletti
03-02-2007, 03:41 PM
UR,

I moved this thread out of the Ask The Factory forum as I am trying to keep the ATFs strictly for posting online questions to the factory and for their online response.

Thanks,

Jim

ChopperBill
03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Hey Rog, you really dont want to see my list do you? Not sure this forum has enough band width! ;)

Chulinw
03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Rog you are lucky just to have that few items on the list. I gave the dealer over 25 five items after the first trip and the Customer Rep said are you "Joking" I told him no and let's take a walk thru the unit and bring your red dots to show what has to be fix. I have been out of warranty for over a
year and still have some of the same problems again and again. Good luck.

Uncle Rog
03-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks Chulinw, This is my third or fourth visit back and am very familiar with the drill....it would be too bad to happen to someone else, in my case it is a tragedy!

HappyKayakers
03-02-2007, 07:43 PM
UR, I had 3,5,7. Got the water intrusion under the dinette slide fixed by a dealer in Lubbock under warranty. When I got back to Amarillo, discovered the 12v wires that had been frayed under the kitchen slide. Had a dealer come onsite to repair, reimbursed under warranty. Poor airflow from the furnace is only in the bedroom. Since we don't plan on staying in cold weather over another winter and have a small ceramic heater, I'm not very concerned about that one.

sailorand
03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
hi Roger
Had the wet carpet. Caulk both sides where the carpet shows, under the slide.
Door moulding redone. I will redo when we get home. Going to foam in behind to stop air leak.
Belt has been replaced with longer one and different mount.
and quite a few more. Our list is starting to grow to about 10 items for when we get home

The RV-Ramblers
03-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Rog,
You may want to look at my thread, //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2170. It relates to a problem that I was having related to the kitchen vinyl.

Jim_1899
03-03-2007, 07:39 PM
This is a good reminder for me since we took delivery of our Bighorn in April last year. The warranty period is getting close to the end. I don't have very much that I needs to get repaired. (handle on the holding tank, ripped rubber seal under bedroom slide and thats it).

I will find out for those who having problems with the airflow, my dealer made some modifications with the duct work to give me better airflow. They said that it corrects the problem that has occured. They have been a really good dealer. One last note that made me very happy is that I paid my last payment on my Ford F350. : - )

jpmorgan37
03-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Jim 1899;
Congratulations on the last payment. Did you have a coupon book burning party? See you in May.
John

Tom of Ypsi
03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
I can relate to the paying off of the truck. Mine will be paid off later this month and hopefully the Landmark later this year. Sure looking forward to the apyment book burning party. Maybe we should burn them at the rally.

Uncle Rog
03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies, once we get these items fixed with a good maintenance program I think I can keep things rolling....UR

tdharley
03-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I must be lucky, which usually is not true. After using my BH all last season the only warranty issue I have is the cable on one holding tank has come disconnected, (which I probably will fix myself since I wanted to install the motorized valves). I have not even had the wet carpet problem but was sent the repair gaskets "just in case".

There were little things, door adjustments, drawer adjustment, remote thermostat relocation & some general wire cleanups. Besides that I am very happy, SO FAR.

After reading other forums & Trailer life articles I think I did pretty good.

Maybe I accept more as normal problems since I am a builder & see small issues all the time in my new homes.

Uncle Rog
03-04-2007, 04:53 PM
td, I concur 100%, if it was'nt for the few major issues i've encountered and if it was easier to get into the liner area I would take care of the vast majority of fix's myself. I am curious about the motorized valves you refered to? I am having the same outdoor sound system you posted a while back installed this week while it is in the shop nice unit....UR

sailorand
03-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi Roger
You said something about getting the warrenty extended for time spent while in for repairs. Could you let me know how to go about getting extended
Thanks Rand

nhunter
03-04-2007, 11:15 PM
I had the wet doorside slide on our 3600RL and 1 broken wire support but I just made my last payment so I'm happy. I told the wife we can finnaly get a "don't laugh it's paid for sticker".:D

Uncle Rog
03-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Rand, I think that the warranty info was part of the purchase / sales paperwork. Keep track of all the down time for that purpose. I will also post in "ask the factory" and contact Chris at Heartland for more info. We do not want to be orphaned before all is well.....Roger

tdharley
03-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey Rog,

Heres a link to the valves I was refering to:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=196

I will be taking my rig out this weekend from storage and have a long list of stuff I bought during the winter I need to install. If time permits I am going to install the valves.

