Fifth Wheel Hitch Position

heed71

I am eagerly awaiting my new SD3000RK. In preparation, I am having my fifth wheel hitch installed soon and am wondering where in the truck bed, should the hitch be positioned so that I get the 88 degrees. My assumption right now it that the kingpin should rest over the axle...or is there a particular distance from the back window that the kingpin should be?

Any ideas

2010augusta

Rob, Welcome to the Heartland Owner Forum.

Each truck should have a particular install kit that dictates where the hitch is mounted.

Typically the king-pin will be a few inches in front of the rear axle centerline, so some of the trailer weight is shifter to the front axle too.

porthole

Retired
As Alan mentioned, your kit will dictate where the hitch mounts.
But what you may find is with a SWB truck the center line will be close tot the axle center-line and with a LWB it may be between 1 and 3" ahead of the axle center line.

lwmcguir

I had mine installed 3.5 inches ahead of the center line on the F250. Still could turn 90% with the Augusta, enough to bend the spring hangers on dry pavement if you aren't careful. Mine in the F350 came 3.5 inches ahead of the axel center line as well. There are some GM products that are installed on the axle center lind due to distance. The TV will handle better if the center point is slightly ahead of the axle center line if possible.