5th Wheel Hitches

jbeletti

Prior to getting my current Heartland Landmark, my first 5er, I purchased a Draw-Tite 15K Pro hitch. Well, I guess I didn't think I'd ever load my unit up to its GVWR but I have (squarely at 16,000 loaded/wet).

I'm seriously considering a hitch upgrade. On another thread, I mentioned that I was looking into the B&W Turnover-Ball with the Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.

Thinking ahead to a new Landmark, my guess is that they won't be getting lighter and I want a few more things in/on mine. With an eye towards this sort of a future rig, I am re-thinking the Companion hitch.

I was in Elkhart today and I stopped by Dan's Service to look at hitches. Bob Stevens showed me what they had besides the Companion. I sort of liked the Curt Manufacturing 20K Q5 5th Wheel Hitch.

320BE6DF-B9A4-E552-A607-7B589F1F3EA0.jpg

61AFAA55-5BEF-0E75-F365-5321412288B1.jpg

Specs look pretty good - 20,000# max. pull and 5,000# pin. Cost is $450 to about $600 depending on where you get it (plus cost of rails). If I get it, I plan to use my current rails.

Anyone heard of this manufacturer and/or have any experience with their product?

Thanks,

Jim

ChopperBill

I am going to have to cast my vote for the B&W. Like I said before there is no clanking or bucking like in the other hitches I have been around. The clearances on this thing is so close that I cant use a lube plate. I tried one once and couldn't tell when it was ready to uncouple. Now I use white grease like a real truck driver. :D Yep, more money. but there is a reason.

phranc

Being able to use the standard rails saves some money ..Looks like the Curt uses a split jaw( like on your present Reese) rather than a wrap around style.There has been some controversy about that, unfounded I think, but nevertheless the wrap around jaw is solid and won't come undone.The B&W has some forward and aft adjustment which may help in weight distribution and ride quality. Certainly the B&W is a quality ,time proven product with good customer service. As weight capacity is a criteria for you, perhaps going up to a 25,000# hitch may be an option.. Just my thoughts , your mileage may vary

jbeletti

Denny - The Curt uses standard rails so the hitch will mate up well with Reese/Draw-Tite rails and others.

Frank/Bill - Thanks for the input on the B&W. Having the gooseneck capabilty could be a plus down the road if one were to need to pull a gooseneck style trailer. And the quality looks great. The downside for me on the Companion is more the max pin weight of 4,500#. I could actually hit close to that with a new trailer. I'll have other things to think about then too - like how much I am over on my 1-ton DRW GVCWR etc.

With the Curt, I'd have a little more margin.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming.

Jim

driver311

jim look at pullright there also have a complete rap around hitch when it wares it just slides around tighter so there is never any slack

driver311

guy_914

Jim....we talked already on this...you know my opinion...defitely the B&W turnball with the Companion. You can get both parts, with shipping, delivered for $1020. The install install is not that hard on your own. With both all parts...weighs in at about 285 lbs....so that comes off the pin weight capacity of your RAM 3500 DRW. In contast the Reese Signature, 18K is about 100 lbs less.....is also removable leaving your bed clear except for 4 slightly raised mounting pucks.

The B&W has lots of higher cost plated parts...and their model is specifically designed to utilize the tubular frame of the new RAMs....no welding, drilling holes in the frame. You have drill the one 4" hole and 4, 1/2 smaller holes thru your box bed...thats it.

I alos believe B&W Companion has one of the best setups for height adjustments (3), as wheel as shifting the distance from the center post, 2" one way...and 1" the other with relation to the rear axle. The 4" hole center....centerline of the hitch....is just forward of the rear axle, as it should be...and then can shift forward...or back...using the Companion adjustments.

just my $0.02....

John Best
WI