Cradlepoint Firmware 1.8.0 for CTR500/MBR/CBA Routers Adds Support for Verizon UML290, VL600 & More

3Gstore

CradlePoint has released Firmware Version 1.8.0 that provides the MBR1200, MBR1000, MBR900, CTR500, CBA250, CBA750, and MBR800 with official support for more modems (including both of Verizon's 3G/4G modems and two popular AT&T modems), new features, and bug fixes.

ATTENTION UML290 and VL600 USERS: Some users are reporting issues with these modems and firmware 1.8.0. Read this forum thread for more info: Firmware 1.8.0 Success/Failure

Firmware 1.8.0 adds support for the following devices:

You can read the full details here - Full details on 1.8.0 Firmware update

jbeletti

This is great news Matt - thanks! I updated my CBA250 to 1.8 the other day. I am now ready to go to 4G! Got a call into the 3G Store to finally get the Pantech UML290 :)

Jim

3Gstore

This is great news Matt - thanks! I updated my CBA250 to 1.8 the other day. I am now ready to go to 4G! Got a call into the 3G Store to finally get the Pantech UML290 :)

Jim

You're using the CBA250 now?

I'd really recommend being a bit cautious right now because we're seeing mixed results with this new firmware revision. I've handled a few technical calls today alone, with customers trying to use the UML290 in various models without success. At this point I'd say the firmware is 50/50 with the UML290 and LG VL600. It may work without issues for you, but it may also not work at all!

I'm hoping in the next release they get things working 100% with native 3G to 4G transition.

3Gstore

Version 1.8.1 has been released today and we finally have a working 3G/4G switch! This will handle automatic transitions with no special tools required and allow you to move in and out of 3G/4G areas without reconfiguration :)

jbeletti

Thanks Matt. I just updated to 1.81 in the Cradlepoint CBA250.

Attached are images of my Modem Settings and my Network Adapter Status-Device Info.

Still getting about 1 mb/sec download on 3G. I think my signal is marginal here but at my last stop, I had a much higher signal with the same 1 mb/sec download (using speedtest.net).

What is odd and I am not sure it matters, is that the Modem Interface of: Express Card remains no matter what. When I change it to USB1 - UML290VW, then save the settings, they always revert back to Express Card.

I have yet to stop in an area that has 4G so I have yet to be able to test that. Hoping 1.81 will help with the connection drops - even when I have the modem set to 3G only.

Jim

Attachments

• Google ChromeScreenSnapz055.jpg
    Google ChromeScreenSnapz055.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Google ChromeScreenSnapz056.jpg
    Google ChromeScreenSnapz056.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Google ChromeScreenSnapz057.jpg
    Google ChromeScreenSnapz057.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 10

3Gstore

You settings look good on the router and you really shouldn't see a speed difference in a 3G area over another 3G card. It's when you get in a 4G area you'll notice a big jump in your data rates! I'd also recommend using the setting and locking the device into 4G if you get into an area with 4G in case your 3G signal is stronger. If you don't then you'll constantly connect to 3G, despite having a usable 4G signal at a location.

jbeletti

Thanks Matt. Next week, I'll be in Seffner, FL and looks like I'll be pretty solidly in a 4G area. And, while I am presently over-cap (>10 gb) for the first time ever, I reset on Tuesday :)

I'll provide test results next week on 4G.

Jim

Attachments

• Google ChromeScreenSnapz058.jpg
    Google ChromeScreenSnapz058.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 16

3Gstore

Thanks Matt. Next week, I'll be in Seffner, FL and looks like I'll be pretty solidly in a 4G area. And, while I am presently over-cap (>10 gb) for the first time ever, I reset on Tuesday :)

I'll provide test results next week on 4G.

Jim

Keep us updated, I'm curious to see what type of speeds you see in the area! Perhaps we should start a thread with 4G speedtests so users can see what type of speeds are obtainable with 4G.

jbeletti

Nice results! I wish I had 4G at my area so I could do some testing, I almost feel like driving into Pittsburgh just to check it out!

Just checked - no 4G at home. Getting close though. See the pushpin in the upper-left corner. Maybe by the time I move this Spring, they'll have it :)

Good news is I don't need it at home as I have broadband via the cable operator :)

Jim

Attachments

• Google ChromeScreenSnapz062.jpg
    Google ChromeScreenSnapz062.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 9