cyclone 4012 and a dually

gronberg

We are getting 2009 Cyclone 4012 and going to full-time RVing with two children. We were looking at 1 ton dually trucks, but the highest GVRW we found was 12,500 and of course that falls well short of the 18,0000 lbs of a loaded Cyclone. Are we better off at purchasing a Ford F-450?

crazybanshee

Gronberg I would definately Get the F450. Our 4012 has a loaded pin weight of 4300lbs. Total weight of 18500lbs. To much for a 1ton to pull and stop safely. IMHO
Doug

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
crazybanshee and gronburg, you guys have heavy trailers. You may even be exceeding the weight limits on our country's fine highway system. No not really, you both have one zero too many. Hee Hee!

lwmcguir

Re: My Truck and Trailer Weights

We are getting 2009 Cyclone 4012 and going to full-time RVing with two children. We were looking at 1 ton dually trucks, but the highest GVRW we found was 12,500 and of course that falls well short of the 18,0000 lbs of a loaded Cyclone. Are we better off at purchasing a Ford F-450?

Check out the 5th wheel tow ratings. You would be fine with the Ford 350 DRW equiped correctly. Sure nothing wrong with going with a heavier truck as well.

Birchwood

Just a quick calculation 18000 * 20% =3600 lb pin weight
3600 pin + 7200lb truck = 10800lbs
If you can purchase a 1 ton with a GVWR of 12400 lbs that leaves 1600 lbs for passengers ,fuel and other things.
I don't know how many rVers load their trailer to the max(18K) but probably not many.
We have an RVer in our Florida park that uses a Freightliner to haul a 37 ft Montana so I guess it depends
on how much of a safety factor you require.I look at the legal aspect that if I cause an accident
can I be blamed for being overloaded.

lwmcguir

Just a quick calculation 18000 * 20% =3600 lb pin weight
3600 pin + 7200lb truck = 10800lbs
If you can purchase a 1 ton with a GVWR of 12400 lbs that leaves 1600 lbs for passengers ,fuel and other things.
I don't know how many rVers load their trailer to the max(18K) but probably not many.
We have an RVer in our Florida park that uses a Freightliner to haul a 37 ft Montana so I guess it depends
on how much of a safety factor you require.I look at the legal aspect that if I cause an accident
can I be blamed for being overloaded.

All of the weight you add won't wind up on the PIN, it should be spread out a bit. However you have to be prudent unless you are going to use a F550 or bigger. Almost all of us load according and don't take the farm along. I like to run legal and I think more folks need to that as well. Down the road it may be a necessity and we are lucky that we don't get weighed now. Safety factor is nice but there really aren't any issues of loading up to name plate ratings. There is some build in margin there. Still I agree buy the most truck you can afford. There are a lot of 3/4 ton trucks out there way overloaded. Hopefully they keep their trailer brakes in good order.