Minivan towable?

Flapwing

We have a loveable 74 Trillium 1300 but its too small for us. The MPG180 appeals to us as a replacement. anyone have issues towing with a minivan? We have a 2008 Chrysler T&C with factory tow package.

2010augusta

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum, I moved your post to a better area for general discussion of your question. I am sure someone with an answer will comment soon.

Flapwing

Checked the manual and spoke to Chrysler tech.... MTW with 2 adults is 3700, CVWR is 8600. The true empty weight of this particular 18o is 3211 so we can tow with our van. I was wondering if any minivan owners had any issues towing a 108 /181?

kb0zke

Checked the manual and spoke to Chrysler tech.... MTW with 2 adults is 3700, CVWR is 8600. The true empty weight of this particular 18o is 3211 so we can tow with our van. I was wondering if any minivan owners had any issues towing a 108 /181?
If I'm interpreting MTW as "Maximum Tow Weight" you may have a bit of a problem. If the empty weight of the 180 is 3211, then you have (3700 - 3211) = 489 pounds for your water, food, and gear in the trailer. However, the Heartland mpg site says that the 180 has an empty weight of 2574 pounds and a gross weight of 3800 pounds. Water is 8 lbs/gallon, so if your fresh water tank is full you have 288 pounds of water there. Granted, you can travel with far less, and fill the tank at the campground.

Looking at the weights page, the 180 would seem to be the best for you, since it is the lightest of the mpg family. If you can keep your gear down you should be able to get by until it is time to trade cars.

mcota

We have a loveable 74 Trillium 1300 but its too small for us. The MPG180 appeals to us as a replacement. anyone have issues towing with a minivan? We have a 2008 Chrysler T&C with factory tow package.

I'm not sure of the exact specifications for our van but we towed an MPG 11,000 miles this past summer. We weren't the fastest thing on the road, but it went coast to coast, over three mountain ranges and through the desert southwest with no problems. The only thing we had done to the Saturn Relay, in addition to the towing package, was adding an external transmission cooler. All of that being said, I do wish I had had a little beefier TV just for my own piece of mind.

We tow ours with a Rav 4 with no troubles. Last year we towed ours for 4+ hrs straight when it was full of gear, tanks full of water, 3 Huskies and two humans with no trouble at all.
You might need a better tow package with sway bars and brakes.