two batteries for a 27 bhs

poosu

I think cold weather camping with no electrical hook up is forcing us to a two battery set up. Given the limited space, has anyone come up with a two battery set up for this model?

This is difficult. I've tried last year to hook up a second battery permanently but was unable to. I must carry a second one in my truck bed and hook it up at the camp site.

CliffP

If you can find the room for two batteries, the charge from two 6 volt batteries wired in series (=12volts) will last longer than two 12 volt batteries (=12volts) wired in parallel. This link shows wiring diagrams. Any place that sells RV parts should have them available but for reference here is another link for dual battery boxes.
Good luck!
Cliff

Tank

I have a picture but it won't let me upload it if you would like me to email it to you let me know

PeternLiane

When we bought our NT we had them install two batteries. We did it so we could power the slide out and in if needed. I wonder if it would be better to have two 6 volt batteries instead of two 12 volt batteries.

Tank - to upload a picture, you need to click on the insert image button in the reply box, a dialog box will open, Browse for the picture you want to upload, double click on it, the dialog box will open again, then click on upload files right below the line. I added the diagrams from another battery site.

2x6volt.jpeg2x12Volt.jpg

eddylives

Trailer Pictures 007.jpgTrailer Pictures 008.jpgTrailer Pictures 003.jpg
Here are the pictures of my dual battery mount I have been working on , it is almost done to my satisfaction lol
I decided I do not like the 2" straps across each end so I am going to do an almost full end cap on both ends instead.
The factory position is very tight to the body of the trailer and I would recomend moving the angle irons ahead on the frame to allow some clearance.
I have also installed a lock so the cover cannot be removed and batterys stolen without a great deal of work , I will be posting the details later on in the mods section.
I have also moved the tanks ahead a fair amount and re-attached them with some proper hardware....I could not believe they were only held on with a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws , I used some carriage bolts dropped down through a angle iron brace under the frame.

CliffP

View attachment 19125View attachment 19126View attachment 19127
Here are the pictures of my dual battery mount I have been working on , it is almost done to my satisfaction lol
I decided I do not like the 2" straps across each end so I am going to do an almost full end cap on both ends instead.
The factory position is very tight to the body of the trailer and I would recomend moving the angle irons ahead on the frame to allow some clearance.
I have also installed a lock so the cover cannot be removed and batterys stolen without a great deal of work , I will be posting the details later on in the mods section.
I have also moved the tanks ahead a fair amount and re-attached them with some proper hardware....I could not believe they were only held on with a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws , I used some carriage bolts dropped down through a angle iron brace under the frame.

Nice work! Is there somthing to insulate the battery terminals from the treadbrite just in case? We have two 6 volt battery boxes side by side. I'm planning on building a rack over them for my little giant ladder that will double as theft protection. How's the extra battery working out, do you dry camp much?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
On our last North Trail travel trailer, we added a simple Lockable box from Lowes. 2 metal plates sandwiched the box to the crossmembers. It would easily hold 2+ batteries. I welded a metal tray to one of the plates, to hold the battery and had plenty of room for all of our cribbing and wheel blocks. I added air vents and cable pass throughs and it worked great.

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 38

CliffP

On our last North Trail travel trailer, we added a simple Lockable box from Lowes. 2 metal plates sandwiched the box to the crossmembers. It would easily hold 2+ batteries. I welded a metal tray to one of the plates, to hold the battery and had plenty of room for all of our cribbing and wheel blocks. I added air vents and cable pass throughs and it worked great.

That's a nice box, its even got cup holders on top! :DGonna have to check on something like that, easier than my plan. Anybody want to buy two deep cycle battery boxes?

eddylives

Nice work! Is there somthing to insulate the battery terminals from the treadbrite just in case? We have two 6 volt battery boxes side by side. I'm planning on building a rack over them for my little giant ladder that will double as theft protection. How's the extra battery working out, do you dry camp much?

No there is nothing to insulate the batterys from the box top...I have the batterys placed so the terminals are toward the front of the trailer added extra clearance to the box(1"+) , the checker plate sits on top of the frame in front also so it cannot drop down to contact and the back will contact the tie downs before ever coming close to contact. The box is 12"high in front 11"high in back and the outside width of the factory angle iron battery holder(8 3/8"??). If I had more time I would have moved the angle iron holders ahead and made it a regular box style.

The only time there is any concern is when you are removing or installing the cover , it can drop down then when it is slid sideways over the batterys but it pulls in and out very easy.

The extra battery is a must for us , we have only ever dry camped and needed the extra capacity to allow us to run items like tv's and the furnace all night.
I also like the fact that I do not have to run our generator as often to re charge the system as often which saves fuel lol.
One of the best purchases we made was our little 1000W genny for light duty use which is the majority of the time and our 3000W unit for the heavy use items like the microwave or AC unit.

One day when the 12V deep cycles give out I will upgrade to the 6V for even better capacity but the pockets are only so deep right now hehe.