Mac Mini controlled Home(RV) Theater

mmomega

AnyTimer
Well after just ordering the new Key Largo I want to give it a proper entertainment system. We are still a month out from picking it up so I won't have install pics until then. I have this setup at home and it works great.

Apple Mac Mini - probably the smallest form factor quiet computer I could find.
2 Terabyte Hard Drive
Plex - which ties everything together

before I go into much detail here's a video I just took with my phone and posted. Sorry the phone doesn't have super nice video recording against bright light so the video is a bit washed out.

Basically you have your TV, Stereo Receiver, MacMini and that's it. Take out the need for any DVD/BluRay players because everything is stored on the hard drive.

All you really need to get started is a video collection, rip all the movies or TV shows to the hard drive. Install Plex Media Center, tell Plex to look to the hard drive for your files and thats about it. It downloads all information on each show/movie ex: synopsis, actors, year made, etc etc etc.
This puts all of your media at the touch of a button with a beautiful interface and you never worry about changing DVD's again :)

vesteroid

I have a mac pro laptop so I found plex, what do you use to "rip" dvds and to what file format.

I want to try this but need some additional info..and how do you take the mac to tv connection?

Peteyx

Do a google search for "handbrake". It works well. For the connection, use an Apple Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to connect to the HDMI input on your tv. It will handle audio and video.

mmomega

AnyTimer
When I rip, I use Handbrake 90% of the time. I have toyed with MacTheRipper and it does fine but I've been using Handbrake longer so it is usually my choice.
On a side note : I would download "Perian" it's a one stop shop for all video codecs you would need to play any format you rip to. It allows Plex to play anything.
Like Peteyx mentioned, I use the MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adaptor. If you don't need it right now I would suggest Monoprice.com they are much cheaper than anywhere else as well as HDMI cables from them.
If you want to record TV shows directly to your hard drive to put on an external, check out Elgato's EyeTV. Basically allows you to turn your computer into a DVR.