Extang Solid Fold?

wyleyrabbit

I am leaning towards getting an Extang Solid Fold tonneau cover for my truck, but was wondering if it's possible to drive with it on and partly open when towing the 5er? Or would I have to remove it entirely when towing?

Boca_Shuffles

We have been traveling for about a year and a half without any problems with the tonneau cover open while the using the 5th wheel. This included trips from Michigan to Arizona, Tennessee, Indiana, and around Michigan.

You will have to check that the cover doesn't inch forward towards your rear TV window due to the backdraft (you will be using only two clips versus the normal four clips). I added a strip of foam at the front of my truck bed to give me more surface contact with the top (I have plastic side rail protectors).

Just be sure to check your hitch with the cover open.

I must admit that I don't have any experience with driving over rough terrain. There might be a problem with deep pot holes that cause extreme movement of the truck. You may not want to do this if you drive off road a lot.

wyleyrabbit

Thanks for the tip. I don't generally drive over rough terrain, with the exception of sometimes bad roads within campgrounds, but those are at low speed.

I was leaning towards it, but then thought the Bakflip G2 might be better until I read reviews indicating that the Bakflip doesn't stand up well over time. So now I'm back to leaning towards the Extang again.

Would you buy the Extang Solid Fold again?

aquiring signal

I have the Extang Solid Fold on a long bed truck. I've towed with it open with no real problems, but I have to say I would not buy it again. The one third that is fixed (plus the other 2 pieces stacked up when it is open) blocks my view of the hitch. So it works, but I find it easier to hook up when I can see the hitch from the drivers seat. I think next time I'll buy a roll top style, or maybe a 4 piece folder.

Rrloren

I have the Advance cover and it opens 3 panels toward the front or the front panel opens towards the rear one panel. It has 2 strap clips on each side to hold it folded up when towing.It is lockable and works well.I have towed my 5th wheel over 10m miles with this cover open.
I've had it over a year and it hasn't given me any problems unlike the Bak-flip cover that didn't last a year and a half.
It does block the view of the hitch when hooking up but I found that taping a piece of duct tape on the underside inline with the hitch is a big help when hooking.

wyleyrabbit

Yeah, I keep reading reports of people who say their Bakflip covers simply didn't last. Everything from how easy they dent to how the hinges deteriorate quickly. My truck lives outside (my double-car garage wouldn't fit my truck even diagonally) so I need something that's going to last.

I've looked at the roll-top covers, but they seem to be more than double the price for anything decent. I can think of better things to do with the $1200-1500 price difference between them.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am presently looking in to covers. I am just about set on the G4 Elite Fold a cover. Anyone have one of them? Looks like about 750 in price.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have a folding hard cover and I travel with it folded up behind the cab. Never had any problem with it like that. I really like my hard cover versus soft covers that I had in the past.

wyleyrabbit

Just googled the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite. Very nice looking cover, and is now on my short list. Anyone have any experience on these?

Wmnmy

Hello we have a ford f-250 with the extang tri fold cover works great and we keep it on while in tow cover hitch when we disconnect works great helps w fuel milage also .It was a little over 300$ on auto anything .com had it for a couple years now still holding up.it does cover hitch view but a piece of blue tape helps or duct tape.

Boca_Shuffles

I have the Extang Solid Fold on a long bed truck. I've towed with it open with no real problems, but I have to say I would not buy it again. The one third that is fixed (plus the other 2 pieces stacked up when it is open) blocks my view of the hitch. So it works, but I find it easier to hook up when I can see the hitch from the drivers seat. I think next time I'll buy a roll top style, or maybe a 4 piece folder.

Put a piece of three foot long PVC pipe in your hitch when you are backing up to hitch the trailer. When the pipe moves, stop and remove it. You will be correctly aligned with your hitch. :)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a solid tri-fold cover which didn't give us any problems with the BC regular pin hitch. When we upgraded the pin to TrailAir Tri-glide hitch, we can not use the tri-fold becuz the Tri-glide is longer than the regular pin hitch which hit the cover while turning :(. We are probably going to replace the tri-fold with a four fold if I can find one reasonable. We really like the covers cuz you can close the bed up where stuff inside is not visible.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Got a Tonno Pro trifold for Christmas. Haven't put it on the Ram yet. This is my 3rd Tonno Pro, haven't had any issues with any of them. Not bad for the price.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Do yourself a favor and before you buy any cover check the Access Roll Up covers out. Here is the site: http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C9/ I have had three on three seperate trucks and they are low profile, look good, extremely easy to open and close quickly and durable. I use a low profile tool box and Access makes a cover that butts up to the tool box. Rolls up fine when towing my Cyclone and stays in place with two straps on each side of the bed. Does not block any view for hook-ups. Once I drop the trailer within seconds the bed is covered. Check it out.