Leavenworth

Gaffer

I am planning a trip to Leavenworth this summer. From Portland Mapquest looks like the drive times are about equal heading east on 84 then north on 97 or I-5 north to the 18, NE on the 18 to the 90, east to Cle Elum then north on 97. My question since I have never been in this area except for I-5 is how is the road for towing (grades, and such on the 90 and 18? I think I would like to do it as a loop. Would I be better off going east or west on the 90?
Thanks all.

grizzlygiant

We have been there a number of times; it is a favorite Christmas spot for us. You should not have any trouble with the routes you propose. Enjoy

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
My personal preference would be north to I90 driving Snoqualmie going east. Although there is some climbing, to me it seems less demanding than the long climb going west. Returning via Stevens Pass on HWY2 is a beautiful drive but mostly a 2 lane road with some lane divisions near the pass. The SR routes you mention should not be an issue. I have not towed Blewett Pass on 97 (4000ft) but many do it without issue.

Have a great time! And...if you are in the area August 19, 20, & 21, that is the Washington State Heartland Owners Club 2011 Rally. (Anacortes, WA)

Best Wishes!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
What is the SR18 like between I-5 and and I-90?

Very busy! :eek:

Other than the traffic you should have few issues. A lot of it is four-lane and six-lane highway. Traffic Cameras

I did the Mapquest thing from Gresham and came up with 267 miles via the 84 route and 296 via I5 route...not that it makes any difference but I would do most anything to avoid I5 especially through the Olympia/Tacoma area! I hate that section of I5. Seems like it is always a stop and go adventure!