ATF: North Trail - 24-RBS shipping weight

TeJay

Gentleman,
We just took delivery of our NT 24-RBS. We devoted many months of internet searching then dealer visits before deciding on the NT 24-RBS. We were very pleased with the interior fit and finish and the decor. However during our search weight was the first concern before selecting floor plans or decor.

We can tow 8,000 lbs but wanted the trailer weight as far below 80% of out listed maximum weight as possible. More weight decreases fuel mileage and increases wear & tear on the TV. The NT dry weight was listed in the literature, & on several sights as between 4,640 and 4,700. I am aware that different options would also affect the weight. We had the following options: electric stabilizer jacks, electric hot water tank, aluminum wheels, 15,000 BTU / AC, and black refer fronts. The title says that the shipping weight is 5,133 lbs. Why would there be a 400 to 500 pound difference in the weight? Had we known that we might have purchased a smaller trailer.

With the dry weight very close to 5,200 lbs. & G.V.W.R at 6,900 our maximum loaded weight is reduced to 1,700 lbs.
Before deciding on a unit we had discussed ways of packing smart and light so as not to stress the TT, TV and to aid in fuel efficiency. One would think that the aluminum wheels would be lighter than the stock steel wheels? I don't think the options did much to increase the weight.

We know there's not much that can be done about the weight but I'd like to know why it's that much heavier than listed. I will also have the TT weighed at some point.
Thanks,
TeJay

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I cannot speak for the factory. But I can say this seems to be a common confusion when shopping for any towable RV, not specfic to Heartland.

M

Mcreech

Tejay,

Can you look at the yellow sticker on the inside of the entry door and see what the weight says there....Sometimes the number on the title isn't correct for some reason...Thanks

TeJay

Mcreech,
The yellow sticker on the entry door says the same as the title 5133 lbs. We did weigh the camper and truck at a Cat Scale: Steer axle 3080, Drive axle - 3300, trailer axle - 5100 and gross weight 11,480. We did have it loaded with most of our stuff for a trip. I don't know how close the truck scale matches the trailer due to the fact that it was hooked up to the truck.

TeJay

APT

While this is not a surprise to me (mine was about 300 pounds over brochure dry weight rating, 500 pound is not going to make any difference is wear and tear on the TV, or fuel economy. The 8x8' wall pushing through the air has way more inpact than 4000 pounds or 8000 pounds unless you are towing up a mountain.

irvin56

The easiest way to know is once your hooked and weighted in. pull off scale unhook trailer and weight just truck itself. subtract the truck weight and you will have the total trailer weight. your truck will take some weight from tongue of trailer so that is why the trailer axles will be different from total weight of trailer.

GaryWT

If you subtract out the jacks and the AC, then you will be closer to the weight in the book. The dry weight is what they are shooting for, during construction they may have substatuted something that weighted more.

TeJay

Hey folks thanks for all the info. It's never as simple as it seems. It's amazing that two vehicle with four axles when weighed can be the same but yet so different. The impact of the weight is so different when tongue weight and axle weight are considered. I knew that when we were looking that I wanted to stay within 80% of our maximum TV capacity. We took one long trip to FL and after 3,000 miles averaged about 10.8 MPG. I was hoping for something over 11 but I guess that will have to do. While at the dealership the wife looked at a 29-RSS and said that she fell in love with it. The 24-RBS is only 3 months old and already she looking. I told her that we'd have to win the lottery and buy a diesel then a new TT. I used to tell my automotive students this story. "When you are considering getting married keep this in mind. I am happily married with 2 children and 4 grand children but if I were single I'd have a Harley in the garage and a twin engine aircraft in a hanger at the local airport." Life's little surprises.

TeJay