My Internet Equipment Installation in a 2011 Landmark San Antonio

jbeletti

I work a great deal from my RV. This year, I'll travel at least 20,000 miles with it. I'm also moving some of my home equipment into the RV as we're selling the current home, building a new one in TN and will be on the road much of the year.

Over the coming weeks, I plan to use this thread to document my installation.

As we all have different requirements (bandwidth, capabilities etc.), different equipment on-hand (some of which we may want to work into the new plan since we already have it), different carriers (satellite, cellular etc.) and different budgets (some have a lower threshold on what they can pay for Internet, those with higher bandwidth needs usually pay the most), what I install may be different from what you might install. But sharing with each other, what we're doing, I feel, can be helpful to many.

Design Goals
  • Achieve a Cellular Internet solution for use inside the RV when stationary in a fashion that is robust and very simple to utilize.
  • Provide shared peripherals on the local network for all local client devices (Network Attached Storage, Printer/Scanner etc.).

I have much of the infrastructure in place at this point. I will finalize that in the next week or two. At that point, I will finalize my build on this thread.

For now, I am adding a picture of my wiring closet. In the San Antonio floor plan, there is a wiring chase on the left side of the stairway to the upper level. There is a space above the control cabinet. Ordinarily, the raised panel door covering that space is removal. I have mine hinged. Inside this space is what I am calling my wiring closet. In the attached picture, you will see (from top - left to right):
  • Wilson Cellular Amplifier (blue)
  • Triple DC Outlet (West Marine)
  • Raise/Lower Switch for Antenna Base (Diamond H9000TM)
  • USB Modem (Novatel USB 760 for Verizon)
  • Network Adapter (Cradlepoint CBA250)

Not shown and not yet installed on the roof:
  • Diamond H9000TM motorized antenna base
  • Wilson xxxx 18" fiberglass cellular antenna
  • Custom offset bracket and custom mounting plate

Not shown (later) but installed in RV now:
  • Ethernet jumper (from wiring closet, through frame and into entertainment cabinet
  • Apple Airport Extreme router
  • USB hub
  • NAS (Drobo HDD array - connected at USB 2.0 via USB hub to router)
  • Printer/Scanner (HP - connected at USB 2.0 via USB hub to router)

Attachments

• wiring_closet.jpg
    wiring_closet.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 333

ronjhall

Nice install Jim.
One suggestion. Mounting sockets horizontal would help to keep plugs from falling out of sockets.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It's not a cabinet...it's about a six inch deep "chase" in the side wall going up the steps. A door is installed, making it great access for wiring into the control panel below, etc. Jim's use is perfect...hides all those electronic things you don't really want to see...

skyguy

Hmmm...

Is there any surge protection for this system? Not just surge protection, but voltage stabilization?

Is the drobo unit for backup, or for primary (god forbid) data storage? Most of the external drive systems on the market tend to be short lived, for a variety of reasons, heat is a real killer, folks don't realize there are fragile components in a "mechanical device". Mechanical device - key words

Not having redundancy spells disaster!
How is the drobo device protected from your RV bouncing around while running down the highway? Especially today's poorly maintained highways??

Just looking out for ya Jim - that's my job! (Selling, repairing, maintaining computer systems for 33 years so far...)

Al S.

jbeletti

Cellular Internet Solution

Been busy packing and traveling but finally got time tonight to post this up. Attached is the paper I wrote up on my Cellular Internet Solution for the RV.

We all have different needs and there are many ways to satisfy them. My solution may not be for you, but perhaps it will give you some ideas.

Jim

Attachments

• Cellular_Internet_Solution_by_jbeletti_final.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 179

3Gstore

Love your setup Jim!

I really like that antenna mount with the automated motor. I noticed that in your PDF it was highlighted in blue, but I can't seem to get it to go to the page. Can you provide me a link to the mount your using from the picture?

jbeletti

Jon - I was not using it in Cherokee as I did not have enough signal on Verizon to use it. Using it as I type here in Gettysburg though. Their WiFi is expensive. Better to use my own stuff - especially in that I pay $80 a month for it :) I'll show it to you next time.

Matt, here's a link to the motorized antenna base.

Jim

mmomega

AnyTimer
I'm interested in finding out more on what you did once you were completely done with the install Jim.

Have you changed this setup at all cause I thought you had moved to a 4G solution from Verizon like the MiFi or are you still using the USB sticks?

I think I'm about to setup a network in the KL as well just gathering some info. I'm fine on the computer networking side of things, I just haven't ventured much into the cellular side such as the signal boosters, external antennas and such. I never thought they truly worked well so I didn't research them much.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have been following this also. I also have the KL so JD let me know what you do come up with. I have been trying to keep our internet stuff in the entertainment center but with it being in the slide that is really going to be hard. Thinking maybe the last cabinet up top next to the stairs, but I have not done anything yet.

The last time I saw Jim, he had purchased a 4G antenna but not mounted it. Not sure if he has yet. but it would work with his mount. He just needs to modify the antenna some. Needs a bracket for the antenna.

mmomega

AnyTimer
So far I've been looking for 4GLTE boosters and antennas to add on but at the moment they are looking a bit to expensive unless you're a full timer.

The Wilson Wide Band Antenna is about $85 and looking at an LTE signal booster, I'm looking at $350. I think I'll be fine on 3G since we only do basic internet tasks when we're on the road.

I've just been getting my list together as well on a diagram of where I want to place everything for easy access. I just want to be able to walk in plug the MyFi into the mix and turn it on.