Campgrounds around D.C.

Tom of Ypsi

I have a daughter attending American U in Washington D.C. and her only free time this summer will be around the Labor Day weekend. She wants us to come and visit, camp, but from Wed or Thurs before through at least Monday of the Labor Day weekend. She wants or would like hiking, biking, whitewater rafting and other such activities close by. She will meet us at the campground so it will have to be reasonable distance from D.C. Does anyone have any suggestions?

C

Chulinw

Tom are you retired from the military/DOD civilian/Reserve service I would go to Andrews AFB and you can make reservation now. I know that durning the summer time they are normally full. That is the place I have always stayed.

Tom of Ypsi

Ken,
No I am not retired from the military, spent four years '67-'71, came out with everything I went in with so I know I do not qualify for military cg's. Thanks for trying to help. I know the area will be packed, daughter graduates in Dec 07 with her law degree and she plans on staying in D.C.

Tom of Ypsi

This is just a little update. Talking to my daughter she does not mind driving 2-4 hours to visit us at a campground. She would like whitewater rafting (tops on her list) but wants to get away from D.C. which will be her permanent home, not coming back to Michigan but either will I except to visit.

C

Chulinw

Tom since you said your daughter like white water rafting Adventurous Fast Rivers Rafting in NC. The phone number is 1-800-438-7238 it is located in the Great Smokey Mountains, Murphy, N.C. It located near Cherokee, N.C. 25 miles away. Maybe that would help you little to look at
and would be a great place to have fun. I'am going to try and take my Son and faimily this summer for 3 days in July. Have fun and be safe.

phranc

In the Lehighton Pa area there is some rafting,, It's dam release type of water.That would be on the long side of your 4 hr radius though..
Gettysburg Pa ... steeped in civil war history, but no rafting thay I know of.
biking perhaps ?? Some good CG's there

mwesling

Tom

Try the KOA in Harpers Ferry WV only 1 1/2 hours from DC.
Within 2 miles of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers plenty of rafting or kayaking. Walking distance to Appalachian trail.If you don't like KOA's like Phranc said plenty of good campgounds around Gettysburg,PA (55 miles)

Tom of Ypsi

mwesling,

Thanks for the info. The daughter being in DC all of the time wants to get away for there. I think we are going to try Small Country Campground, Louisa, Va. They are a Passport America cg so rates for a few days will be $17.50 and they have hiking, a pool, and site seeing galore. Are you familiar with this cg?
I see this was your first post so I want to welcome you to the forum and any problems, suggestions, info or anything else just jump right in and be a part of this family.

BluegrassMan

Tom:
In western MD, out on I-68 there are campgrounds, which is a few hours from DC. There are white water courses in the MD,WVA rivers near there. You can probably find them on the net. The Hagerstown MD area is nice, Anteitam Battlefield,Harpers Ferry, 40 miles from Gettysburg. Hagerstown is about 85 mi. from DC. Close to the city but out of town, Baltimore MD is about 80 mi from Hagerstown, The Inner Harbor is nice to see as well. Lots to do just 1.5 hrs away.