I have a lot to do though:
2 new fantastic roof vents
2000 watt Zantrex inverter with remote
4 105 batteries
B&W hitch for the truck
3 maxxair vent covers
Zaxxis landing gear remote
King dome sat. system

WOW, I am just realizing how much I have to do !!!!!!!!!!

Chulinw
03-06-2007, 07:20 PM
tdharley do you know a good place to put the valves? I guess you will have provide that information after you do the installation. You do have a good idea on the electric valves. Thanks for providing the information.

tdharley
03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I will have a better idea of the installation after I take the bottom panels off this weekend. Also the motorized valve replaces the exsisting manual valves, by removing the 4 bolts that sandwich them in. It is a easy install as long as I can get to the valves.

Although I do not do alot of "dry" camping I do go to a "kickoff" weekend and will need a full tank of water. I keep reading about this siphoning problem and will investigate that with the bottom exposed. I have had many other units that did not ever have that problem and were vented back to the water fill.

I also want to see about the fresh water supply dip tube not reaching the bottom of the tank?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmm?????????

cdbMidland
03-06-2007, 10:40 PM
tdharley

At last year's rally, a factory representative from Fantasic Vent was present and suggested that the MaxAir covers are not needed with their product and could interfere with the maximum cover opening.

Someone who was there, please correct me if I am mistaken.

nhunter
03-06-2007, 11:01 PM
I wasn't there but remember hearing about clearance / other issues.

tdharley
03-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I have had the covers on all my rigs and although not needed I have found them to be quite handy for the following reasons:

1.Ventilation in the rain, especially the bathroom (really needs it after I am done). The bedroom needs ventilation during EVERY shower to avoid moisture buildup.
2. If for some reason I need to leave them open while driving , they are more substantial than the cover and IMO are less likely to fly off.
3. Leaves and debris on the screen & fan while camping.

I do not think they are any higher than my AC unit (see my signature pic for comparison).

As I said I have had them installed before and have not noticed a significant decrease in c.f.m due to the covering, but that could be true. I will take the tradeoff.

jpmorgan37
03-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Chuck;
You are not mistaken. That is what he said, but I also understand what TD is saying. With some of the wind that we have here, I wouldn't dare leave ours open and I don't have the MaxAir covers. I don't worry about the rain because our rain sensors work well, plus we haven't had hardly any rain in the past six months.
John

tdharley
03-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Well I did not get as far as I thought I would today. Did not get to the valves yet.

I forgot I have toppers to install also

2 new fantastic roof vents
2000 watt Zantrex inverter with remote
4 105 batteries
B&W hitch for the truck..............................DONE
3 maxxair vent covers
Zaxxis landing gear remote...........................DONE
King dome sat. system
Ref. vent cover replacement.........................DONE
Remote control for the ceiling fan

jbeletti
03-10-2007, 06:49 PM
tdh,

Share some pics with us of your upgrades when you get a chance. I'd be interested in your wiring plan for the inverter. I designed a plan for a trailer that could be in my future. It may be overly complicated though. So I'm trying to learn from everyone.

Jim

Jim_1899
03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
TD, tell me about the fantastic roof vents. I took Bighorn to my dealer, Coleman Country Campers for a few minor repairs. I am having them replace the standard fan in the bedroom with a fantastic fan. I have always planned on a second air in the bedroom but I really don't need it and I know my wife would want to use it on full and I would freeze.

I have a MaxxAir vent over the bathroom fan. I was unsure about putting a MaxxAir vent over the fantastic fan, because I did not want to restrict the airflow, but what does the fantastic vent do.

ct0218
03-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Like John, both my Fantastic Fans have rain sensors and I don't need the vent covers, but, my fan covers open very high and I would think it would hit the inside of the Maxxair long before it was fully open. That would have to be hard on the gears.

trdeal
03-11-2007, 06:04 AM
I installed the cover over our Fantastic Fan on our Mt. Rushmore and Clark is right, when the FF cover raises up it does hit the cover I installed. But the FF is designed to stop when it hits an obstruction. The instructions say do not use as it will obstruct air flow. Since I already had it installed I wanted to hear it straight from the "horses mouth" so to speak before I took it off. When I called they put me on the line with a tech. who said that air flow would be somewhat restricted but not enough to damage anything.Do what I wanted to do about taking it off. He said if we had the rain sensor the best thing to do was to clean the screen filter and fan and to spray some 303 protectant on both. I do have the rain sensor,so I took the cover off and bought some 303.

tdharley
03-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I too have the rain sensor, but want the option to leave the vent open in the rain.

