Axle wt rating

rarnold

Good evening fellow forum friends. I'm looking long & hard at the new BH Ti32. The GVWR is approx 14000 lbs. I noticed the axles on this unit are rated at 6,000 lbs. This appears to be under capacity so I'm wondering if this is a problem or has been an issue with the BH's in the past? Also, I have a 15k rated hitch to pull this unit. Will that be enough margin for weight or should I get a 16-20k hitch?

This is my first venture into RV'ing and am trying to do the research right the first time. I would appreciate your thoughts on these questions. Thanks.

Rod

fljlcw

Hi and welcome unless you overload the trailer with "stuff" the axles will be fine the other 2000 lbs. is hitch weight carried on the truck as for the hitch it will be ok to use but I always prefer A little more hitch capacity than 1000lbs over gross trailer weight Fred

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
A couple of things come to mind...

The GVWR is 14,000. To reach that, you will have to load a lot of stuff! The dry weight is 11,258.

I weighed our Big Country at a local CAT scales fully loaded for a week of camping...no fresh water except enough for the emergency flush. Our weight increased by 1200lbs. Some campers do load their rigs to the max GVWR but I think most do not. Our pin weight ended up being about 17% of our Big Country's GVWR. I think it is safe to say that 20% of the 14,000 will be on the pin (truck). This will reduce the weight on the trailer axles.

Your 15K hitch should be fine but if money is not an issue, bigger is better!

Best Wishes and Safe Travels!

rarnold

Thank you for your feedback. I don't think I'll be towing with the full GVWR so I'm thinking the hitch should be OK for a bit. May upgrade down the road just for peace of mind. I won't worry about the axles.

Thanks again to both of you for your thoughts. Hope to see you on the road sometime soon.

Happy trails to you.

Rod

Gary521

Just make sure that the hitch that you have pivots not only front to back but also side to side. I have seen a couple of 15,000 hitches that did not do that.