A new direction with a Rod and Custom Shop

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
It’s official, I’m retired, again, and my Freightliner haul and tow truck is sold. I’m looking for a new direction to make a couple bucks or at least break even so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and keep me busy doing something I love.

Some of you may know I’m having some medical problems right now with horrible pain in my arms and shoulders and super sensitivity to cold temps in my hands due to peripheral neuropathy, the pain is pretty under control right now so we’ll see how things go. They did find 2 bulged discs in my neck. Good news is the neurosurgeon says I don’t need surgery after looking at the films and looking hard at my symptoms, instead of being like everyone else that just looked at the narration of them. He thinks I have Parsonage-Turner syndrome…. Oh goodie, another rare problem that nobody knows what caused it or how to fix it. Why can’t I just get something normal like a cold or flu like everybody else? Maybe it’s just because I’m special; my Mom always told me that…special what however, she never said. LOL

Many of you have watched me build 2 haul and tow trucks for the RV transport industry. What I did to those trucks is just a small fraction of what I am capable of. I am capable of building show quality custom cars and trucks including the paint and body work and have the tools to do it…and now have the time and funds to do something I always wanted to do, which is have my own rod and custom shop. I ain’t working on anybody’s stuff but mine in the shop. Nope, I don’t want to see other peoples stuff at all in my shop unless I built it. If someone brings me some broke Honda ricer wanting me to fix the brakes or whatever, my shop labor rate will be $500.00 per hour straight time for every minute it’s sitting in my shop taking up valuable floor space with ha minimum charge of 1 hr.

There is a pretty good niche market for well done custom resto-mods that are built well enough to be reliable daily drivers that didn’t tank like the rest of the economy and America has had a strong love affair with their cars for many years, there are a lot of people that love to drive their rides and not just save them for show, and many are willing to pay well for something “different”.

That said, I’m researching what I want to do for my first project. I want to build a late 30’s to mid 50’s Ford COE on a modern E series 250 – 450 chassis with a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, auto tranny, hydroboost 4 wheel disc brakes, room for the entire family by adding a sleeper with a custom interior or converting it into a crew cab and be able to be used to haul a show car, tow a trailer or might even just go with a pickup bed so you could take it to Lowe’s and haul the lumber home if you wanted too. The early step side beds look great with these cabs as do modified Superduty beds if you blend them in correctly. Modern Superduty front bumpers can be blended in also.

Keep things simple, clean, smooth, classy and like the factory might have done it if the technology existed 50 – 70 years ago. Make it easy to repair and get most parts at the local parts store or repairs at a Ford dealer if needed on the road. Make it easy and comfortable to drive with all the creature comforts everyone expects today. Rebuild the entire chassis and driveline so it drives and is reliable like a new car, something that you wouldn’t be afraid to drive across the country and back.

Those old COE trucks are ugly beasts, but done right they are uber cool rides. Anybody can do a pickup cab; the COE cabs are much rarer.

If I build it, she will be for sale as soon as it’s finished so I can move forward and build another one.

Yep, that’s what’s bouncing around inside my head right now for those that are brave enough to venture there.

Now I just have to locate a good, solid and straight 30’s to 50’s Ford COE at the right price and get it in the shop…right after I finish cleaning it out from the mess I made modifying the deck on the Freightliner.

Some of my favorites.

Nice clean crew cab conversion and matching pickup bed.
1966756C900extcab2.jpg

Nice crew cab conversion with a hauler bed and a molded in superduty front bumper.
4507174048_167737265f.jpg

A couple nice clean pickup conversion
hrpt_2007_powertour_day1_cleveland_20_z1947_ford_COE_truck.jpg

0608sr_01_z1939_ford_coefront_quarter.jpg

How about a Ford Superduty bed that could be used daily blended in. They could have done some more to match body lines to the cab but overall not bad, not bad at all.
cab20over20rear.jpg

How about a hauler body to tote your RV or horse trailer around.
1947-ford-coe-hotrod-cabover-2.jpg

Last edited:

2010augusta

Looking forward to more great project threads.

