Drivers licenses Ontario Canada

albertr

I have a 'G' license. I can drive a truck and trailer with a combined weight of about 22,000 lbs and the towed trailer can weigh 4900kg or about 10,000 lbs axle weights. They can build trucks that tow 22000 lbs and so on but it becomes pretty cumbersome to hold an 'A' license after 65 years of age. Al

caissiel

There has been a change in Ontario since June 2011, while towing a 5th wheel you no longer need the transport/Special licence. But a TT trailer cannot be above 10K. So no longer have to get a medical to keep the licence.

Willym

There has been a change in Ontario since June 2011, while towing a 5th wheel you no longer need the transport/Special licence. But a TT trailer cannot be above 10K. So no longer have to get a medical to keep the licence.
This is not quite correct. For fifth wheels a G licence will cover you as long as the total combined weight of truck and trailer does not exceed 11000 kg. It does not matter if the trailer axle weight is over 4600 kg. There are some other minor requirements such as the trailer must comply with CSA standards etc. Originally the change was going to be accompanied by a licence endorsement which was to be done by certified RV dealers, but this did not appear in the regulation change, but may do so in future. If you need more info I can post a MTO link.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Bill
Thank you for posting the like concerning the new regulations in Ontario. Dealers are getting up to speed but as of Oct 5/11 my local dealer was still not ready to do the testing.
Regards
Wayne

Willym

Bill
Thank you for posting the like concerning the new regulations in Ontario. Dealers are getting up to speed but as of Oct 5/11 my local dealer was still not ready to do the testing.
Regards
Wayne

Credit should go to Paul (Geodude) for posting the link.

The regulation mentions no training or testing. I know that testing with a certificate issue were originally intended, but nothing actually materialized in the regulation. I wonder if it actually will. As I see it, there's not a lot of difference, in terms of skill and ability needed, to safely tow a fifth wheel weighing under 4500 kg and one weighing over 4500 kg. Maybe that's the conclusion that the Ministry came to. Anyway the good news is that right now I am legal to tow my little Landmark on my G licence.

JonV

The regulation mentions no training or testing. I know that testing with a certificate issue were originally intended, but nothing actually materialized in the regulation. I wonder if it actually will.

I guess I should just frame my ORVDA card and some day it will be worth more than I paid? :D