If the weather holds out here in New York (high 50's, sunny:cool: ) I am going to tackle them today and will let you know how it went. Also if I remember correctly on my last rig there was an adjustment to stop the cover from touching the enclosure.

Either way I will see today and if it is too much interference I will rethink my decision.

Jim, I bought the Xantrex with 2 circuits and automatic changover so it should be as simple as rerouting those out of the circuit panel & running a 110 wire to the inverter (hopefully). I plan to run the kitchen & entertainment center to the inverter. I will possibly also junction the bedroom circuit to the kitchen for the TV only.

Does anyone know how to disable the onboard charger since the inverter has a 3 stage charger built in?

jbeletti
03-11-2007, 07:53 AM
tdh,

As an FYI, I was told by an RV tech that the AC panel used in the Landmark (and presumably the Bighorn) are 220 type and therefore can be split. If true, running 110 VAC only as we do, you "could" split your loads up within the single AC breaker panel and power 1 side from the inverter in order to save running an external panel. Just a thought.

Have fun working on the trailer today. It was about 60 here in Chicago yesterday so I drove out to my CG to check on the unit and measure the patio up for a potential concrete patio pour. Trailer was still there - apparently rodent-free too. :)

Be well,

Jim

Jim

tdharley
03-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Good idea Jim I will look at that when I go back out.

I came in to go to the Inelipower website which is the converter/charger I have . There website was no help so I emailed them.

I did find that the Maxxair DO interfere with the vent covers by about 2", I am rethinking them.

More important someone mention that they would add to the overall clearence. I brought up my surveying laser and pole. My rig is level and the height to the top of the AC unit is 12'11" and to the top of the maxxair would be 13'1". Another reason to rethink the covers.

Well back outside , talk to you tonight

ChopperBill
03-11-2007, 09:55 AM
TDH, I wired a small rocker switch, next to my inverter on-off switch, on the neutral side of the converter where it comes into the panel. If I dont shut the converter off the ATS (auto transfer switch) keeps clicking on and off. I could just turn the breaker off for the converter but wanted to make it simple for Renee. When you turn the inverter on you turn the converter off. And Vice-versa.

Uncle Rog
03-11-2007, 10:45 AM
tdh, you will really like the xantrx / T-105 set up, it gives you nice quiet power, and if you use it sparingly the batteries sray up surprisingly well, especially if you equalize the system prior to going out for an extended stay. I get a little static on my TV so I am requesting an upgrade on my dish receiver to aleviate that. Let us know if you think the Zaxxis is worth the investment? UR

Ray LeTourneau
03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Like John, both my Fantastic Fans have rain sensors and I don't need the vent covers, but, my fan covers open very high and I would think it would hit the inside of the Maxxair long before it was fully open. That would have to be hard on the gears.

The installation instructions for the standard max air cover tell you it's not recommended to be used for a fantastic fan. I'm not sure why. I have used them over a standard manual fantastic fan with no problem but the fact that it limits the cover opening may reek havoc with the rain sensor fantastic fans. When you set the thermostat on the wall for the fan, the cover opens automatically and stops at a certain point. The standard max air cover would stop the cover from opening too soon and may damage the gears or motor.

tdharley
03-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Well I am out from under the rig and found out alot.

I fixed the cable on the drain, a simple loosening 2 screws, reinserting the cable and tighten up.

All the drain valves are accesible for my electric drain valve modification.

My spare tire is mounted directly under my water tank. I am gioing to remove the mount & weld some heavier angle iron to it. When I reinstall it I will chock the tank to the bottom port which in my opinion is quite high. The water that is in the bottom of the tank is frozen. I am 100% sure I "power drained" it properly before storing it. I am also going to tee off the bottom outlet with a manual drain valve. I also see the problem with the vents, the vent hoses are lower than the top of the tank. I think since I have the bottom exposed I am going to tee them together to a 3/4" vent higher than the top of the tank. Not sure excactly how I am gonna do it but I will sleep onit. I do my best thinking when I am sleeping. Dont laugh it's true.

Heres alink to my photos:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558121896znMZtb

Also thanks for all the advice.

