2011 BigHorn 3610RE - newbie fivers

OregonNT

Hello! We currently own a NorthTrail which we are trading in for a 2011 BigHorn 3610RE. We're having to buy a truck for the new rig and are being given conflicting information from various Dodge dealers.

We've been told by some that a Dodge Cummins 2500 with air bags will do the job just fine.

Others have told us a 3500 is essential.

Also, any information on the necessity of a 4.1 vs. 3.73 axle ratio would be helpful.

Thanks so much!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I will bet that the RV dealer said a 2500 would do the job. And it will. However the 3500 would be your best bet. Tires are another consideration as far as weight carrying capacity is concerned. So air bags and tires would be what you would need. Go with the one ton.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

It may be worse than you think. Ask them to get out their books and show you the PAYLOAD specification. On the 2010 Dodges, even the 3500 has a very low payload spec unless you get a dual rear wheel model. The single rear wheel 3500 is around 2700 pounds if I recall correctly, compared to >4000 for Ford and GMC. PAYLOAD has to be enough to cover your pin weight, you, your passengers, fuel, hitch, and anything in the truck bed, plus extra weight from options, and stuff you put in the front end and basement of your RV. The Heartland website shows 2115 as the pin weight before you put anything in the RV. You'll definitely need the 3500, but unless they've beefed up the srw models, or you get a dually, the Dodge 1 ton still won't do it for you.

Btw, just looked on their website. They still try to confuse the payload issue by showing specs for the dually configurations. You have to look hard to find the single rear wheel spec which is 2780.

Last edited:

Cimriver

I would definitely go with the 1 ton. Very little cost difference and will handle greater pin weights.

Interesting what danemayer is saying about the payload rating on the new Dodges.

joey

Be careful when looking at the Dodge 2500 or 3500 as their payload is very low unless you go with the dually,as for air bags they do not raise your payload they only level your truck. You can find the payload on the drivers side door sill and when I checked last it was only like 2700-2800lbs not allot since the hitch weight on a big horn is around 2200 then you have to add the hitch weight passenger weight which probably be at the max or over. So if you are looking at the Dodge you would probably need the Dually. Hopes this helps.

jimtoo

Hi joey,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

This thread is kinda old, (date is on left side of blue line) so you may not get any replies, but thanks for your input. We hope you become a Heartlander if your not an owner now.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Pizzaguy

I would go with a one ton dually. We are pulling our 3610 with a Ford F250 with air bags and it handles it Ok, but we never travel very far. Our next truck will be be a F350,and likely a dually. Went across the scale last year and pin weight was 3000 lbs.

mmomega

AnyTimer
My vote for 3500.
Air Bags are ONLY for leveling out your ride they don't increase any tow ratings. A 6000lb rated axle with 10,000lb rated air bags is still only rated at 6,000lbs. With the minimal price difference between a 2500 and 3500 always go for the larger if you will be towing anything larger than a bumper pull. The piece of mind of having more truck than the job calls for is so worth it. I've been in the same boat before and made due until I could get the truck I should've had in the first place.
I chalk it up to just not being as informed back then as I am now.
Live and learn.

..... I read Jim's post after posting and noticed the thread was from last year. Apparently I fail at reading from top to bottom.