Samsung TV issue

Bobby A

I couldn't post this in the entertainment section where TV issue are posted, it said it wasn't excepting new thread, and I need some information now.

My Samsung TV that came with my 2010 rig (less than 2 years old) seems to be acting up. Last week I turned the TV on and on the right side of the screen it seems darker than the other side. I turned the TV off and unplugged it for a few minutes and turned it back on and it was fine. The same thing just happened and I did the same thing by unplugging it and the screen is fine. Is there something getting ready to break on my TV ?? bulbs burning out or something ?? Anyone know whats going on and what the fix is ?? is the fix something a layman can do or does it need to go to a TV repair shop ?? Is it an expensive repair ??

Thanks in advance
Bobby A

Bobby A

Don't tell me I'm the only one experianceing this problem ??, anyone out there ?? can you hear me now ?? (lol) no seriously !! anyone have any ideas ??

Bobby

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
There seems to be something that is going out in it. Is it still under warranty? If not, it might need to be taken to a TV repair company. Or maybe time to upgrade.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't tell me I'm the only one experianceing this problem ??, anyone out there ?? can you hear me now ?? (lol) no seriously !! anyone have any ideas ??

Bobby

Bobby, Sorry to hear your having problems. Never heard of this one. Mine at home took a power hit once and went black. Cost me $200 bucks to fix. This set should certainly last more than 2 years. Maybe under Samsung Warranty? Unfortunatly, most of these sets are "throw aways". You can probably buy a new one for not much more than repairs. Good luck, Trace

HappyKayakers

As a teenager I can remember walking to the local hardware store with a suspect bulb in hand and putting it in the tester right in the store. If it was bad, purchased a new bulb there, took it home, and the TV worked again. Now I can't remember if that was the last time I saw a TV bulb or not. Either way, Trace is probably right - cheaper to buy a new one than repair the current one. Not so good on landfills though. maybe a charity would take it and try to get a free repair.

Bobby A

Well, thank you all for replying, for a minute there I didn't think anyone was listening. I will keep an eye on this thread for a few days and see if anyone has experianced this issue or has any other ideas. I would think a TV should last longer than 2 years also. Not sure of a warranty, I will try to call Samsung and see if I can get any help, I'm not gonna hold my breath though.
Thanks

danemayer

A quick google search shows lots of hits for Samsung LCDs where 1 side gets darker. There seem to be 2 areas people are discussing: 1) bad capacitors on the power board or 2) one of the backlights is failing.

It may be possible to get it repaired. Also, there's always a chance that Samsung will go beyond their warranty if they've got a widespread problem. They might even have a TSB that extends the warranty for this particular failure. But you'd probably have to take it to an authorized repair shop that works on a lot of Samsungs.