Camping in a BIG Country :)

chilidog

Hey campers :) my wife and I are new to this and are looking at the 3500RL (38'). We are wondering if 38' is too big for most campgrounds (we live in Southern California but would love to go to places like yellowstone and smaller local spots too). We love this trailer, but would hate to regret the purchase. Any help would be appreciated. We have a new son we cant wait to make memories with, thanks for the help :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This site is but one of several that you can use to find information on campgrounds. My rig is also a 38 footer that we've only used on a seasonal site, so far. Unless the campground says it's "big rig friendly," you may find it difficult to manuever. Especially if you get a back-in site. I've never been to Yellowstone, but from discussions on this forum, I believe the CG's actually within the park may be a bit tight for a 38 ft. fifth wheel.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

ultrafarmer

I have a 35' and the big parks are very tight and I won't go. I will camp outside and ride my HD in to them.

Duramax1

Your concern is valid if you want to actually stay in Yellowstone Park.

However, there is a fabulous rv park in West Yellowstone from which you can take day trips into the park and return to a great site. You will not be disappointed.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We camp in a 3450TS which is the same length as your 3500RL. We seldom use state parks and prefer private campgrounds. So far, we have not had any issues finding adequate space. As far as camping in Yellowstone, I believe the 3500 is too long for that adventure. Like some mentioned Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is a nice place and close to the park entrance. I think you can pretty much find private parks near most major destinations.

Many state parks will have sites big enough but what I have found is the access roads can be very tight getting to your assigned location. State parks tend not to remove/trim trees etc making it difficult for a 3-slide rig width wise.

If state parks are high on your camping priority it might be easier with a smaller rig. That being said, our 3450TS is very comfortable and having camped with it, we would not want to go back to a smaller 5th wheel. Our previous SOB was 28ft.

Best Wishes!

caissiel

We have the same and its fairly eazy to manuver. We had a 33ft unit with longer distance from hitch to axles and we had no problem parking for 13 years. Most units are now in the same range and the future looks much better then 15 years ago. Remember that most campground are designed for TT's in the 90"s and the 3500RL is similar to manuver as a 35ft TT. My neighbour has a 32ft TT and my unit is shorter then his. That is front of truck to rear trailer bumper.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have a 2008 BH 3400RE. Heartland shows it as 34ft, many dealers selling one now show it as 37ft and I have measured it from center pin to behind ladder and I tell a campground that it is 38ft.

We stay in private campgrounds, COE Parks, State Parks and have had no problem, but we do tell them we are 38ft and ask what is the length of their sites. I have had some problems with branches not being trimmed back, so have to be very alert.

As JohnDar mentioned I use RV Park Review all the time. I post to it and check as many CG's as I can. Some are not rated and I enter it after I leave.

Enjoy
BC

bill40

We have spent a total of eight months in CA on two trips. have not had any problem finding or getting into any sites in CA or on trips across the country. The 3500RL makes for nice living space and the unit pulls great.

abinns

We had a 38' Big Horn and camped for a week at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone...a neighbor also had a 38' Montana. We had no problems (although we were worried about it prior to arriving). If you don't park in the site just right, your slides may not be extended fully. If you're parked correctly in the site, all slides should be able to be extended. It's a beautiful park and FB Campground is nice and quiet altho tight. They were re-doing the electrical service and we were w/o electricity during that time. Used our generator to charge the batteries...wonderful vacation.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our current rig is a BC 3250 which states as being a 33' but adding the pin length, more like 35'. In our part of the country, alot of the state parks site are too small of the rig. A couple of parks are trying to rework the campsite to accommodate longer rigs but most are not. Therefore we try to find a commercial campground close to the national/state parks and travel back/forth. We did that at Yellowstone last year, staying in Cody, doing other stuff in addition to Yellowstone.
The Big Country is a great coach. It's a ez pulling coach that even my DW enjoys driving. Let us know if you decided to move toward Heartland products.

sdgirl

Chilidog, our current rig is a BC 3300RL, about 35.5 feet. We also live in So. Cal. No problems around here for camp grounds. We also stayed at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone about 2 years ago. It was a little tight getting into the spot, but the slids were able to open fully. There is also a Campground / hotel between Cody and Yellowstone that could accomodate you. Yellowstone Vally Inn, I think. Anyway, we love our rig,,, pulls like a dream and have had very few problems with it. Keep us posted~!

Elevatorman

We chose the 3500RL because of the room and comfort. I tell the CG that I'm 40 ft. and so far I've been lucky except for a "garage of trees" on Jekyll Is. Ga. Couldn't use the awning. Even the notorious tightness of Fort Wilderness at Disney worked out to my surprise. Access for parking is what I try to pay attention to mostly, and choose accordingly, pull through's will be your best friend when they are available. You will love the BC. We do!!

rono

According to the Heartland website the 3250 is 33' 2" overall. I thought that measurement was from tip to tip?