Baton Rouge LA SR 61 to Natchez MS

WilmanJim

Any information on SR 61 north out of Baton Rouge to Natchez MS would be greatly appreciated. We are planning on taking it and traveling the Trace on our way back to Ohio this coming May.
Thank You
Jim and Wilma

WebsiteSam

I live in Vidalia, LA just across the river from Natchez, and travel Hwy 61 a good bit going to Baton Rouge. Much of it is 4-lane, with a couple of good places to stop along the way. St. Francisville has a few good restaurants and a bit of an art colony, if you're interested in some shopping and/or leg-stretching. There's a restaurant right on the border called (appropriately) South of the Border. Woodville, MS is an interesting small town with several convenience store/gas stations right on the highway. A detour to the left at the 4-way stop will take you to some waterfalls and nature. Be aware that it's several miles out and back. Highway 61 takes you right into Natchez. On the way in, you'll see one of our famous landmarks, Mammie's Cupboard, a restaurant shaped like a woman in a big skirt. Very close to that is Plantation RV Park. As you come on into town, take a left at the big intersection beside the hospital - McDonald's and Ruby Tuesday's are on your right - and go down John R. Junkin Drive to the Natchez Visitors Center right beside the Mississippi River Bridge. They can help you with attractions and info. There's a great RV park on the Vidalia side called Riverview RV Park, so named because it is right on the bank of the river, and a beautiful place to stay.
Any other info you need?

WilmanJim

WOW, Thanks WebsiteSam. I'm going to get rid of my AAA that I've had for 45 years and just ask you. LOL
We have traveled the Trace from Tupelo to Nashville but this trip we want to travel the whole thing. We loved it and the History that goes with it.
Thanks again for the info.
Jim

WilmanJim

Could anyone give us an update on taking Hwy 61 North as we will be getting there around the 17th. Hopefully everyone along the Mississippi River is doing OK and not getting Flooded. It sure sounds devastating in some areas.
Safe Travels to All.
Jim