One of the neatest haulers I have seen was a front wheel drive COE and had a sliding rear axle, so the breaks would lock and drive the truck back a few feet and the flat bed would drop to the ground.

ChopperBill

Sorry about your pain. Hope it gets improved. Are you going to finish the choo choo train before you start building Rods?

pmmjarrett

Bill, a model railroad is never finished. The railroad layout will continue to be worked on probably over the course of several years. The basic layout, scenery, track and town should hopefully be done in a couple months. Just havn't had time to catch my breath this month at all to really mess with it.

For the Rod Shop, well....... work is a 50' walk from the back door and it's at my own pace until it's finished and up for sale so I have time to mess with the railroad any time I want too.

Moose

I am certainly looking forward to seeing more of your project work.

All the best.

dewwood

Being a retired paratrooper I knew you would "land on your feet" so to speak. I am glad things are working out and hope you can get your health problems sorted out. Looking forward to watching your projects take shape.

pmmjarrett

Being a retired paratrooper I knew you would "land on your feet" so to speak.

We don't land with our feet, we start with them. LOL

With a military T10 parachute at 21' per second, you don't do standing landings like a skydiver. You are supposed to do a proper controlled fall which starts with the balls of the feet, the side of your calf, the side of the thigh, the side of the buttocks and finally the side of your back.....

But half the time though because of low level winds on the DZ, underestimating your distance to contact with the ground in the middle of the night or some oscillation you couldn't get stopped in 800', you end up going feet, knees, face or feet, butt, head....... Either way it hurts....... but you do eventually get back on your feet and regroup.

loafer

Hey Mike
Some cool looking trucks there in the pics. I know whatever you set your mind to will be great when its done be it trains or custom trucks. keep those pics coming
Hope all your medical issues dont stop you from your dreams
Bill

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Back in January, Eric (Flying Dutchman) and I went to CW in Myrtle Beach.
While we were there a guy rolled in with a 1953 F 700 snub nose. Very cool cab. He had it sitting on a mid 70s Freightliner frame, a Diamond Reo sleeper and a very late model ford bed.
He had an 8.2 Detroit for power and forget wht he had for a trans. Really wish I had a picture of it. It was very nice. He said he used to haul boats with it in Fl but now just pulls his fiver.

pmmjarrett

Thank you Bill.

Larry, another good candidate for a chassis for these types of trucks would be a Freightliner chassis step van. Be nice to stuff an ISB Cummins with an Allison 2500 trans and an Eaton rear under one of these rides..... All done with factory Freightliner parts? That would be a tough truck to kill. Or how about keeping it simple with an IH powered Bluebird or Thomas bus with a DT466 and an Allison MD643 trans, another tough combo.

SouthernNights

Thank you Bill.

Larry, another good candidate for a chassis for these types of trucks would be a Freightliner chassis step van. Be nice to stuff an ISB Cummins with an Allison 2500 trans and an Eaton rear under one of these rides..... All done with factory Freightliner parts? That would be a tough truck to kill. Or how about keeping it simple with an IH powered Bluebird or Thomas bus with a DT466 and an Allison MD643 trans, another tough combo.

Why not just go Old School with a 1493 Cat and a SST 15 behind. Never run out of gears that way! How about an old Marmon cab or you can use an Osh Kosh cab for the off road version.

pmmjarrett

Why not just go Old School with a 1493 Cat and a SST 15 behind. Never run out of gears that way! How about an old Marmon cab or you can use an Osh Kosh cab for the off road version.

That just blows drivability, parts availability, build cost, repair cost and easy dealer service right out the door.... As well as 99% of the potential customers that can't drive a stick much less a 15 speed.

If I chopped up a restorable Marmon Herrington Ford, the purists would be out to lynch and castrate me.

