Radiant barrier

MR Moderator help this may not be in the correct place.
Has anyone tried or considered the application of a radiant barrier in their RV, and if so where would we install it. If this stuff is as good as I have heard on the radio may be Heartland should consider its use in their RVs. We are headed to Denver soon as this job is complete. Hopefully the realy cold weather there is gone. We are in Galveston Bay RV Resort now and survived the great Texas freeze.

Rex

danemayer

For our Colorado trip, we took some spare radiant barrier and arranged it to hang loosely under the rig, clipped to the frame. It wasn't air tight, but I figured it was 1) free and 2) couldn't make it any colder. I'm not sure whether it helped us.

During the trip, I had occasion to drop a corner of the underbelly and found there is already what appears to be a radiant barrier as part of the insulation in the 2011 Rushmore.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
The reflective bubble wrap type material is great at least for helping with heat. I put it on my boat windows and reduced internal temperature considerably. Have also found it is effective if placed on ceiling. Might look a little peculiar in the RV but at least would be good to keep heat from coming in the windows.

57chevyconvt

The only place I have used some low-E radiant barrier material is on the A/C (roof unit) sheet metal return air duct work. I placed the low-E material on the under side of the sheet metal that transition the return air to the evaporator coil. I believe that lining the inside of the return air box with low-E material will
help reduce the heat load that is generated inside the A/C roof unit. I purchased the low-E material from the local metal building supplier. The low-E material is often applied to the under side of metal building roofs to reflect the radiant heat. The low-E material is approximately 1/8" thick.

Thanks for the replies; I had purchased a product call reflectix at the local box store to use to black out the bed room windows as I am working nights on this job. Noted that the radiant heat was reduced in these windows and heard some stuff on the radio about radiant barriers. Thought I would try lining the cabinet areas for the summer as we had troubel keeping baked goods cool last summer in New Orleans. Don't know if it will help or not; wondering if any one else had already tried it yet. Thanks for being my sounding board; forum is really informative.

Thanks Rex