Dexter vs Lippert

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would like to take advantage of the promo for a Goshen attendees and among other things, I would like to upgrade to 8k axles. Right now i have Dexter (7k's I believe.) I have heard Dexter is the best. Am I to understand if I upgrade I will get Lippert 8k's or Dexter's?
My dealer told me that although I have Dexter's, they came from Lippert.(?)
I'm confused. I don't want to insult anyone at Lippert by saying I would rather have Dexter, but I would like the 8k's.

I would appreciate any input from those who have experience with both, Thanks

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would suggest e-mailing jarod Lippert or calling him on the number supplied on the Promo sheet. Get an answer straight from the horse...

TandT

I would like to take advantage of the promo for a Goshen attendees and among other things, I would like to upgrade to 8k axles. Right now i have Dexter (7k's I believe.) I have heard Dexter is the best. Am I to understand if I upgrade I will get Lippert 8k's or Dexter's?
My dealer told me that although I have Dexter's, they came from Lippert. When I first got the rig the dealer was calling Lippert about the brakes.I'm confused. I don't want to insult anyone at Lippert by saying I would rather have Dexter, but I would like the 8k's.

Let me rephrase the question. Which is better, 7k Dexter axles or 8k Lippert?................ OPINIONS PLEASE. Thanks

Last edited:

lwmcguir

8K Lippert without a doubt. We have had them for a couple of years and they are great. Large brakes work very well and the coach rides like a dream. Springs sit up very well and are exactly the same as when installed. We do have CP as well.

TandT

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? The 8k Lipperts include self adjusting brakes at a good price. Dexter self adjusters are alot more.
However I'm a bit conflicted on which is the best quality axle. Thanks

HappyKayakers

I sure wish more opinions had been posted on this. My BH goes in the shop tomorrow morning due to abnormal tire wear on my FL to NC trip. They suspect axles but will measure to make sure.

Willym

I just had the 8K upgrade done in Elkhart. The new axles are much beefier than the 7K's. The trailer rode very well on them on the trip back to Ontario. I can't comment on the brakes yet as I don't seem to be getting full output from my controller/truck wiring. This is something I have to troubleshoot this weekend.

jbeletti

Bill,

Did you gain some clearance with this upgrade? I have the 8k axles/springs and the coach is at least 2" higher than usual. I just had my rear hydraulic leveling jacks lowered 2 bolt holes as I was stroking out when attempting to level in some spots. All is better now.

Willym

Jim,
I hadn't thought about this. We,ve only parked on level spots since the change was made. I just eyeballed it, and we have probably gained at least an inch in height. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

irvin56

Just thought of a Question on upgrade, thinking on my North trail. It's maxed and would like to put 15" tires but would have to go to Diff axles for clearance and weight.

I believe the Gvwr would go up. what about legally changing the plate on side of trailer for weight police??
Never did this before so just askin.

Can anyone give me a answer for this. Please

thanks Irvin

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
As I understand it, once that sticker is on your vehicle that is the GVWR. You can change your tires, springs and axles and you will know that it will support more load but the actual GVWR remains as it is on the origional sticker.

Peace
Dave