Uncle Rog
03-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Good pictures, your water tank does not appear to even have the light straps supporting the osb. The only thing frozen here is in the freezer, it is 90 with 10% humidity, ho in the sun, chilly in the shade. I like the key box idea, I guess door locks are different, in Furnace creek we discovered that we could open every storage / eqipment bay in the valley...Good job and great ideas...............

tdharley
03-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Rog

Thanks for the comments.

I would like to know more about the "ho in the sun". Is she good lookin.... And is chilly her sister?

My tank has one strap connected to the 2 main supports, you cannot see it in the picture.

Also can anybody tell me why we need 4 vents on the water tank? I have looked around and found the water kit below. It shows a drain, supply and vent line. The vent line usually goes to the back of the tank fill which is high enough to not let water out. I think our tanks have more vents to choose one to make the piping easier and plugging the rest.

http://www.dyersonline.com/CatalogImages/barkerwatertank1.jpg

Uncle Rog
03-11-2007, 06:56 PM
tdh, That was a typo "hot" in the sun was intended, Although the Crow Bar in Shoshone....never mind. You do not need 4 vents, it is "code", code for what I have no idea. I am in for my last trip as a family member, soon to be orphaned, and I have instructed the shop to shim the tank on the DS 1", fully support and plug the ODS vents and re direct the others. I copied your stereo idea, where did you finf the the key storage? Gotta go Suzi is bringing in limes so I hafta go to work....Guacomole and Margarita's...Fix that tank.........UR

svd
03-11-2007, 07:06 PM
TDH,
I wondered the same thing about the tank, and figured that because it covers such a large area and is so shallow, that the slightest deflection when filling it could cause air pockets in the corners and reduce water capacity.

tdharley
03-12-2007, 05:57 AM
I knew if I slept on it I would come up with some ideas.

I am going connect one vent to the outlet on the fill, after I find out what is piped there now. I am then going to install an adjustable pressure releif valve on one outlet (just in case)& plug the last.

Also I am going to remove the screws on one side of the angle iron that is supporting the tank and set it up higher for pitch instead of chocking it. I am also going to lay in 2 more peices of angle iron next to the exsisting strap under the OSB.

Also since I have the bottom open I will run my inveter wires in the underbelly.

**** Im good:D

Chulinw
03-12-2007, 07:18 PM
tdharley,
Dam you are good. You want to come down to Fl and park in my drive way I have 50amp service and I ask you to help me some and then we can go out to the sugar white sand beach and look at all the girls on college vacation and get the eyes all charge up.

tdharley
03-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Sounds good I missed bikeweek last week

Uncle Rog
03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Here's a couple of pictures of the tank shimming fix, the first one shows the tank jacked up, prior to shimming to see how the water draws, the second one shows the blocking on the DS frame, note the angle iron is being adjusted so that the entire tank is fully supported and is not tweeked.......UR

tdharley
03-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Got home a little early from work today so I did some water tank work.

I installed a manual drain valve, pressure releif valve & plugged 2 out of the remaining 4 vents (there were 5 in total). While I was under there I replaced all the feedlines with 1/2" PEX tubing and installed a siphon system. I got the idea for the siphon system from another thread about carrying a small amount of water and using the winterizing suction line for a feed.

Tommorow I am going to repipe the 2 remaining outlet with PEX tubing and run them back to the fill for a vent.

Also after taking a close look at my tank I realized it is installed at a pitch toward the outlet. I am just going to reinforce the angle iron with some thicker stock.

It also seems like my tank is installed differently then yours Rog. My tank is supported on the bottom edges with angle iron & then strapped together. I also do not have any room to shim it up due to a support beam above the top of the tank.

The pictures are here if you want to see them:

http://community.webshots.com/album/558170964jsfDrD

Uncle Rog
03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Very clean install tdh, in the northern climes that drain will be real handy for winterizing or just keeping the tank clean, at some point, when I have to open her up myself, I will add the same, I am saving your pictures for reference. How does the siphon valve work, what lines did you connect? Once again nice clean work....UR

Chulinw
03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Tks for posting what you have done thd. Very good ideas...

tdharley
03-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Hey Rog

I subscribe to KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid..........

When the valve is open and the brass cap is on the pump is acessing the water tank. Conversly, when the valve is off and cap is off (a hose hooked up to antifreeze or water) it accesses through there.

jpmorgan37
03-16-2007, 07:48 AM
tdharley;
I really like the new Avatar. Super job on the redo and thanks for posting the pictures. You add a lot to the forum with your updates.
John

Uncle Rog
03-16-2007, 09:23 AM
tdh, I see now, my valves are situated a little different but the alteration is do-able, good job.
The Horn is home from the warranty trio....thimk I am going to be real happy this time! After I run a full systems check I will post a complete report.............UR

tdharley
03-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Well its snowing here in New York so I went out for some more supplies for the mods.

