hitch covers

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I saw a fith wheel hitch that had a cover on it(when not towing)--we were traveling so could not chat with the owner. Does anyone use a hitch cover?--pros/cons/brand/vendors/etc
thanks
al

jbeletti

Al,

I have one. Got it at Camping World. Been on the hitch maybe twice. Guess I am lazy and forgetful. But it's a great idea if you are unhitched for long periods of time (weeks/months).

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could just do what I plan to do, put some kind of bed cover on that allows you to also use the hitch. By doing this you also gain some dry storage while not towing.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi everyone,
I saw a fith wheel hitch that had a cover on it(when not towing)--we were traveling so could not chat with the owner. Does anyone use a hitch cover?--pros/cons/brand/vendors/etc
thanks
al

I have one. I use it if I'm not going to tow for a week or so. Otherwise, I'm a bit lazy about putting it on. I feel it does keep some of the moisture off my hitch in the rain. I think I got it from Campingworld.

truknutt

Committed Member
I use one I got from etrailer.com. Even with the tonneau cover it keeps the grit out of the grease and the grease off of me!!!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave that is true. Never thought about that. Maybe spending a little more than I thought. Boy this RVing is going to expensive! :):):)

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have a Tonneau cover that rolls up while towing and we then put it over the hitch after we disconnect. We also use a teflon plate instead of grease.
Trying to come up with a way to unroll the cover to the hitch while traveling. Don't want to buy another cover. Anyone have any ideas. Ours is a truxedo tonneau cover.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have a Tonneau cover that rolls up while towing and we then put it over the hitch after we disconnect. We also use a teflon plate instead of grease.
Trying to come up with a way to unroll the cover to the hitch while traveling. Don't want to buy another cover. Anyone have any ideas. Ours is a truxedo tonneau cover.

Same here (Laredo cover). I've thought about trying some clamps and cauls to hold it partially open, but it really won't cover much if I do. Most likely, if driving in the rain, the air movement would suck it back underneath, anyways, as it runs off the front of the trailer.

jpajax

Here is my red neck cover. Cheap and it works.:cool:

Attachments

• 0806101419.jpg
    0806101419.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 0806101422.jpg
    0806101422.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 40

ncc1701e

I like the roll up bed cover for this. The Curt hitch in my truck sits neatly under the cover when not needed.
2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 Bed Cover In Place.JPG 2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 Bed Cover Rolled.JPG

Good luck

Tom

porthole

Retired
True - but I hear it's less expensive than owning and maintaining a boat :) Right Gus? Right Duane? :)

For what we have into and still put out to maintain the boat, I could trade in a Landmark every year and still be ahead. Maybe even trade the truck every year too.

ncc1701e

I should have said earlier, the cost of the bed cover was $450 installed. Could have done the installation myself, but it was raining the day it came in and I was lazy.

Tom

aatauses

Thanks everyone, you have given me a few ideas. I did look on Camping world web site and did not see any hitch covers, but will look again.
Currently volunteering in Joshua Tree National Park and had some snow the other day---so much for So CA weather!!!!
al