Checking pressure

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
My first Dually and I was looking at how difficult it is to check the pressure of the inside tires. Thinking of adding the extended valve stems. Any one better than the other? Anything to avoid?

Thanks for the help
Jamie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I first got my dually, I inquired about doing that at a truck tire dealer. He recommended against it, saying the possibility of getting them snapped off by debris, etc., outweighed the benefit. My GMC has the gated caps on them, so I don't need to remove them. I use a trucker's air gage with a straight and angled tip to check them. I also bought a long chuck to reach the inner wheel. A little inconvenient, at times, but not terribly difficult.

2010augusta

I do use a set of Wheel-Masters Air-less extenders. Being Air-less if they break or come loose there is no danger of a loss in tire pressure, they are more expensive than standard extensions, but well worth it.

jnbhobe

I'm with Alan on this Jamie, just buy the good stuff. You may have to look around for it thou.

hoefler

I had my tire dealer install long high pressure valve stems that bolt in the rim. The plastic extensions wobble around too much and make it difficult to get your gauge on for an accurate reading. The metal extensions throw the tire balance off and will swing around if you have rubber stems and break them off, been there, done that.

boatdoc

I had my tire dealer install long high pressure valve stems that bolt in the rim. The plastic extensions wobble around too much and make it difficult to get your gauge on for an accurate reading. The metal extensions throw the tire balance off and will swing around if you have rubber stems and break them off, been there, done that.

I agree 100% w/ above. Do it the right way the first time, it cost a bit more but I have not had problems since I put them on our first dually. Check the "tireman" in Ridgecrest Ca. for the stems. Many folks have problems with "extenders". With the bolt in valves you can then get your TPMS and never check them manually again.

2010augusta

We have to use the extensions because even with the XL bolt-in metal valves, there is an alignment issue. The front and outer rear wheels are Alcoa's, but the inners are steel wheels and the holes are all out of phase and with the 10 bolt lug pattern I could not get access to the inner valve with out the extension.