So excited!

AKGUY47

Just bought new 07 Cyclone Toyhauler. I don't even have the fifth wheel hitch installed yet, had RV towed to my house. Also just bought a new 2011 F-350 6.2 gas Crew Cab. I am excited to get things hooked-up and see how my truck does. Bad thing is I am at work for the next thrre weeks, which is 600 miles remote from my house. :(

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Congrats! Hopefully you can stand the wait better than we did when we first got our BH.

truknutt

Committed Member
Welcome to the family! Hope you enjoy the Cyclone as much as wqe enjoy ours. Now when you say "new 2007 Cyclone", is that new to you or is it really a "never been owned before" unit? Please keep us apprised as to how that new 6.2L handles the 3795.

AKGUY47

It is new to me, but it is in like new condition. I got very lucky on this deal, previous owners were clean freaks! I went with gas truck this time because I owned a 03 6.0 and had problems. The specs on the new 6.2 are very close to the old 6.0 which would tow a house. I will chip it, intake and exhaust it as time and money allow :)

jimtoo

Hi AKGUY47,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Glad you found something like that. I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy.

Enjoy the forum and if you have questions, just ask.

Jim M

sgtbigb

With the price for diesel and reg gas, I would consider gas now , if I was in the market :=<
It is new to me, but it is in like new condition. I got very lucky on this deal, previous owners were clean freaks! I went with gas truck this time because I owned a 03 6.0 and had problems. The specs on the new 6.2 are very close to the old 6.0 which would tow a house. I will chip it, intake and exhaust it as time and money allow :)

xcflyn

With the price for diesel and reg gas, I would consider gas now , if I was in the market :=<

Not sure I would agree on that. I cant imagine towing 16-18,000 with a gasser. Not trying to make a gas/diesel debate but there is a reason all the big rigs are diesels. I think he made a great move (personally I like a cummins-but they are all good) , He has good reason the be very excited with his new set up. Congratulations !

AKGUY47

Not sure I would agree on that. I cant imagine towing 16-18,000 with a gasser. Not trying to make a gas/diesel debate but there is a reason all the big rigs are diesels. I think he made a great move (personally I like a cummins-but they are all good) , He has good reason the be very excited with his new set up. Congratulations !

Once I get this thing rolling I will post how my truck does. 385 HP and 405 lbs. torque is more hp and almost the same torque as the 6.0 diesel. Yes the diesel makes all that at lower rpms, but Iam hoping with the new six speed tranny it will work. If I have problems I will trade truck in. :) Also if you look alot of class A rvs have gas engines?

xcflyn

Once I get this thing rolling I will post how my truck does. 385 HP and 405 lbs. torque is more hp and almost the same torque as the 6.0 diesel. Yes the diesel makes all that at lower rpms, but Iam hoping with the new six speed tranny it will work. If I have problems I will trade truck in. :) Also if you look alot of class A rvs have gas engines?

I am not looking to disagree with you. But I full time and work at a campground, I talk to RV owners of every make model and style, seems most with big rigs that run gas will be the first to say it drinks their wallet dry. My truck is a 03,3500 DRW-intake/exhaust mods, stacked tuners and upgraded injectors along with many other upgrades, running in the mid 600's for torque with 4:10 gears. I get between 8-10mpg,depending on programmer and tuner settings. The real sweet deal is I can pull 19mpg unloaded. My trailer is pretty heavy (right close to 18,000) and I really can not imagine having a gas rig for my use. But I will also be the first to say I never drove a V-10 or other gas ford or the big chevy gas motor to see how they do, I only know what I hear and that may not be fair for me to use "hear say" for comparing.
Actually when it comes down to brass tacks so to speak, what matters is that you are happy with what you have for what you paid. Money is hard earned and easy spent, if you are happy, thats what matters most, not what me or any one else thinks. I believe you have a high quality truck and a high quality RV, now you need to get out there and put them to use and post some pics for us all to drool over :p

AKGUY47

You are correct, one could sit and argue for days about what truck is best. All that matters is getting there (safely) and having fun! I am at work right now which is remote from my house. I got my Cyclone delivered on Mon. and I had to fly out Wed. Plus the roads up here are not the best in the winter. The first camping trip I have planned is in my driveway. :)

xcflyn

You are correct, one could sit and argue for days about what truck is best. All that matters is getting there (safely) and having fun! I am at work right now which is remote from my house. I got my Cyclone delivered on Mon. and I had to fly out Wed. Plus the roads up here are not the best in the winter. The first camping trip I have planned is in my driveway. :)

Thats funny: driveway camping ! My first one in mine was in the RV dealers parking lot : a locked gate parking lot, we had to order a pizza for a late dinner and run out and meet the delivery guy by the gate. I even spent a few months full timing in my business parking lot. Enjoy the toys as much as you can where ever you can !

