Quality Control on MPG's

kevduf4

I'm just curious if anyone else out there has been having quality control issues. I bought a MPG 183 brand new las summer. My first camping trip I had a plumbing leak, missing window handle, storage doors needed adjustment, smoke detector fell off, and cracked door frame. Yes I did look at it before I left dealer, but I was short on time, and dealer was hurrying me as well. My last trip on noticed when I got home part of the exterior trim is coming off. I know this isn't an expensive trailer, but i would think being brand new it should have been in better shape.:mad:

brains77396

We have the 186, which is now the 183. New, the slide did not retract fully, flopping around as we drove down the road. The hose that went from the sink to the gray water tank was too short. Every time we closed the slide it would pop the hose off. The outside trim on each side had to be replaced. Now the trim on the inside is beginning to come lose. Had a heat strip put in the AC, but was told by Dometic to remove it as it was a fire hazard. Also had to replace all the locks on the compartment doors and the screen door was falling off. Just because a trailer is cheap to buy doesn't mean it has to be cheaply made as most problems have been workmanship. The assemblers get paid the same amount to do a good job as a bad one.

OurBella

We've just puchased an MPG 181 that we pick-up in May when we go back to Florida. Hope the workmanship is better on ours. We'll make sure we check it thoroughly when we pick it up as we'll be bringing it back to Ontario, Canada.

Georg

Hi, Just came back from our first trip with our new MPG 181.
Here's what we experienced and how we fixed it. (or not)
When we picked up the trailer in Phoenix I noticed some slight tendency to swing at speeds over 60mph.
After adding a sway control that problem disappeared totally.
Drawers felt down because the aluminum angles which support the drawers on each site are to short. (bought wider aluminum angles and replaced the old ones):)
Drawers sliped into the deep of the slide out. (mounted some small aluminum strips which prevents slipping to far in):)
Trim is becoming lose. (Glued 'em back into place):)
Compartment doors opened because the locks are not strong enough. (added one magnetic snapper to each door! No more Problems):)
Microwave oven is not properly supported in the rear, so the lower front cover plate bents and one screw was coming out. (not fixed yet):mad:
Battery wires to the junction block at the front are to short. Coming out of those protective hoses. Center junction block is broken. (not fixed yet):mad:
The adele clamp which holds the hose connected to the pipe coming from the kitchen sink was to tight. The connection between hose and pipe was bent and began dripping water when using the sink. (took the clamp of, straightened the connection and reattached clamp! No more problems! :)
Still waiting for our awning :mad:
Over all I would say similar problems I experienced with our former Coachman Futura.
Everything has the touch of not being completed. I am working for a company which uses ISO 9000 quality control so I can't really understand why this standard is not finding it's way into the trailer fabrication.

kevduf4

Boy my problems seem minor to some you guys have been dealing with. I agree with you both that I don't know why it is such a problem to do it right the first time. I too have been making quite a few repairs. I have more confidence in my abilities than the dealers. Good luck to you both w/your trailers. I hope we all have no more problems. Kevin

bigTdrop

Yeah, the kitchen drawers keep slipping of the alum. angles. Such a simple thing but seemingly not important enough for the factory to do right. I have a buddy in the RV biz...he says it's a totally unregulated industry. Going to use your fix on our 181.

marc515

Wow, you guys have me worried. We're torn between an MPG and an R Pod.

The dealer had ordered the MPG-181 which is due there in June, but with these quality issues, i'm really wondering now if it's worth the wait to even look at the MPG.

Yellowreef

Wow, you guys have me worried. We're torn between an MPG and an R Pod.

The dealer had ordered the MPG-181 which is due there in June, but with these quality issues, i'm really wondering now if it's worth the wait to even look at the MPG.

Unfortunately, and sadly, all RVs are going to have these type of issues. That is why there is a pre-delivery inspection and that is why there is a one year warranty. Not to excuse it, I also think its bs that when you buy something new you have to deal with warranty issues right away, but that is the way it is. It will be the same with he R-Pod, and you WILL find the same type of post over on rpodnation. The difference is how responsive the company is to fixing it to your satisfaction. I don't know about service for Rpods firsthand, but I can tell you firsthand that Heartland is very good at that. Now, for every person that has major issues there are also people that don't. People that don't unfortunately won't be going out of their way to post about it.

From my own experience with my trailer, I can tell you I had a few issues. All minor and easily fixed. Do I think my shelves and drawers shouldn't have been falling off in a brand new trailer? Absolutely! But it was still worth it to me to get the trailer that I liked the most, and to have the Heartland quality of product overall. All it takes is looking at trailers of a few different brands to see the difference.

Don't get discouraged by a few issues with kitchen drawers and go for the MPG if its the trailer you like. You'll be happy you did.

brains77396

Be glad it's not a R-Pod. They are recalling 3 years worth, starting in Canada for lights. The recall will involve the installation of the amber and red lights on the fenders and the three lights across the back of the trailer, all present on the MPG. I received all this info on the R-Pod forum, of which I am a member.

