PDA

View Full Version : Rig/Truck weighing Procedure

sdagro
02-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Wanting to weigh my rig and truck. What is the correct process in weighing? I thought of weighing the truck alone, then the truck with the 5ver attached but not on scale(to get tongue weight) and then the complete rig. Is this the correct process or do I need to weigh each axle on truck and trailer in conjunction with my original process. Thanks in advance for the replies. Steve A. Dagro

6.7powerstroke
02-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Go to a CAT scale, it costs $9. Each axle will have a separate weight pad so you will get each axle weight. Most truck stops have them, just look for the giant CAT sign. You can just pull on all hooked up and get everything broken out by axle so you know exactly how much weight is on each.

truknutt
02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Echo the Cat Scales. See link here (http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh) on how to properly weigh at the scales. Remember that you get 2 weighs for one price. At the end of your first weighing ensure you tell the attendant that you'll be around for a re-weigh and then when you do come around, it pays to remind them that you are re-weighing.

2psnapod2
02-14-2011, 04:40 PM
If cat scales can weigh 3 axles separately then why is there a need for a second wieigh?

branson4020
02-14-2011, 04:49 PM
If cat scales can weigh 3 axles separately then why is there a need for a second wieigh?
Must weigh with and without trailer to get pin weight.

2psnapod2
02-14-2011, 04:51 PM
That's what I figured someone would say. Just making sure I understood the process. Thanx.

Crumgater
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Where do you find locations for CAT scales?

jmgratz
02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Most Pilot Truck Stops have them. (CAT Scales) The other way to get weighed is at the larger rallies. The believe there will be a company weighing at the Heartland National Rally in Goshen. They weigh each wheel separately. That is the most accurate way to get weighed. Then you will know if one tire/wheel is overweight and other are not. The will help you know if you need to redistribute your load. The Escapade (this year in Gillette, Wy)(Escapees RV Club) will have rig weights also.

2psnapod2
02-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Where do you find locations for CAT scales?

The link that was posted earlier, had a scale locator on the top of the page.

ncrebel8
02-14-2011, 09:39 PM
http://catscale.findlocation.com/

branson4020
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
You could also just drive down to Oregon, where the DOT hiway truck scales are free and available 24 hrs/day.

davelinde
02-14-2011, 10:33 PM
You can weigh twice on a CAT scale and the second weigh is discounted. To get the key numbers you need to weigh twice. Once truck only, once hitched up. You will get weights for steer, drive and trailer as well as the gross.
The speakers on those scales are designed by the same people who design subway speakers and they are nearly unintelligible. It helps a lot to know what questions they may ask...

If they are busy you may get a "wait one minute please", or maybe the first question will be "first or second weigh", the next question is usually "truck number" (you can say "private"), after that they say "pull forward". You go in and pay and get the slip.

Your pin is the difference between the two drive axle weights. Your gross is the gross (hitched up). Remember that tools, fuel and passengers can matter.

floridarandy
02-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Once you get your scale weights a simple way to put the numbers in proper perspective is to use the simple Excel spreadsheet put together by fellow HOC member Dave "DW_Gray". You can find it HERE (http://www.graystarcity.info/Truck%20and%20Trailer%20Weight%20Report%20%28Simpl e%29%20v1.0.xls). My weights using Dave's worksheet, as an example, are HERE (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/19960-2008-F250-6.4-and-Sundance-2900MK-Weights).

Wharton
02-15-2011, 03:35 AM
I believe Escapees have weighing on certain days all year at their Livingston, TX headquarters.

SmokeyBare
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
We often have RV & Truck weighing at the Heartland North America Rally.

RVSEF - RV Safety & Education Foundation provides this service at several locations.

Here is a link to their 2011 Schedule http://www.rvsafety.com/custompage7509.html?pg=weighing

By doing each tire of the Truck as well as the RV, you have a better idea of which tire is loaded with more weight than the others. It's not always possible to correct weight issues but there are times when you can. I was able to help correct a weight issue on the truck by moving a heavy tool box I have stored inside the storage box I have in the bed of the truck.

