Intermitant Propane Leak

MarkL

We have a new ElkRidge 27RLSS and we're experiencing an intermitant Propane Leak when the furnace is on. Sometimes it works just fine but other times you can smell the gas and it sets off the LP alarm. The leak is only apperent when the furnace is on. My better judgement tells me to leave it alone and take it back to the dealer but the tinkerer in me would like to know if there might be a simple fix. Has anyone had a similar experience?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have a new ElkRidge 27RLSS and we're experiencing an intermitant Propane Leak when the furnace is on. Sometimes it works just fine but other times you can smell the gas and it sets off the LP alarm. The leak is only apperent when the furnace is on. My better judgement tells me to leave it alone and take it back to the dealer but the tinkerer in me would like to know if there might be a simple fix. Has anyone had a similar experience?

No leak or smell of gas when running the stove or water heater (on propane only)? Try sniffing around the tanks/regulator while the furnace is running. If it's really strong there, then you may have a bad regulator, damaged hose or a loose fitting. A loose fitting, you can deal with. Beyond that, if you're near you're dealer, take it back to them. If you mess with it and get it wrong, you'll either end up in the next county or have a voided warranty...or both.

MarkL

So far, only when I run the furnace. I'll sniff around the tanks and test the stove and water heater again tonight just to make sure.

santafedave

Santafedave
I have my 2008 Cyclone in the shop and they are looking at a propane leak, the tech states that the lines weren't snug (to the regulator) and that he is going to have to get underneath and look at the lines going to the stove. So far this has cost me 250.00 and they haven't found all of the leaks yet. Take your TT to the shop if it is still under warrenty. D.

HappyKayakers

I would first try testing from the regulator and cylinders with an approved liquid leak detector like this. You may find others in your local hardware store or propane dealer. This is just an example.
"You should check all the tank and line connections periodically to be sure they are tight. When testing for leaks, a special propane liquid leak detector solution should be used. Do not use liquid soap as ammonia or chlorine in the liquid soap can damage the brass fittings. You should never use a match to look for leaks!" That's a quote from this site with other good info on propane.
You shouldn't need to turn on any other propane applicances, just use the leak detector at the appliance since there should always be propane in the line up to that point.
As JohnDar said, you don't want to wind up in the next county. Anything other than tightening should be taken back to the dealer - with propane shut off at the tanks.

MarkL

Did a check last night...no leaks from the water heater or stove. Checked around the tanks, everything is tight and can't smell any LP. Ran the furnace and still nothing. I guess it's time to give in and take it back to the dealer.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Mark,

When you ran the furnace and got an alarm, are you certain it was the LP detector and not the CO detector?

MarkL

Mark,

When you ran the furnace and got an alarm, are you certain it was the LP detector and not the CO detector?

Yes, it was the LP detector mounted at floor level by the door. The alarm cleared as soon as I opened the door. When it first went off I thought it was the CO detector.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
A large spray bottle filled with water and a ounce of Dawn is your friend. Spray it everywhere the gas line travels including inside the furnace back to the propane tanks. (look for bubbles) Don't waste your money on leak detector liquid.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Being of the opposite sex, I'm not good with the mechanics of LP lines but I can tell you an experienced we had with our new at that time coach. We keep snelling gas any time the gas was being used. Ran the coach by the dealer coming back from a camping trip and he found that the brass splitter between the stove and the refrig was cracked and barely keeping the two lines together. Said we were very lucky it didn't come apart. He ran down to the electrical store, bought a new fitting and bingo, we were on the road again. That's been 5 season ago and we haven't had a bit of trouble since.
Byrd

Northern Virginia
A large spray bottle filled with water and a ounce of Dawn is your friend. Spray it everywhere the gas line travels including inside the furnace back to the propane tanks. (look for bubbles) Don't waste your money on leak detector liquid.

I have used both. The gas leak liquid does work better as it sticks to the pipe and you can swab it around the back side of the fittings. If you want to throw some money at it, you could buy a digital leak meter (sniffer) like the fire department uses.21DHA0276WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think you may have a leak inside the furnace, at or after the heaters control valve.

Good luck, John

fljlcw

We use childrens blow bubbles buy the refill at dollar store its cheap we fill our spray bottle and and our grandkids, spill, use the rest Fred

MarkL

We used it this weekend and didn't experience any alarms. Kinda frustrating but I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I'll definately get some leak detector solution to keep in my tool box.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have used both. The gas leak liquid does work better as it sticks to the pipe and you can swab it around the back side of the fittings. If you want to throw some money at it, you could buy a digital leak meter (sniffer) like the fire department uses.View attachment 12183

I think you may have a leak inside the furnace, at or after the heaters control valve.

Good luck, John
Don't agree, I used both methods and did it for a living for 29 years...the spray bottle can get to more areas period! It's easier to use and get's in tighter spots and finds more leaks. (smile)
I do agree with you on your choice of dogs! Nothing better than a German Shepard.
ps. Can you please level up your 5er before the next tow?

Northern Virginia
I appreciate your concern for my horizontal well being. The rear wheels of the camper were parked over a storm drain and was quite a bit lower than the surrounding parking area. In oter words, it ain't bad.

Since you mentioned it though, from your pic, you have leveled your rig at the sacrifice of a bad rear squat and dangerously low bed clearance. You might want to adjust your hitch before you do any damage to your bed.

Take care and safe travels, John

Last edited:

Theresau

I'm joining this thread because I've twice smelled propane in the bedroom right after the furnace shuts off when we've run out of propane in the tank we were using. The problem went away the first time after Joe opened the second tank and restarted the furnace.

This time (two days ago), Joe didn't open the second tank and restart the furnace when it quit running (it was already morning and we weren't really that cold); I stayed in bed and fell back asleep to wake up completely ill feeling and strongly smelling propane prob at least 10 mins. later. (Joe was up in the living area and couldn't smell it.) Joe then quickly opened the second tank, etc. as he did before and everything was ok.......

Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think we have a LP alarm (if we do, it didn't go off either time)....where is it usually located in a Bighorn?

Theresa

olcoon

A 2010 Big Horn should have a propane detector. On our Elk Ridge it's just inside the door near the floor. You should have 3 detectors, smoke, propane, and carbon monoxide. The only one near the floor will be the propane detector.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check your Propane detector to see if it is working. Yes we do get a slight Propane smell when the one tank runs out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think we have a LP alarm (if we do, it didn't go off either time)....where is it usually located in a Bighorn?

Theresa
Theresa, our LP alarm is located next to the steps going up to the bedroom. Very close to the air return for the furnace. I really can't explain why you're having the odor. I also believe the LP alarm is hard wired 12 volt. It may be fused though so check that out.

wdk450

I don't know if this will help if you have a leak WITHIN an appliance, but you can get an absolute check of gas line integrity by using a LP pressure gauge. The gauges you buy to tell you if you are running out of LP are the same thing. Here's how you do it.

1. Attach the gauge between the tank and the tank hose.
2. With all LP devices OFF, turn on the tank valve to apply pressure. Note the gauge needle reading.
3. Turn OFF the supply tank valve. If there are no leaks, the system should hold pressure, and the pressure gauge needle should not go down.