We've just puchased an MPG 181 that we pick-up in May when we go back to Florida. Hope the workmanship is better on ours. We'll make sure we check it thoroughly when we pick it up as we'll be bringing it back to Ontario, Canada.

mlo166

Dear Yellowreef, and others:
Owned the 185 since March 2010 - got the dealer demonstration model at a RV show. Quality issues were apparent when I inspected it, knew the kinks could be fixed or adjusted easily but bargained for a really good price (less than $XXXXX including tax) so that the dealer wouldn't have to fix it when he took it back to the yard. My issues (and all are fixed or modified to a higher workmanship standard): tail / brake turning lights wiring wrong - took tail lights out, reversed the wiring, reinstalled in less than 10 minutes. Some molding and trim - used hand-drill on black self-seating wood screws where needed, less than 20 minutes overall. Installed furnance controller - old style quit after several months, I live the newer version better anyway - $80 controller from internet, installed in less than 30 minutes. Dining seat cushions unravelling... needle and thread - took about 20 minutes to complete. Exterior door - installed a door hook to hold door open more securely during windy days - home-made plastic rod and adapter (less than $1.00 in parts). Sewer pipe connector broke - duct taped and restrapped at critical points (about 20 minutes)! Drain pipe from kitchen sink broke - replaced and restrapped at critial points (about 20 minutes). Sound center FM / WX didn't work, but installed XM radio anyway. Installed a TV screen - $120 on-sale LG model with strong wall mount adapter. All this was a weekend job and enjoyable as I got to know my MPG better. Modifications include: Split and hinged - hung the upper bunk-bed to give this area more utility as a "sit-down" area on the lower bunk bed when not sleeping in it. Reinforced the rack for the upper bunk too. Took out cushion at rear of table, slid table top back, gave more room to move around in there! Cut out a large square hole under lower bunk bed, installed a slightly larger grill with velcro against the cutout to keep our two small dogs inside (underneath bunk bed) without being in our way. A shag carpet portion was laid down inside compartment for them! The dogs can also be removed from outside through the exterior panel doors. Removed shelving in closet and installed horizontal post for clothes hangars... can store more clothes and coats than before. Put more cloth strapping over shelving openings under TV to keep "stuff" from vibrating off while traveling. Modified plastic pans and rack under stove - same problem "you all" had! Install an easy-to-reach battery powered light in bathroom (wife is short). CONCLUSION: These are not serious problems with any new trailer... and the mods were easy and fun. For the price of a new trailer - you get what you pay for. OR, you could get an Airstream and pay more than double, but the MPG camping fun remains exactly the same! I'd recommed a MPG to anyone needing a light travel trailer. R-pods are nice too but I couldn't work as good of a deal with them as with Heartland! BTW, if you see a '64 color-coordinated blue chevy truck pulling a MPG... it's yours truly! (Heartland used our setup for its advertisements hence the bargain!)

Tom and Rhonda
Concord, GA

Fiasco

We are looking at switching from our Palomino Mustang PUP to something like the MPG.

My primary build quality concern would be how water tight it is. A shelf or something small like that is easy enough to recognize and repair but a leak is something where once discovered, the damage is done.

2gocamp

This is a little scary. We were planning to purchase an MPG 183. We were looking at the R-Pods but we found the MPGs have more storage space inside. We saw an MPG at the dealership this weekend and a moulding was hanging from the ceiling. Not a good start. There was talk of them not making the MPG a little while back. Is that settled? Are they still producing them? We have a 2002 Coleman tent trailer and never had any problems with it.

TXSWICK

Wow - I love hearing all the good and bad. I keep all the information should I have need for some of the advice given. We have had our 185 almost a year, made several outtings, and "knock on wood" have had all fantastic times. Nothing major ( and we are not "handymans") but very pleased with our investment and our little house. I suppose its like buying a new car or a new house - there is always going to be something that gives you the opportunity to make it your own. Summer fun is just beginning and we are really looking forward to it.

RAZORBILL

This is a little scary. We were planning to purchase an MPG 183. We were looking at the R-Pods but we found the MPGs have more storage space inside. We saw an MPG at the dealership this weekend and a moulding was hanging from the ceiling. Not a good start. There was talk of them not making the MPG a little while back. Is that settled? Are they still producing them? We have a 2002 Coleman tent trailer and never had any problems with it.

I had that issue with mine in a couple places. I just pulled it off, applied a bit of wood glue and used a staple gun to re-install. It ain't coming off now. Other then that I haven't had any issues at all with our 183.

kb0zke

//heartlandowners.org/member.php/15396-2gocamp 2goncamp, Jim Belletti just confirmed, on another thread, that Heartland will not be building more mpg trailers. We are fortunate to have our dealer less than an hour away, and all warranty issues have been taken care of to our satisfaction. There will be issues with any "rolling earthquake," no matter what type or brand. As others have said, the big question is how well the dealer and manufacturer take care of the customer. I've been pleased with both.

Just a thought for those who are still wondering about Heartland's commitment to their customers: Last summer we went to the Heartland Rally in Goshen, and while there we noticed a strong propane smell from the front of our trailer. Heartland techs checked it, found a bad hose connection, and got us a new hose. They did hundreds of hours of service work on the trailers there that week, and quite a bit of it was beyond what they were expected to do.

If an mpg fits your camping needs, get one. If you can't get a new one, you may have to settle for a used one.

We just bought a 2011 186T I am happy with my dealer! I am not happy with heartland. Second trip 3hr drive for us with issues. I would not buy another myself. The tent they sent to replace the one in it did not fit the hole. The hatch leaks. We are not happy at all. We left the MPG with the dealer. These issues are Heartland issues. Actions speak louder than words here. We will see if we get the same treatment!