Verizon or AT&T for Internet Service

Which Internet Service do you use?

• Total voters

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have been using verizon broadband going on 6 years. Only a couple of time have we not been able to get service in our travels but overall have been pleased. In the past we had cable internet service but it was hard not to have internet while camping so therefore we dropped cable and went wireless. Sorry but can't comment on ATT cuz we have been with verizon for years.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Verizon for a little over 2 years. I had an issue in central Wisconsin the first year we returned to the area. After 3 months and several tries by Verizon engineers to find the problem, they credited us for 3 months of service. The problem. I was able to connect using the USB modem and showed a full strength signal and had -64 dbi but my Internet speeds were slower than the slowest dial up. You can't even imagine how slow it was. Based on the fact they tried hard to help and gave me a credit, I believe Verizon to be the best choice. We have had no issues anywhere else. In fact, in the same area we had trouble 2 years ago, we now get good speeds.
Go Figure...

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
ThAt is good to know. We will be spending some time in Wisconsin. We still have a son, wife and now grandbaby living in the Milwaukee area. We just moved from Dodgeville about a year and a half ago. Also lived and have family way up in Rhinelander. Lived in WI for just under 20 years before moving to Alabama.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have used a Verizon aircard with a Cradlepoint router for about two years but will soon switch to Verizon Mi-Fi with 10Gb service.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have had ATT for several years. We got it when it was unlimited. When they quit selling unlimited service I was grandfathered and kept the unlimited service. Recently ATT told us they were dropping our unlimited and changing us to 5 GB plan. When I told them I was grandfathered on a unlimited plan they told me not any more. Since I was not under a 2 year contract they could arbitrarily change me to whatever they wanted to. I have still kept ATT but don't know for sure what I want to do. If Verizon offers an unlimited plan again I know I will tell ATT to stick it. I have never had any trouble using ATT but sometimes do not have 3G only Edge which is fairly slow.

6.7powerstroke

I have both of them. I have a Verizon MiFi device for their 3G and the iPhone on AT&T. Verizon is much better. In some parts of the country, AT&T is basically useless. In NYC, I actually have to have my MiFi device turned on and then use the WiFi feature of my iPhone to get online because AT&T's 3G doesn't work at all in NYC. The only drawback is that the MiFi from Verizon doesn't work on their 4G network, only the 3G network. Not a big deal because 4G coverage is few and far between anyway. I suspect that Verizon will launch an updated MiFi that will work on 4G at some point this year.

jbeletti

Michael,

You'll find RVers use Verizon, Sprint and AT&T cellular data modems, usually in that order. Most have found AT&T to be the least built-out in terms of network. Most have found Verizon to be the most built-out in terms of network. That said, certainly it's an evolving landscape.

Your absolute best bet is to compare the data coverage maps from the providers to your planed locations and routes. Then consider going with whomever covers you best. Most will have a return policy as well. Those policies are short, but can be used (ask mrcomer :).

Good luck,

Jim

2psnapod2

Thanks Jim, we are leaning towards Verizon since they seem to have better coverage as far as I see. Our techie son says they are better for us. We have AT&t now which prompted the question. Thank everyone for your input. It reinforced what our son keeps telling us. Michael

mmomega

AnyTimer
ATT data speeds are quite faster than that of Verizons, I usually tether my iPhone to my laptop on vacations and if I am getting 3G it is quite comparable to some entry DSL speeds. I've gotten around 3Mb/s with good 3G coverage.
Jailbreak iPhone + MyWi app = tethering all you want without paying the extra $20.00/month ATT wants to charge just for the ability to do it, it goes off of your current data plan. Also allows you to turn the iphone into a mobile hotspot. Pretty neat IMO.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked the speed of my Verizon Droid tethered to my laptop. 3.65 Mb/s. Not bad. They all get good speeds when in a good coverage area.
I like Verizon. I have phones and an air card through them.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Dave - what tethering app are you using for Droid? I've used PDAnet many years ago on other platforms and I know that is available for Droid along with others. I'd prefer to see Nancy be able to tether using bluetooth but I have read BT tethering is not very robust. We may need to start a tethering thread so we don't hijack Michael's AT&T vs. Verizon thread :)

2psnapod2

Nope your not stealing it as I am also considering that as a short term option. The only issue with that is I would have to jail-brake my IPhone.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, I am using PDANet.
Oh, and Michael, I get around 13 Mb/s using my Verizon air card in a good area.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
No Jim, that's my Verizon USB727 air card. 3G. I am in a good coverage area. I ran 3 speed tests all from different servers. Not all the same speed but 13 was average.

Peace
Dave

TXTiger

I believe that both Verizon and ATT use a cell tower to connect to the internet, If you are in an area where there is no service you can not get online. does anybody know of a satellite internet service?