Ray LeTourneau
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Bob is correct. Your re-weigh on the second axle deducted from the first weigh (same axle) will give you your pin weight.

sdagro
02-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Had my truck/RV weighed today on a CAT Scale. Tongue weight is 480# over. My 3670 weight is 11960 and tongue weight is 2980. According to GM Towing guide I am 480# over on the tongue. On the guide it has my max. towing capacity as 16,300. This is not specific as to whether it be SRW or DRW. As far as the tongue weight it specifies DRW and SRW. My truck is SRW and is rated at 2500 max tongue and 3500 for DRW. How bad is my tongue weight overage at 480# and is it correct to assume that with a total RV weight of 11960, I am 4340# under my GCWR?? Please help me on this. These abbreviations are getting to me. Thanks in advance. Steve A. Dagro

traveler44
02-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi. Steve I think what the guys are trying to tell you is that you have to weigh JUST your truck--- maybe called the steering axle plus the drive axle--this will tell you the total for your truck. Then you weigh the truck with the trailer on the third platform. The amount your drive and steering axles increase is the tongue weight. Then you subtract the empty truck weight from the gross weight to get the trailer weight. Our Bighorn is supposed to weigh 10635 empty and have a tongue weight of 2065. The tongue actually weighs 2400-2600 and it is a shock the first time you weigh. The main thing I try to do is have tires on the back of our srw that have the highest weight rating I can get. Some guys go to bigger rims to get higher rated tires but I'm running real close to maximum with my 16" rims. Tom M.

Wharton
02-16-2011, 04:07 AM
You should really weigh loaded for a trip. Weighing unloaded is more a curiosity number.

sdagro
02-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Traveler, that is exactly what I did. I also calculated the tongue wt. 2 different ways. I subtracted the drive axle weight of just truck from the drive axle wt. while loaded and came up with 2980#. Then I subtracted gross weight of truck only from the combined weight of steer axle and drive axle while hooked to RV and came up with 3060#. Although these 2 numbers are within 80#, it still puts me 480-560# over on my tongue.???? Steve Also calculated by just
Hi. Steve I think what the guys are trying to tell you is that you have to weigh JUST your truck--- maybe called the steering axle plus the drive axle--this will tell you the total for your truck. Then you weigh the truck with the trailer on the third platform. The amount your drive and steering axles increase is the tongue weight. Then you subtract the empty truck weight from the gross weight to get the trailer weight. Our Bighorn is supposed to weigh 10635 empty and have a tongue weight of 2065. The tongue actually weighs 2400-2600 and it is a shock the first time you weigh. The main thing I try to do is have tires on the back of our srw that have the highest weight rating I can get. Some guys go to bigger rims to get higher rated tires but I'm running real close to maximum with my 16" rims. Tom M.

sdagro
02-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Hi Wharton,

That's exactly what we did. We loaded as if we were going on trip, except for maybe 20-30# of refrigerator items. Full propane tanks, fuel fuel tank, approx. 8 gal. water in fresh water tank.
You should really weigh loaded for a trip. Weighing unloaded is more a curiosity number.

Wharton
02-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. Our 3670, when loaded, weighs close to 16,000 that is why I thought the 11960 you quoted was unloaded(dry weight). I think you need to worry about the GWVR in addition to everything else. GWVR is the weight of your trailer loaded, not hitched to anything. If you get your truck weighed by itself I think you will have enough numbers to determine this. In my mind, this is the first number you need to worry about(since many people are over), then come the rest of the numbers.

I would love to be corrected on this is I am wrong. I thought I had it clear in my mind but this summer someone said something(don't remember what) that had me second guessing myself.

sdagro
02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey Tom,

Sounds like I need the tow vehicle in your signature!!
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. Our 3670, when loaded, weighs close to 16,000 that is why I thought the 11960 you quoted was unloaded(dry weight). I think you need to worry about the GWVR in addition to everything else. GWVR is the weight of your trailer loaded, not hitched to anything. If you get your truck weighed by itself I think you will have enough numbers to determine this. In my mind, this is the first number you need to worry about(since many people are over), then come the rest of the numbers.

