"Babies Wrapped in Love" a community outreach opportunity

dieselsweetheart

Hello ladies!

I am asking a favor from all of the Heartland ladies who love to crochet or knit (or both!).
As babies are near and dear to my heart, I would love to add an item to our offering to the community of Goshen/Elkhart. We are collecting food pantry items, but I would also love to offer something to the new moms and babies of the area who maybe do not have a lot of resources...in the form of warmth and comfort... baby blankets, hats, booties. The Indiana winters are harsh as we have all heard this year (and many experienced!)

I know many of us love to crochet just for fun and to keep busy with a project. There are many knitting clubs out there who donate blankets to local hospitals for the new babies and especially for the preemies in the NICU (I am a long time NICU nurse)...so....

Could I ask each of you crafters to donate a homemade blanket..or perhaps a blanket with matching hat and booties if you are talented to do the hat and booties (I can only make blankets).

I don't know how many of you crochet but I bet a good many. Could I set a goal of 50 blankets?

Many thanks! I know each will be made with love. In fact, the name of this project will be "Babies Wrapped in Love."

kkamshop

Re: Babies for us...for the crafty ladies

Cheryl, I was looking for a project to get me back in knitting again. I'd be happy to make a blanket!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Lin is in for some stuff. We'll have to start shopping Garage sales & flea markets for good buys on yarn.

DarInMich

Cheryl,

I'm a new member of this forum, but my husband has been with it for awhile! I've been doing crochet since was 14 years old & would love to do a project I could donate. Count me in for a blanket in crochet with booties & a hat! I have lots of patterns, but will donate at least one set (could do more depending when you'd like the blankets). Is there a time limit? How do we donate the items? I've just joined so I may have missed the information/discussion.

The missus of JohnDar!!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

Cheryl, This is definately not in my comfort zone. I have recruited John's mom to make a blanket for me and I'll get everything she needs to do it! So count me in for one!

Additional note: Mom is going to enlist some of her card playin' bud's so we're in for a few blankets! Woohoo!

dieselsweetheart

Hi Mrs JohnDar! Happy to hear from you! And thanks for the blanket and accessories!! The time limit is the rally in Goshen. There is no minimum to your donation...I'd love to have 50 blankets...booties and hats, how ever many I get will be great~

If you are not attending the rally but would like to contribute your blanket of love to a a brand new infant...message me here on the forum. I will send you my home address.

Deb I know you are more a musician than a knitter...so thanks for reaching out to your mom and her card playin' friends!! I know my sister in law Lynne will be in for some as well...

Can't wait to see them all!

DarInMich

My husband & I are attending the rally for the first time this year, so I will bring my contributions along with me. I think you can count on me for more than one set since it's in June. I'll see how many I can get done, now that I have a good cause! It'll be interesting to see how many I can do! I've already found a free pattern for a hooded baby afghan from the Lion Brand Yarn. I'll make at least one of those too. That will be good if someone doesn't do hats & booties. FYI! (The pattern has both knit & crochet instructions) The pattern is in the Pound of Love yarn.

dieselsweetheart

Pound of love yarn...gotta love the name!! Thanks sooooooo much! I am currently making a granny square blanket and I have a zigzag started too....I used to know the shell stitch design years ago, I'll have to review it... ok...signing off for the night and picking up the needle and yarn!

kkamshop

Haha, I went to the Hobby Lobby today to pick up some yarn~ can't wait to start, but work gets in the way :(

dieselsweetheart

I saw the Pound of Yarn at Michael's yesterday and it had the picture of the hooded blanket on it. Very cute! I guess you can get an entire blanket out of one pound of yarn...that's nice...no tie-offs. I am almost finished with my granny square blanket...then will pick up my zig zag which I started a few months ago and put down...

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

My fingers are exhausted from watching my mother-in-law making my blanket! Thankful that I have her talents so I can participate in this wonderful give back! How should we package them when they are done?

dieselsweetheart

I think they will be ok in a zip lock baggie to donate...one of those larger ones. But in the meantime, don't put them in plastic until we go to Goshen. I don't know long-term what the plastic will do to the yarn. Besides, in Goshen, we'd all like to see everyone's beautiful work!!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

OK - Got it!

Now, when will we be learning about phase 3!!!! The suspense is killing me!

dieselsweetheart

I don't even know about Phase 3...!!! I think it's in an envelope with a wax seal on the back! Let's just hope it doesn't involve a bank heist.

dieselsweetheart

Hello all, I'd like to keep this thread active and keep it in the front few pages...when threads aren't posted on for a bit they get lost behind all the newer stuff. So this is just me posting to keep the thread updated! How are y'all doing? I started a zigzag and that's got to be the slowest stitch there is! I have about 1/4 of the blanket down and it's in varigated colors...needs to be a girl blanket though. So I have one boy and a girl blanket in the works...

DarInMich

Hi Cheryl,
Just keeping the posts on this more current. I finished 2 baby afghans (1 in white;1 in mint green) with matching booties & hats. I'm addicted to crochet again now! I pick it up whenever I watch the telly or want to relax & listen to music! I find it so relaxing & it's a bonus the items are going to babies in need!! 2 more in the works as we speak. These are in baby blue & a pastel tweed.

dieselsweetheart

Awesome! I can't wait till we can all see them together....my sister in law is working on a nice pastel mix...she has a pattern where you start in a corner and work out...it looks like a big triangle... this is her 2nd she is doing for us. We were at AC Moore today and they had a beautiful orange creme color...so pretty. I am in Myrtle right now where the tax is high so I will wait to get home to buy more. I am finishing my granny square tonight and then need to finish the zig zag... thank you~~