Cyclone 3010 Inverter Installation

watchthebox

I recently finished installing additional batteries in my Cyclone 3010 (see thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/22253-Cyclone-3010-Battery-Upgrade). I have now begun installing an inverter. I chose a Magnum MS2012. I had initially thought to use a Xantrex ProSine 1800 inverter, as the charger that comes with the Cyclone is reportedly a good one, and the Xantrex has good specs and no charger. However, the pass through capacity of that Xantrex model is only 15A, which I didn't think would be enough for the circuits I wanted to power with it, so I settled on the Magnum.

My plan is to take out the four circuits I want to be able to run on battery power: microwave, bedroom, bathroom, and cargo pass through, and put those in a subpanel box.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far:

Inverter bolted up on ceiling of pass through cargo hold. The Magnum is a fairly large and heavy inverter (40+ pounds). I didn't think screws in the aluminum joists alone would be enough to securely hold inverter up, so I screwed metal brackets to the sides of the joists. Before I screwed these brackets up I placed 5/16" carriage bolts in appropriate holes in the brackets. Fortunately the hole spacing and joist spacing were just right to line up with the mounting holes of the inverter. Here are pictures of the inverter up and a close-up of the brackets:
Inverter Up.jpg
Inverter Brackets.jpg

I wasn't sure where to locate the subpanel box. I didn't want to take up any more space in the cargo area (the inverter is big enough as it is), so I decided to put in in a space behind one of the panels in the basement, near the DS.
Installed Subpanel Breaker Box.jpg

Subpanel Breakers Close-Up.jpg

Subpanel breaker box installed open.jpg

I'm going to feed the inverter with two hot leads from a 30A dual pole breaker. Doing it this way, I am told, will allow the charger to function independently of the loads when connected to shore power/generator running. One lead then goes from inverter to subpanel box. I'm not an electrician, so I'm pretty much figuring things out as I go along. Fortunately the Magnum manual is good, as is their tech support. I would certainly appreciate any input from the forum as well.

greylynn

Looks good, the Xantrex I got was soo heavy it had to be installed on the floor of the compartment. I will make a thread on mine also. It is getting installed for me though. I did buy all the wires, fuse, wire the batteries and stuff though.

The installers are going to make all my outlets hot since the inverter can be set to come on only at a certain amount of draw. From what I read in the manual there can't be any parasitic draw this way. Once I actually get it back and read the whole manual and figure it all out I can speak more intelligently.

Your install looks nice! I wish I had the time to do mine before my planned trip. Keep the thread and pics going.

When are you going to go solar?

Also what dunes are you going to? I'm going to Dumont now because of the weather at Sand Mtn.

Greylynn

jbeletti

Nice looking work WTB.

I saw an awesome inverter/solar install on a coach in TX a couple years ago and took some pics. I shared them last year with a couple from MI and they were inspired by it to do their own. They traded their BH for a LM Grand Canyon and did it in there. Anyway, I saw their install yesterday and all I can say is WOW! They did a great job. Gonna try to take some pics of it tomorrow when I return the tools I borrowed from them for some of my own mods :)

Jim

watchthebox

Thanks Greylynn. I wish I had the time to install mine before our trip too! :eek: My rig's a mess. All the basement panels are off. I am almost done, though. Just have to finish up DC wiring and install remote panel. It takes more time than you'd think to attend to all the details of the installation. Solar installation is up next. I have all the components: 2 X 180W panels, MPPT charge controller, cabling. Just need to find time. Realistically it's not going to happen before this weekend. We were thinking about going to the high desert, but it looks like it's going to be too cold this weekend. Haven't decided for sure yet.

Post some pictures of yours too.

watchthebox

Thanks Jim. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of that great inverter/solar install you're talking about. Have you installed an inverter and solar on your rig?

watchthebox

I finished installing the inverter in my Cyclone. I am pleased with the installation. Everything works well, and nothing has caught on fire! :eek:

Here are pictures of the completed installation. (Next up: solar.)

Inverter installed in basement pass-through compartment:
Inverter install completed.jpg

To allow access to the breakers in the subpanel, which was installed behind the back wall of the basement, I installed an outdoor electrical outlet cover. Here are pictures of it closed and open:
Subpanel access closed.jpg
Subpanel access open.jpg

Here is the inverter remote display/control installed on side of "entertainment center":
Inverter remote far.jpg
Inverter remote display.jpg