I would love to be corrected on this is I am wrong. I thought I had it clear in my mind but this summer someone said something(don't remember what) that had me second guessing myself.

GWZ1948
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Go to Bridgestone / Firestone web site. They have a neat PDF file called weigh form. It includes a worksheet and diagram as to the process of weighing each axle, each wheel and a formula to calculate your over / under!

6.7powerstroke
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Hi Steve. I don't see a truck in your signature, but I am going to assume you have a 3/4 ton GM. The tow guide is a joke, it is totally worthless. Ford, GM and Dodge all stack the numbers to make them look better. The towing capacity in those guides is computed by taking the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) and subtracting the lightest configuration made of that truck, assuming only a 150 pound driver. Unless you have a 2wd, regular cab, gas burner with no power windows or anything else that adds weight, your actual towing capacity will be much lower. How bad is 480 pounds? It is 480 pounds bad. That is quite a bit of weight. Also, did you have your entire family in the car? Dog? Full tank of fuel? Were you in the car while it was weighed too? All of these things add up. Only you can decide if you feel okay driving overloaded by 500 pounds, but at the end of the day, you are heavy and there is nothing you can do to legally change the weight rating of the truck.

sdagro
02-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi Dave, Pretty computer challenged. I have a 2008 1 ton SRW GMC. How do I add that to my signature? And yes I am overloaded and no I am not crazy about it but at this point I can not afford to put 2 more tires on the ground to make it better. DW wants to know why I worry about everything?? Steve

Hi Steve. I don't see a truck in your signature, but I am going to assume you have a 3/4 ton GM. The tow guide is a joke, it is totally worthless. Ford, GM and Dodge all stack the numbers to make them look better. The towing capacity in those guides is computed by taking the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) and subtracting the lightest configuration made of that truck, assuming only a 150 pound driver. Unless you have a 2wd, regular cab, gas burner with no power windows or anything else that adds weight, your actual towing capacity will be much lower. How bad is 480 pounds? It is 480 pounds bad. That is quite a bit of weight. Also, did you have your entire family in the car? Dog? Full tank of fuel? Were you in the car while it was weighed too? All of these things add up. Only you can decide if you feel okay driving overloaded by 500 pounds, but at the end of the day, you are heavy and there is nothing you can do to legally change the weight rating of the truck.

sdagro
02-17-2011, 10:46 PM
I think I got the signature "stuff" added. This is my test.

GWZ1948
02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Go to Bridgestone / Firestone web site. They have a neat PDF file called weigh form. It includes a worksheet and diagram as to the process of weighing each axle, each wheel and a formula to calculate your over / under!

Here is the correct link:
http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/rv/index.asp

6.7powerstroke
02-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi Steve - I would confirm that weight capacity, seems really light for a 1 ton. What is the GVRW of the truck? I know the Fords have always carried a little more, but here are the numbers on mine. GVWR is 11,600 pounds, wich a truck weight of around 7600 with me in there. Leaves about 4000 for hitch, hitch weight, gear, whatever. Well within the limits. 2500 weight capacity is what the 3/4 Ford has, I believe the GVRW on a 250 is 10,000 and the 250 and 350 weigh about the same. Usually it is the giant tri-axles that demand the dualy because they have a much hugher GVWR of the trailer (18K) and more tongue weight than a traditional 5th wheel, due to carrying more weight behind the axles. At the end of the day, you are probably fine but at least you know where you stand.

Well, i did a little more research and it looks like your GVWR of your 2008 GMC 3500 is 9900 pounds, which would explain the lower hitch weight rating. Sounds like all of your calculations are correct, the GMC just has a lower GVWR that I suspected. What is really nuts is that the 2500 is 9200 pounds, so there really isn't much of a difference. If you bought a 2011 GM product, I know that the GVWR is much higher due to the new frame for 2011, you would certainly not need a dualy in a 2011 model. Good luck!