Front Landing Gear

archbarb

Yesterday evening I was hooking our BC to hitch and I noticed the right {looking from the front} leg was not moving up or down. The left leg was moving. I opened the front compartment under the king pin and noticed the motor turning, but the shaft going to the right leg not turning. It was getting late, I got my flashlight and found that the bolt & nut connecting the shaft to the motor was laying on the compartment floor. It looked like the bolt had broken. I go to my shop to try and find the correct size, but didn't have one. I found one a little smaller in dia. and was able to insert it and get both legs working again. I will replace with correct one later today.

I guess this nut and bolt needs to be put on my inspection list of things to keep and eye on. Has anyone else had the issue before?

Once I got both legs working again, I had to get them back in sync. That process is simple now, but it made me think for awhile about how to do.:eek:

Archie

caokgafamily

Archbarb,

The same thing happend to us about 3 yrs back, I put locktite on the threads. I have had no problem since then.
Steve

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
That process is simple now, but it made me think for awhile about how to do.:eek: Archie

If you don't mind...save me the thought process (that's where I get into trouble). What did you do to sync them?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you don't mind...save me the thought process (that's where I get into trouble). What did you do to sync them?
I had the same issue and while the 5th wheel was still hooked to the truck, I measured the the working leg. Measure the portion that doesn't have the adjustment holes. Manually turn the cross shaft to get the opposite leg to the same dimension or as close as you can, then line up the bolt hole and reattach the shaft to the cross tube.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Had the same thing happen to our rig, I replaced the bolt and used a lock nut on it. No problems in 2 years. Also did the same as Ray to line up the legs.

noobee

This has been an issue for numerous years. I first encountered it in 2007. Why the factory doesn't FIX it, boggles the mind.

CS

herefishy

I have a 2011 Bighorn 3055 and the front compartment under the pin has a light with a switch along with hydrallic lines, wires and cables. No motor or landing legs showing. Am I looking at the right plaace or is the 3055 unique?

jnbhobe

I have a 2011 Bighorn 3055 and the front compartment under the pin has a light with a switch along with hydrallic lines, wires and cables. No motor or landing legs showing. Am I looking at the right plaace or is the 3055 unique?

2011 Bighorns have hydralic landing gear

ann1951

When I used the landing gear last time I could hear this clicking sound that was not there before, upon inspection I found the nut
came off the allen bolt and the bolt worked itself out of the shaft hitting the electric motor. I just happen to have a nut put it back
together so I could finish setting up. Later I got two new bolts (one spare) with lock nuts the ones with the tefflon insert. Something
to check from time to time.