AKGUY47

Sounds like fun, good call on the pizza! I have to explain a little so no one feels sorry for me. My house is on three acres with no neighbors close to me. We will have a huge fire with the tunes cranked. I can even shoot guns at my house if we want :) that's how remote we are.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sounds like fun, good call on the pizza! I have to explain a little so no one feels sorry for me. My house is on three acres with no neighbors close to me. We will have a huge fire with the tunes cranked. I can even shoot guns at my house if we want :) that's how remote we are.
Very Cool, I wonder if you and Sarah are buddies. I don't want this to get political either but I think she may be a pretty fun person to know.

caissiel

I have 2 neighbours next to my site that have the GM 8.1L gas engine. They pull 14000 GVW 5th wheels. The top speed they travel when pulling is 55/60 MPH. One lies when he says he gets 10MPG towing while the other neighbour gets 8.5 MPG empty with no trailer in tow.

I tow my 15500 5th wheel with my F250 and get up to 16MPG when I realy watch the Turbo boost.
Lately I can get as much as 25 MPG while driving solo. And that is better then my friend's Dodge caravan.

I buy used diesels and get much better service then buying new gassers and recomend it to all my friends, besides you cannot get rid of a HD gasser anyway.

AKGUY47

Okay, what really turned me off of diesel was my 03 6.0. Now we all know trucks are trucks thay are all the same, we use all brands at work. Yes some have problems, mine had problems! What really sucks is when you are making payments and it is sitting in the shop. Not to get all high and mighty but, Alaska is not like the rest of the states. I have one dealer to use, that's one! I can't go anywhere else to get stuff fixed. That's just the way it is here, we deal with it. If this truck gives me problems I will go GMC faster than you can spell it!

xcflyn

Okay, what really turned me off of diesel was my 03 6.0. Now we all know trucks are trucks thay are all the same, we use all brands at work. Yes some have problems, mine had problems! What really sucks is when you are making payments and it is sitting in the shop. Not to get all high and mighty but, Alaska is not like the rest of the states. I have one dealer to use, that's one! I can't go anywhere else to get stuff fixed. That's just the way it is here, we deal with it. If this truck gives me problems I will go GMC faster than you can spell it!

That 6.0 was bad deal for many,Ford screwed up and let the consumer be the ginny pig. The new ones seem better. They do have great gas motors from what I hear. It only takes me about 2 seconds to spell GMC one I figure out how to spell it:rolleyes:
I only have cummins diesels with manual transmissions. My Father who pulls all the time just went to a GMC and loves it. I think the big 3 are probably all good.
My hope is that your new truck works just the way you need it to and then there is no concerns about what to buy next ! You seem not to be discouraged by others posts and thats good. I dont spend much time on this forum but do on a couple truck and motorcycle ones. A lot of times people want to feel good about what they own and will say its the best- but really in the world today can you take 3 different brand trucks and sell them all for about the same price and have one thats junk ? we live in a fairly tight economy and I think its unlikely. All vehicles can have problems, made by man for man: man is not perfect. Even the cyclone can have a problem- and we all know they are the best:D .

dbhutchins

I tow my 15500 5th wheel with my F250 and get up to 16MPG when I realy watch the Turbo boost.
Lately I can get as much as 25 MPG while driving solo. And that is better then my friend's Dodge caravan.

I'm impressed. I'm pulling my 16K Fiver with my F250 Super Duty and feel lucky when I get more than 9 mpg. Solo it'll just touch 20 mpg on the highway. What are you doing to get these kind of figures?? I'd love to improve mine, with Diesel over 4 bucks now!

caissiel

My signiture explains the equipment I have. I use the scangauge to show my MPG and Temperatures and Turbo boost.
The Hypertech Max Energy gives me lots of torque at any speed so I am able to feather the pedal to give me lowest boost for keeping with the traffic.

My stock 6.0L was a dog stock, it was only good after 2000 RPM and there the fuel mileage was nothing to brag about. With the Programer set on level 2 it gives all the torque required on overdrive and that is at 1750 RPM where the efficiency has been great. This BC trailer has been great to tow and on Florida highway at 60MPH I was towing at a 16MPG rate and kept it lower then 10PSI boost. In Maine I was doing the same rate of fuel mileage while it went to 12/13 in the hills of Virginia and Pensilvania. These were all recorded on my Scangauge that was calibrated within 1% before the trip and was at same reading after the trip.

Yesterday I had the Programer set to level 3 and noticed that the mileage is much better on Drive rather then Overdrive while not towing. I will now test it on Drive while driving back to SC in 2 weeks. Without the scangauge their is no way I could find the most effient gear to tow with. I am an engineer and always like a chalenging project and towing with the programer and Scangauge has been fun.

I have been using the programer for 4 years towing on levels 1 and 2, level 3 is the next experiment. There has never been any alarming gauge readings since I have been programed with the Hypertech Max Energy, so its the one I trust for my truck.

One additional note is that when I have bad fuel I add 2 cycle oil on top of my tanks. Its noticable as soon as I leave the station so I stop at the next chance and pour 8/12 once of oil in my 2 tanks. Been doing it for the past 15 years.