I was at West Marine to purchase some #2 battery cable and found that I needed a mortgage for 20 feet....$120.00....Whew

So anyway low and behold theres a rectangle water holding tank on the shelf. Guess how many vents......... 1.

(1)1/2" vent, (1) 1/2" feed and one (1) 1-1/4" fills. So I ask the guy about our 5 vent system and the whole pressure story, he said he did not honestly know why there are 5. He then says (probably because there was no in the store but me & I just dropped $425.00)that he would call the manufactuer. The rep. of course did not want to commit to anything but said their tanks do not need that many vents.

Well if the weekend is not a washout I am gonna try to finish underneath & wire the Inverter. Anybody want to come over & help?????????? Beers on me.

Uncle Rog
03-16-2007, 04:50 PM
tdh, heck, if it wasn't snow'n in New York, and 80 here, and if it wasn't 3500 miles away and if my BH was still in the shop and if my wife wasn't free, or at least reasonable,for the weekend, I'd race right over there for free beers and a lesson in inverter installation. With my help you would be the first one on your block to do a $400 job for $2600 in extra materials. Good luck with the weather.....UR

tdharley
03-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Your just jeaolus because I get to use my big honkin shiny red snowblower.....LOL

You have to use all that suntanoil that clogs your pores and wear sunglasses that probably make you look like a gangster.

Chulinw
03-16-2007, 06:13 PM
tdh like that bike you are on. Can I use it for a nice summer weekend with one of the hot chicks you got in the other picture. HE! You got man....

Uncle Rog
03-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Howdy folks, the Horn is home and I am pretty darn pleased. Well I started this thread so here is what happened. The shop only took 10 days to get most things addressed. I will address my biggest concerns.
1) the water tank is shimmed up on the DS about 1" and two of the vents on the OD side were plugged and the two vents on the the top were combined and redirected to make access easier by the gravity drain. I ran two tests, one with a garden hose meter, the other with a five gallon pail, hold 5.5 gals. I now can drain 55-60 gals, that works for me. With the transfer pump I am good.
2)The ripped vinyl is on order, Joe wants to figure a fix before it is replaced so it does'nt happen again.
7)The furnace now works like a charm, a seal was not installed on the rear of the unit properly and a 5" floor penetration for plumbing was right in front of the return. With everything tightened / sealed up, it works great! I am finally just like Chopperbil, warm and toasty!
9)The delam on the storage door is waiting for parts also, not horrible but it will only get worse.
Joe at J&L in Fontana is OK with me, he has a contract to repair the front caps on 200 Mandalay diesel pushers but they still had time to get me going, kudos to Heartland for using a good shop! They even fixed mouldings that I did not see and fixed the shower door so that now I need to use the sea lock, and clipped body screws that were rubbing and not noticed.
I want to thank Heartland for taking care of me. When I go back to finish,final adjustments, and when parts have arrived, my only other concern is that the Lippert flex covers for the slide wires will fail. Other than that "I'm a happy camper".

tdharley
03-18-2007, 03:14 PM
The repairs look good.

Did you get any noticable gurgling or backpressure when filling the tank?

When I was in the sprinkler business we would open a garden hose fully into a 5 gallon bucket and time it to see how long it took to fill and that was our gallon per minute. You can take that number and multiply by the minutes it takes to fill your tank to get the total gallons. Not exact but close.

I expect to put my tanks back together as soon as the snow melts.

My grandkids and I had soup and sandwiches and watched King Kong out there today, they are looking forward to the good weather.

Uncle Rog
03-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks tdh, I had some gurgling when I was power draining the tank somewhere around 40 gals, it seemed to be coming from the fresh water fill, no back pressure that I could detect. When the overflow started I shut it off and added 5 more gals and called it good. I have a couple of garden hose meters that i used as well as the 5 gal bucket. I filled the bucket with 5 loads from a one gal jug and then it took 1/2 gal more. When I drained with the bucket it showed higher capacity. I should / will post some pictures tonight. I got a little sunburned yesterday between messing with the BH and smoking up a bunch of ribs. Good luck with the snow...UR