I want something a whole lot more visually appealing than an Oskosh cab. Wayyyy to limited of a market. I just don't see the Jeep crowd wanting to spend $100+k for a 35' long off-road hauler. They'ld rather spend $2k on a trailer and put the rest in their Jeeps.

pmmjarrett

Hey

Anyone up for a Harley Davidson edition crew cab 48-56 Ford COE, Silver and black with orange pinstiping separating the colors, HD edition black and grey Ford leather seating with quad captains chairs and consoles, custom Toter bed with a polished wood floor and stainless rub strips, B&W turnover gooseneck that you could drop their 5th wheel in, a class 5 hitch and air ride rear suspension.... Exactly the ride you'ld wanna to show up in Sturgis with if you trailer your bikes in.
sly.gif

I've located some nice llow mile 2000 E-450s cab & chassis in Oklahoma at the right price if they have the 7.3 diesels in them.

Keep yer eyes open for a good, solid, straight, original and complete COE cab and front end or front half of the truck. Looking for a 48 - 56 model. Need a similar year pickup cab & doors, panel truck cab & doors or a Ford-Marmon-Herrington conversion 3 door extended cab and doors too for a crew cab conversion. The purists will lynch me if I chop up a rare extended cab..... Yes they did make an extended cab 4x4 in the late 40's - early 50's.

I'd like to find something between NC and Dallas Texas and pick up all my pieces on the same road trip if possible.

Last edited:

pmmjarrett

Get ready to sit back in the recliner, grab a cold one and enjoy a new build project that will start in a couple weeks. Yep, it's just about show time...... What do we call this one...... "Watch and old retired trucker trick an old retired truck"

Yesterday I bought a 1955 Ford COE cab and front end and a 1956 Ford F100 pickup. Tomorrow I'm finishing up a deal on a nice 2000 Ford E-450 cab and chassis with the 7.3 powerstroke.

One 1955 Ford C series Harley Davidson Edition COE crew cab diesel coming up.

Last edited:

pmmjarrett

A quick update.

The 2000 Ford E-450 cut cab and chassis purchase is complete, I should have the title monday and will head out to pick eveything up next week and hopefully have some better pics for you next weekend.

I'm starting a new thread for the actual build.

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Mike, when you are done, how do you title it??
Will it still be an E450 or will you have to get a salvage title?

pmmjarrett

Mike, when you are done, how do you title it??
Will it still be an E450 or will you have to get a salvage title?

It won't be a salvage title.

I'd like to title it as a 55 Ford but the way the North Carolina title regs read for a vehicle that is totaly rebuilt with new or used parts it is most likely going to end up with the make as "Custom Built" the model as "2011 or 2012" (the year it was built. and the title will be branded as "reconstructed".

As a Custom Built 2011 or 2012 I only need the title for the frame, engine and transmission as proof of ownership and won't have to get it bonded.

Here is the NC title and registration manual if anyone wants to read it.

pmmjarrett

A quick update. Been so busy since I retired again that I can't seem to get anything done. I don't know how anybody ever finds time to have a job.

A new 30 x 50 x 12 steel building is going to be replacing my old dilapidated 20 x 22 x 8 shed that's about ready to fall down that I built my last 2 trucks in. Should be signing the contract for the building tomorrow.
I ain't going to know how to act with an extra 1000 sq ft to work in, a smooth concrete floor and actually have doors on the building. As always, I'm too hardheaded and cheap to pay somebody to do something for me so I'm going to erect the building myself... Except for the concrete, that I am contracting out. This will be the build thread for the new Man Cave.

I purchased my zoning permit today and had the building inspector review the building specs for my building quote and got his verbal blessing on the specs so it's time to get the contract done so I can pull the building permit in about 2 weeks when I get the engineered stamped building and foundation plans in my hands.

This will be like moving from the out house to the penthouse. Yeeeee Haaaaaa... Time to pack Ellie May, Jethro and Granny in the truck...... Beverly Hills here I come.