Warranty Illusions!!!

Uncle Rog

Take note that I was ill informed about the warranty period. I just found out that the warranty is OVER at 12 months unless you are in the shop when the time expires. The dealer alluded to the fact that shop time was down time and extended the warranty for an equal time period. Not so! I was mis-informed and have been telling you folks the wrong thing! It made sense to me that if you were in the shop for four months you would be covered for you damages, NOT SO......DO NOT expect Heartland to do anymore than the 12 mos as advertised.....Roger

billd

Roger,

So what your 5th wheel is in for is not covered this time? Bummer big time.

Bill

Uncle Rog

Bill, I am not out of warranty until 3/25, so this trip is still covered. My concern is that in three previous trips, for several of the same claims,that the same problems persist and if they are not remedied now that I will have to pay for them later. That is BS. I am ****ed. There is no reason that a straight up outfit would not consider that 4 mos in the first 12 out of service would not justify some sort of period to make sure that the repetitive issues were not solved. I have gone to Furnace Creek every year at the end of March with a bunch of debauched lumbermen since 1979, if I have to camp out in a **** tent ( we used to ride bikes) when I own a 36' 5er that is broke, I will not be happy, yes a bummer. In 30 years I have never had a signed contract for one sale, I have sold a lot of lumber, and in a billion $ of sales or have not had a problem. That is not hay seed on those boys shoulders in Elkhart, it is pool cue dust, get my drift? Well that is enough from me. I sure hope I did not give any body poor advice on the garanty....wasn't malicious on my part...got to go...UR To Jim / JP et al, you can ban me if it is necessary, I enjoy this forum and just feel that I had to post this...................

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

UR,

We don't take user banning lightly and only one user (other than spammers) was banned 'for cause'.

Your feelings are understandable. And we are glad that you have shared them. We ask only that you not belabor them and that you keep your comments civil and family friendly.

So far, you're 'okay'. A bit on the edge in a few posts, but hanging in there.

To take your matter to the next level, if you have not already done so, I urge you to contact Heartland by phone yourself tomorrow.

Thanks Roger,

Jim

mufflerman

Roger,
I'm in the same boat, My cyclone was in the shop for the first 6 months I owned it, And Heartland did extend my warranty for 6 extra months. My rv has been in the shop for a total of ELEVEN plus months since Dec. 05. when its not in the shop it's in my driveway waiting to go to the shop. I have borrowed it for three trips with big problems, As I write this its still in the shop. My warranty will expire in about 3 1/2 months.
I thought a warranty period was to be able to use the rv to find all the problems, not spend my hard earned $$$$$ to tow this thing back and forth to the dealer (120 miles each trip).
I'm going to contact Scott at heartland tommorow to see about extending again, You might want to do the same. Good Luck.

Cooper

How can a dealer justify keeping a unit that long it can not be Heartland. There is no way it takes that long to get parts. It has to be the dealer they figure you will put up with it like rvers have done in the past but, this is not the stone age it does not take that long to build a house. Would you put up with that from any other dealer Car,house,appliances,boat or anything you buy to use. My dealer's service department closes on Saturday. I have to take off during the week just to go to the dealer. This is not Heartlands fault but it makes you think bad of them. I like my Gloden Gate but have to do the repairs myself and forget the warranty.

Scott

First of all, Cooper - thank you. You're right. The fact is, any shop that supposedly keeps a unit for over a month - there is something out of the ordinary. It stinks but there have been a number of times when the first time we hear about a customer's unit being at a shop for a number of weeks is through this forum, or when the customer calls us direct to see what the hold up is - when the facts were, Heartland had not even received the first parts order for their coach. A good dealer follow the process and the process works: Customer brings coach in for diagnosis of issue. Dealer emails photos and warranty work authorization request to Heartland. (Note: if the issue will keep the fifth wheel from being used, it may stay at the dealership. If the issue will not keep the fifth wheel from being used, the dealer may schedule the customer for service a week or two down the road). When Heartland receives the coach information, warranty personnel work with the dealer and to discuss and authorize the correct repair procedures. Dealer sends in written parts order. Heartland processes the parts order (typically within four days - unless parts have to be special ordered - with a turn around time that rarely exceed two weeks). Parts are shipped to the dealer. Dealer repairs the unit.
While it is true that there are times when the wrong parts are ordered or shipped, these stories of months "in the shop" are an anomoly.
I know that they are unquestionably irritating to customers - but most often, we see this when the dealer or service center they have chosen is sub-par. Not everyone chooses to purchase from their local Heartland dealer. And when they choose to go another route - that puts Heartland in the precarious position of working with dealers and/or customer service centers that do not have any information or parts from Heartland.
I had one guy who "claimed" that his fifth wheel was in the shop for six months, but when I looked at the warranty claims turned in on his coach - he just kept sending it back to the dealer for things like seams on his couch cushion coming loose; a cabinet door that was crooked; a wrinkle in the carpet, etc. Were these things Heartland needed to take care of? Absolutely. Were they things that would keep him from using his coach - or even effect his RVing lifestyle in any way? No. Thanks for all of you who understand that while there are times when Heartland fails - there is just no way that we are leaving people hanging for months at a time - knowingly. We work with dealers every day - diagnosing and reviewing and sharing information to better service our customers. And frankly, we do a pretty good job of it. Yesterday I was in the parts department and they are literally shipping orders that were received last Friday (the working day before). That's why I remain confident that when someone is experiencing "months in the shop.." I know that odds are VERY strong that something funny is going on.
Nevertheless - we must continue to identify dealers that are not working in our customers best interest and move on to better, more customer service related dealerships. We have obtained way to good of a track record for taking care of our customers to let it slip away now. Not only are we here for our customers, we are VERY accessible. We have put David Partin's name and phone number (574.262.8030) up here numerous times and will continue to make him (the head of our customer service team) available for you to get any issues worked out with in a timely manner.
ST

