Rig/Truck weighing Procedure

sdagro

Wanting to weigh my rig and truck. What is the correct process in weighing? I thought of weighing the truck alone, then the truck with the 5ver attached but not on scale(to get tongue weight) and then the complete rig. Is this the correct process or do I need to weigh each axle on truck and trailer in conjunction with my original process. Thanks in advance for the replies. Steve A. Dagro

6.7powerstroke

Go to a CAT scale, it costs $9. Each axle will have a separate weight pad so you will get each axle weight. Most truck stops have them, just look for the giant CAT sign. You can just pull on all hooked up and get everything broken out by axle so you know exactly how much weight is on each.

truknutt

Committed Member
Echo the Cat Scales. See link here on how to properly weigh at the scales. Remember that you get 2 weighs for one price. At the end of your first weighing ensure you tell the attendant that you'll be around for a re-weigh and then when you do come around, it pays to remind them that you are re-weighing.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If cat scales can weigh 3 axles separately then why is there a need for a second wieigh?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's what I figured someone would say. Just making sure I understood the process. Thanx.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Most Pilot Truck Stops have them. (CAT Scales) The other way to get weighed is at the larger rallies. The believe there will be a company weighing at the Heartland National Rally in Goshen. They weigh each wheel separately. That is the most accurate way to get weighed. Then you will know if one tire/wheel is overweight and other are not. The will help you know if you need to redistribute your load. The Escapade (this year in Gillette, Wy)(Escapees RV Club) will have rig weights also.

davelinde

You can weigh twice on a CAT scale and the second weigh is discounted. To get the key numbers you need to weigh twice. Once truck only, once hitched up. You will get weights for steer, drive and trailer as well as the gross.
The speakers on those scales are designed by the same people who design subway speakers and they are nearly unintelligible. It helps a lot to know what questions they may ask...

If they are busy you may get a "wait one minute please", or maybe the first question will be "first or second weigh", the next question is usually "truck number" (you can say "private"), after that they say "pull forward". You go in and pay and get the slip.

Your pin is the difference between the two drive axle weights. Your gross is the gross (hitched up). Remember that tools, fuel and passengers can matter.

floridarandy

Once you get your scale weights a simple way to put the numbers in proper perspective is to use the simple Excel spreadsheet put together by fellow HOC member Dave "DW_Gray". You can find it HERE. My weights using Dave's worksheet, as an example, are HERE.

SmokeyBare

We often have RV & Truck weighing at the Heartland North America Rally.

RVSEF - RV Safety & Education Foundation provides this service at several locations.

Here is a link to their 2011 Schedule http://www.rvsafety.com/custompage7509.html?pg=weighing

By doing each tire of the Truck as well as the RV, you have a better idea of which tire is loaded with more weight than the others. It's not always possible to correct weight issues but there are times when you can. I was able to help correct a weight issue on the truck by moving a heavy tool box I have stored inside the storage box I have in the bed of the truck.

sdagro

Had my truck/RV weighed today on a CAT Scale. Tongue weight is 480# over. My 3670 weight is 11960 and tongue weight is 2980. According to GM Towing guide I am 480# over on the tongue. On the guide it has my max. towing capacity as 16,300. This is not specific as to whether it be SRW or DRW. As far as the tongue weight it specifies DRW and SRW. My truck is SRW and is rated at 2500 max tongue and 3500 for DRW. How bad is my tongue weight overage at 480# and is it correct to assume that with a total RV weight of 11960, I am 4340# under my GCWR?? Please help me on this. These abbreviations are getting to me. Thanks in advance. Steve A. Dagro

traveler44

Hi. Steve I think what the guys are trying to tell you is that you have to weigh JUST your truck--- maybe called the steering axle plus the drive axle--this will tell you the total for your truck. Then you weigh the truck with the trailer on the third platform. The amount your drive and steering axles increase is the tongue weight. Then you subtract the empty truck weight from the gross weight to get the trailer weight. Our Bighorn is supposed to weigh 10635 empty and have a tongue weight of 2065. The tongue actually weighs 2400-2600 and it is a shock the first time you weigh. The main thing I try to do is have tires on the back of our srw that have the highest weight rating I can get. Some guys go to bigger rims to get higher rated tires but I'm running real close to maximum with my 16" rims. Tom M.

Last edited:

sdagro

Traveler, that is exactly what I did. I also calculated the tongue wt. 2 different ways. I subtracted the drive axle weight of just truck from the drive axle wt. while loaded and came up with 2980#. Then I subtracted gross weight of truck only from the combined weight of steer axle and drive axle while hooked to RV and came up with 3060#. Although these 2 numbers are within 80#, it still puts me 480-560# over on my tongue.???? Steve Also calculated by just
Hi. Steve I think what the guys are trying to tell you is that you have to weigh JUST your truck--- maybe called the steering axle plus the drive axle--this will tell you the total for your truck. Then you weigh the truck with the trailer on the third platform. The amount your drive and steering axles increase is the tongue weight. Then you subtract the empty truck weight from the gross weight to get the trailer weight. Our Bighorn is supposed to weigh 10635 empty and have a tongue weight of 2065. The tongue actually weighs 2400-2600 and it is a shock the first time you weigh. The main thing I try to do is have tires on the back of our srw that have the highest weight rating I can get. Some guys go to bigger rims to get higher rated tires but I'm running real close to maximum with my 16" rims. Tom M.