=============================
  • Category: Side Dish
  • Special:

Meta Data
  • Yield: 6 servings
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Ready in: 45 minutes
  • Difficulty: 2 ( 1 - Easy, 5 - Difficult )
  • Source: mmomega

Ingredients

• Box of elbow Macaroni
    3 Tbsp Real Butter
    3 Tbsp Flour
    3 cp Milk
    1/2 Large yellow onion, finely diced
    1 Lg egg
    1 Tsp Paprika
    12-16oz shredded cheese
    Salt + Pepper

Panko bread crumbs

Preparation Instructions

• Go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 F.

Get a pot of salted boiling water started to cook the macaroni. You don't want it cooked completely soft because we will be baking this in the oven as well, just get it al dente.

While the pasta is cooking grab another larger pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and make sure there are no lumps, continue cooking for about 2-3 minutes.
    Add your milk, onion and paprika.
    Let this simmer for about 10 minutes.

Check your pasta, if its done strain and rinse with cool water to stop it from cooking set aside.

Temper the egg and stir into mixture, if you don't temper the heat will cook the egg right away so remember this.
    Add about 3/4 of the cheese continue stirring until it is very creamy, about 1 min.
    Season with salt and pepper to your liking.

Start folding the pasta into the cheese mix until completely coated and pour into a 2 qt casserole dish.
    Top with the remaining cheese.

Melt about 3 Tbps butter and add approx: 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs and toss until well coated.

Add the bread crumbs over top of the cheese.

Place in oven for 30 mins.

Enjoy.

Tips
When my mac n cheese is almost done I will turn the broiler on to brown the bread crumbs, it looks amazing.

Be sure to watch carefully while the broiler is on because it can burn very quickly, you just want to brown the top.

After using Panko Bread crumbs once I have yet to go back to regular crumbs, Panko just has so much more texture to it and stays 'crispier'.

Pitfalls

Variation Ideas
Also, if you have it, I usually add 1 Tbsp Powdered Mustard and 2 Bay Leaves when you add the milk. After simmering for the 10 minutes remove the bay leaves. I usually add these 2 extra ingredients to my recipe but when giving out the recipe I sometimes leave them out just because they aren't everyday household spices/herbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited: