New Edge M17 owner

4JIdaho

My wife and I just purchased a Edge M17 Platinum recently. Will pick up in May. Anybody out there using one of these yet? What do you think? Any problems that we can bring up upon our walk-thru? Any neat ideas for add-ons or cheap accessories for daily use?

Thanks -

Jerry and Joyce
Post Falls, ID

camr

Jerry and Joyce, Welcome to the forum. We purchased an M-22 last year and have found it to be a very well built TT. The two additions that we had done by the dealer were adding a second battery, and installing a Fantastic Fan in the bathroom. They also installed Maxx Air vent covers over both the vents. In retrospect, the additional battery wasn't really needed, as we have always camped where there were hookups. The Fantastic Fan and Maxx Air vent covers have been worth their weight in gold, and I would recommend them. The AC works great, although a little loud. The pull down shades with the reflective foil really do a great job of keeping the interior cool. I also installed a Tireminder pressure monitor for peace of mind. We had a Reese sway control hitch installed and it has worked great.On my future wish list is to convert the interior lights to LED's and maybe a power jack.

I know the wait until May will be the longest wait in the history of the world for you, but where we live, it will be about that long until the snow is gone!!!!!!

I wish you the best of luck, and make sure that you visit this forum daily.

Cam and Heather

4JIdaho

Camr,

All good ideas. I have been busy trying to familiarize myself with all the operational processes. Our shakedown run will be at a local place here right on the banks of Lake Coeur d'Alene. If all goes well, we'll be ready for summer travel! Since the M17 is light and fairly short, we are going to go without any sway bars, levelers for now, just to see how it rides. It does have two batteries and I think you are corect about new fan and vent covers, but we'll rpbably holdoff on any mods until we use it some -

thanks -
Jerry

camr

Jerry, The fantastic fan mod is relatively simple. It does not require new vents, but only the removal of the existing fan from the inside of the Edge. The vent lid and external roof unit stays intact. Although I did not do the mod by myself, it appears to be an easy project, based on other posts that I have read. We also put Maxx-air vent covers on the vents. Give the first trip a try without a WD hitch and sway bars, but I'm willing to bet that you will require them if you are travelling any distance. Things can get pretty hairy very fast when sway starts to get out of control, and at the very least, can tire you out very quickly when fighting a swaying trailer. Oh, and I almost forgot, give a thought to a memory foam topper for the mattress. If you decide to pass on the memory foam, then maybe consider a gift certificate from a chiropractor for your significant other.
Have a great trip, and let us know how it goes.
Cam

4JIdaho

Camr,

We picked up the M17 about a week ago, seems to pull very easy on the way home. We have about a 4-hour drive to our first site soon, so that will be the acid test as far as towing.
The one thing I noticed right away on the interior is that the bathroom door hits the edge of the dinette - if it was moved 1/2", it would clear it. Funny that they designed it that way. The wife doesn't want me to notch the dinette back (even though I am an upholsterer) so I am just hoping we are careful with it and don't ruin the fabric by repeatedly hitting in with the door.
About 3/4 of the way into loading up the TT, and seems like everything is going to fit well. The first mod may be a bike rack attachment for the rear, would be nice to have that. Would just have to get a receiver welded underneath the rear bumper.

Take care -

Jerry

4JIdaho

Back from first trip

We recently returned from our first trip with the new Edge M17. We drove over the pass to Missoula, Mt., from North Idaho. The trailer pulls well with our Hummer H3. I did not get an exact mpg, but we made the distance easily with a full tank.

Stayed four nights at Missoula KOA. Great hosts -Lilacs all around were in full bloom - a very sweet smell -

The unit performed well, got used to the mattresses after one night, and really we had plenty of strorage for the three of us and the dog. Actually used the heater quite a bit due to some chilly nights in the 30s.

Shower is adequate, but a little tiny for a big guy like me. We need to find a weighted shower curtain before next trip, to avoid excess water on the bathroom floor after showering. Water heater pumps out HOT water, have to be ready for that -

All in all, we are very pleased - a great unit in a tiny 3K package.

Jerry

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Jerry, Thanks for the report on your first trip. If you ever make it over to Northwest Wyoming drop us a line. We will be planning a rally for this fall. The link below will take you to the thread if you have any interest. Safe travels and happy camping.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/24610-Wyoming-HOC-June-Newsletter

Jerry, The fantastic fan mod is relatively simple. It does not require new vents, but only the removal of the existing fan from the inside of the Edge. The vent lid and external roof unit stays intact. Although I did not do the mod by myself, it appears to be an easy project, based on other posts that I have read. We also put Maxx-air vent covers on the vents. Give the first trip a try without a WD hitch and sway bars, but I'm willing to bet that you will require them if you are travelling any distance. Things can get pretty hairy very fast when sway starts to get out of control, and at the very least, can tire you out very quickly when fighting a swaying trailer. Oh, and I almost forgot, give a thought to a memory foam topper for the mattress. If you decide to pass on the memory foam, then maybe consider a gift certificate from a chiropractor for your significant other.
Have a great trip, and let us know how it goes.
Cam

WE will be pulling an M192 with a 2004 ford 150 lariat 5L engine.... will sway bars be required... I am new a this and would love to know before I get into some kind of wind etc
Thanks
Denis

camr

Hi Denis, I think that money spent on a good quality sway control is money well spent. Given a choice between spending money on a safety item or any other item, I will always make the obvious choice. The hitch can move with you from unit to unit as long as the capacity is within limits. Fighting trailer sway can be very tiring, and arriving at the campsite beat and tired is no way to camp. I have been very satisfied with the Reese sway control hitch, but there are others like the Hensley that are as good or perhaps better. When I calculate the cost of the hitch as a percentage of the tow vehicle and trailer purchase price, it is almost negligible. I am sure you will be pleased with your choice of the Edge. Welcome to the "club" and happy camping!!!!
Cam