Pin Box Adjustment?

MarkL

We took delivery of our 27RLSS last weekend and found that, with the truck level, the trailer sits nose high. It looks like the Pin box is has some adjustability that would allow me to mount the Pin higher, effectively lowering the front. Am I thinking correctly or am I missing something?

BTW- the tow rig is a 2006 Dodge 2500, CTD, Short Bed, 4x4, stock height with Air Bags.

This may have been discussed before but I searched and came up empty.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Is there any adjustment left on your hitch? I think most adjust the hitch height first and if that doesn't work change the pin box.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Try adjusting the hitch first. Most hitch's have vertical adjusting holes. Make sure you keep at least 5-6" clearance between the coach and the TV bed.

branson4020

Icantre Member
My hitch had no vertical adjustment so I went ahead and adjusted the pin box, but I went the other way. I lowered the pin box to increase the clearance between the bed rails and trailer. It's quite easy to do.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We took delivery of our 27RLSS last weekend and found that, with the truck level, the trailer sits nose high. It looks like the Pin box is has some adjustability that would allow me to mount the Pin higher, effectively lowering the front. Am I thinking correctly or am I missing something?

BTW- the tow rig is a 2006 Dodge 2500, CTD, Short Bed, 4x4, stock height with Air Bags.

This may have been discussed before but I searched and came up empty.
Had the same problem as you...I raised the pin box up one hole ( hitch was as low as it could go) to lower the nose of the 5th. But this made the trucks bed rail clearance to RV to close. Only choice I had was to raise the 5th wheel.

MarkL

Thanks for the replys! I'll check my hitch first to see if I have any adjustment available. I'll be careful to leave enough bed to cap clearance.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the replys! I'll check my hitch first to see if I have any adjustment available. I'll be careful to leave enough bed to cap clearance.
Also keep an eye on the turning clearance between the rear of the pin box and the side rails of the truck when maneuvering into sites.

MarkL

If you went through a dealer he should be doing this, not you.

No kidding? I learning that my dealer really didn't do a very good job delivering our unit. I may just wait until I take it back in for warranty items that need addressed.

Wharton

I hope you are considering a different dealer. If he didn't do a good job on the PDI what will he do about warranty!!! Call Heartland and see if they can recommend anyone else for the warranty work.................

FYI-There are very good dealers out there, our rig had zero problems when we picked it up, went on the road for 6 months and only had a bad check valve. Our refrigerator drain hose also disintegrated, we did a temporary fix but found out the Dometic had a permanent fix. Scheduled it worth our dealer, he said it would take 45 min, stopped in and was done. To do it correctly according to him they had to remove the refrigerator. We are so happy we found him...........

Our dealer is ex-military and doesn't like his customers coming back for little things so he takes almost a week doing a PDI.

Too bad you live in CA, we live in VA.