arisce

I agree with Scott. Our rig was in for repairs due to a blow-out. The dealer was so lacksadaisical. Heartland had dropped them has a representative and the dealer never informed us. When we got the call from them to pick up our unit after two months in the repair department we went straight away. When we got there the work was sloppy. For instance the covering underneath the trailer was bulging at the back and flapping at the middle. I refused to sign until the work was done properly. The rug was full of dirt. The workers would not take off their boots. So they took another week to fix their mistakes. They had us by the ... because at the time they were the only Heartland dealer in Quebec. We wanted a Big Horn and so we bought from them. Knowing what I know now I would have travelled a 1000 miles to get a better dealer. In no way do I blame Heartland. I know it is frustrating-been there as you can see-but when the problem is squarely on the dealer's side then it is best to inform Heartland through this forum. Also let the dealer know what you think and be prepared to to inform the BBB. I hope this helps people.

Tom of Ypsi

I am also with Cooper and arisce, it is mostly the dealer and not Heartland. I missed last years rally because of a dealer being too big to care. The dealer did not want to use Heartland or parts from any of Heartlands manufacturers, they wanted to do it themselves through local people then charge Heartland a considerable amount of more money for the work. I was happy to see Heartland step up and tell the dealer this is what we will pay and get the job done. Two new tires (gave me truck tires instead of trailer tires), spring hangers, springs, axle alignment just about 1 month. I believe Heartland will take care of you just be a little more patient.

Cooper

Scott, Thanks for your reply. How about Heartland building Heartland owned dealerships in a few area's. It might make the dealers out there think if they do not pick it up they may be gone.
Also sales might just increase with a factory own dealership.

mufflerman

Scott,
I believe the delay's are on Heartland and the dealer, The dealer does have other customer's and my unit gets kicked while waiting for parts, I just got the mismatched wheel replaced (dealer took one off another unit) Two weeks ago, Took over a YEAR, Heartland sent 9 tires & wheels out that didn't match. 6 of those where sent to a dealer in new mexico that they refused to put on my trailer, and Heartland still uses them as a dealer? I stiil Have no heat in bedroom, the front cap still isn't attached on bottom, and ON and ON..
The list is getting smaller, but I'm sure there are cosmetic item's that I have not even noticed. At one time I offered to tow it to Indiana for only fuel reimbursment and was turned down. I do believe every aspect of this trailer needed attention (broke, missing, or just not screwed down or sealed ) with the exception of the refer. I have noticed the newer cyclone's have had a LOT of changes from the error's that my trailer has.

Uncle Rog

Well I started this, and to be fair to Heartland they have been responsive to me. I am e mailing Chris back and forth with my issues and I am fairly satisfied with his replies. I dumped my dealer on my first trip in. The BH sat for a month with nothing being done, after waiting a month for an appointment, and then sent to an authorized shop to be fixed. The problem was not diagnosed properly, I do not think maliciously, and I camped with hook ups a few times after. On my next trip dry camping I realized that I still had the same water leak. Another month waiting for an appointment, the tank was pulled "repaired" and off I go again. Once again, in all fairness, the water leak now was from the liner penetration at the overflow lines, not obvious. Another month to get an appointment. Today I am going over to the shop to see the tank / installation myself as at the end of the month I am out of luck. I am also concerned that the water that has been draining into the liner has caused some other structural problems, who knows? Anyways, as long as all systems are AOK when I am cut loose I will be happy, nothing extra, just to have the rig right. I will report later....

mufflerman

Cooper said:
Scott, Thanks for your reply. How about Heartland building Heartland owned dealerships in a few area's. It might make the dealers out there think if they do not pick it up they may be gone.
Also sales might just increase with a factory own dealership.

I disagree with Heartland owned dealership's I've seen the way mine was put together,