need a fifth wheel hitch recommendation

Louba

I'll be taking delivery of my new Bighorn 3385 in about 5 weeks and need some recommendations about a hitch. I've towed a conventional trailer for many years but have never had any experience with fifth wheels. My dealer gave me what seemed like a high price for a Husky hitch + wiring ($1225) but I just called them and the service dept said I could buy a hitch elsewhere and they would install it for $295.
I've heard a lot of good reviews of the Curt Q5 20k hitch so I was leaning that way.
Since I understand that I won't need a slider with the Bighorn front cap design I was wondering if it's possible to buy a fixed hitch and then down the road if I feel it's necessary add a slider mechanism to it? Maybe a dumb question but as I said I'm a fifth wheel rookie.

watchthebox

The Curt Q5 is the only 5th wheel hitch I've ever used. That being said, I like it alot and would choose it again.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I don't think I have ever read anything bad about any hitch. They all seem to do a good job. We use a Hijacker which I chose because of price and ease of use. I prefer the bar type mechanism to the jaw ones...strictly a personsal thing.

Jellystone

Reese makes great 5th wheel hitches also with a good selection of weight sizes and options. They have been in business for a long time because of their quality and reputation.

Whatever brand of hitch you choose, always go at least 2,000 lbs bigger than the gross vehicle weight of your new camper. It will give you more than you need and allow you room to "grow" if you ever plan on going with a heavier camper.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
You cant go wrong with the Curt hitch. Only other hitch worth considering is the B&W. Either of those you will be happy.

archbarb

When I got ready to purchase our fiver hitch I looked at so many, I didn't know which one to go with. My neighbor has been delivering fifth wheels to dealers for several years, and recommended the Curt Q5 20k hitch. He has never had any problems with it and said the operation is very smooth.

So I figured if it was good on daily usage it should be good for me. I called a few places who supply and install them and I was getting quotes from $1000, $1250 installed. I went to Amazon and got it for $680, and installed myself. Very good instructions. Followed them to a "T", perfect fit.

Archie

Louba

I have decided to go with the Curt Q5. There's a great price on Amazon right now for $441 plus the cost for the rails. Going to order it today.
Looks like the universal rail kit comes with L brackets to attach to the frame. They also sell custom brackets for an extra $120 that appears to be much heavier duty. I'm guessing the standard brackets must be sufficient since they are made by Curt for use with this install.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just upgraded to a Reese 20k which fits on universal rail kit. I was sceptical when I got it, but I love the big head,with wrap around single locking jaw.
It's a breeze to load and unload, compared to my old 16k with the small type head.
https://www.americanrvcompany.com/R...fth-Wheel-Hitch-RV-Trailer-Camper_p_120.html/ picture shows 18k for display only/mine came marked as 20k
I heartily recommend this hitch
If there is a problem with this link just google Reese 30081

caissiel

I was at the RV show in Tampa and checked all the Hitches on display and to my amasement every hitch had some kind of looseness in the assembly that may induce chucking. I came back very satisfied of the performance of my 15 year old single pivot hitch installed in my truck. It is now no longer manufactured but it has been a solid performer for me.