Change of "Heart"land !!

Well after attending our local annual Rv show I seem to have a change in heart. I was very eager to see the 3300 ck in person, but as did all the other trailers I visited during the show, it left me with a BLAH feeling. Except for a very few, The CYCLONE trailers, OMG!!!!
These things are amazing. I really like the 3800 floor plan and layout. I realize it is much more money, but my kids are at the age where we could begin to use this as kind of an all around entertainment vehicle, not only to head out and do some motorcycling and 4-wheeling, but to entertain as well when we are just regular camping. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Can't be much help with the Cyclone but I remember that same feeling...we bought a Big Country. I can't inagine you being anything other than very satisifed with whatever Heartland model you choose. We are very happy with ours!

Best Wishes with your Quest!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Sometimes you just know when it't the right one. That's how we ended up with ours.

Kurt

Kurt&Gwen
We looked at all brands of fifth wheels for 4+ years before we settled on the Cyclone. The landmark and Bighorn style have awesome residential style interiors, but no privacy for our kids. the only place for the kids to sleep is in the living area. That wouldn't work for us.

The Cyclone has two queen beds in the garage (the lower bed can convert into two benches) and a large loft above, so when you and your significant other get up early to spend some time together drinking coffee or reading, your not tripping over bodies or trying to find a place to sit.

You can also use the garage as a patio and/or mud room (main entry) to keep the traffic and dirt out of the living area. If you put two or more ATV's in the back, it will be tight.

Keep in mind that on the 3800, due to the living/dinnet slide, you'll only be able to use half the space under the 20ft awning.

Aside from our Cyclone being massive (41ft long x 13.6ft high) we love it and it was right for us. My main gripe is the dinette table. I would have prefer the Booth style for easy access and agrees (this will be corrected) but it was the only one available with the floor plan that we wanted.

My advice, sit down with the family, decide on style, Bighorn or Cyclone. Then from there, decide on floor plans and use the process of elimination to figure out which one would best fit your needs and life style. It will save on headaches down the road.

Best of Luck

mickmey

We had the same change of "heart." We were looking at bunk house style 5th wheels (not toy haulers). Didn't even consider toy haulers. Then, we saw the Cyclone 3800 at an RV show and OH MY! This purchase will be a 3-generational use...my parents who have mobility issues, us (mid-30s), and our children (2 months old and hopefully future unborn ones). The garage gives us a place to put a comfy recliner for Dad (he sleeps best in that). The loft is for the kids. The 2nd bathroom helps with Dad getting to the bathroom easily. The ramp allows us to launch his motorized wheel chair (not to mention carry it). It's perfect.

Now we just have to buy one...

porthole

Retired
Get a Cyclone - you'll be happy with it for all of your above reasons.

Great for toting the dogs along too.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We also had a similar experience. We went to our local dealer to pick up a spare tire cover for our 10 yr. old SOB 5er and decided to look at some of their new ones. My wife walked into the Elk Ridge and fell in love. We ended up buying it that day and are very happy with our decision. Heartland quality is definitely worth it.

plumberdude

We love the toy hauler! It's great especially if you have a misty day.You can keep the back door down and still enjoy the fresh air. We also did not like the kitchen table, it has since been changed! Good choice!

Plumberdude

gpshemi

Same as Mickmey here. We were looking at bunk houses and very close to purchasing a Cedar Creek when we stumbled on a Cyclone at the Novi, Michigan show. We never considered them before thinking they're for hauling toys right? We don't run the deserts. We don't need to look at those. Well, after the show we took a step back, decided this might be a better fit then we first thought, and spent the rest of the year researching toyhaulers. Eventually we came full circle and bought a Cyclone toyhauler. Initally we decorated and used it as a bunk house, but later in the year started hauling our golf cart in it, then converting to kids room in a blink of an eye. I have to say it was one of our smarter purchases. It's been the best rig we've owned to date.

Well thank all of you for your replys. It is apparrent you have all been in my shoes. I do not want to buy a bunk House 5th wheel only to regret not buying the toy hauler. But on the other hand I dont want to buy the toy hauler only to feel like it is too big and did not need it all. One more reservation I have is not having a dually truck. I have a 2005 chevy crew cab with the 8.1 and allison combo. I am installing the air lift bag kit on it when I decide what trailer I am getting so I am able to level the truck out. Now, I know I will be on the limits of GVWR (16,700), but I do not expect to fully load the 5th wheel so I will be within legal limits. Is this asking for problems by not having a dually? We basicly do not leave the thumb of Michigan, I beleive our longest trip is around 130 miles one way. Thank you all

dbhutchins

You don't NEED a dually. I'm pulling my 3210 with an F250 Superduty Diesel, with load boosters on the rear axle. Pulls like a champ, and we've been WA to Key West and back. But my trailer grosses out at 16K, with a hitch weight around 2500 lb, so I'm not overloading the rear tires and am just inside the total GVW rating of 23000 for truck & trailer. I'd be careful to keep those figures in mind when deciding what to tow with. My own observation has been that there are a lot of very conservative folks out there, pulling 12-15000 lb trailers with 1-ton dually's. That's overkill, for me.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Don

irvin56

I bought a North trailer 31QBS for the bunk house, as we Can close off trailer into 3 seperate rooms, 2 sleeping and center for main area. Never even gave the Toy haulers a look, as I need A BIGGER truck. But after the Show in Calgary , my mind is changed. They had a Cyclone set up with the ramp set up as a patio held up by the chains. and the garage was done up also. My first though was the loft and all the stuff I can haul in garage(instead of my truck bed). I said to wife and dealer there" that would be great backed up into some site over looking beachs, river, lake, and some other mountain revenes" Could leave the back ramp setup for entertaining during the day and beds at night. would be big enough for us all on the bad weather days and not be crowded. Now I need a Bigger truck because I WANT ONE. The garage with the drop down beds would be great when we have the 4 to 7 Grand kids with us. Just need to save some $$$ or win a lottery.