Lenght Question

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We are going to be ordering a new Bighorn with in the next week or two. We like the 3400 RL better than our origional choice 3055RL. The trailer is almost 37 ft and our overall lenght will be about 53 ft. We would appreciate any comments on this length pro or con as to limitations, expense, permits, legality or any other topic you have.
Thank you in advance for you comments.
Regards

HappyKayakers

We have the same truck (well, a year newer) and a 3600RL. I'm not aware of any legalities that we're getting close to. I think those usually kick in around 65 ft. You should check the trailer life towing guides by state for that info. Having never pulled any type of RV before this purchase, we haven't run into any problems at that length. Backing has been interesting, but getting better with every move.

jpmorgan37

Wayne;
Length will not be an issue in any state as far as towing is concerned. Height, however, is one that you will have to be on the alert. Most of your major roads are over your 13 foot height. Secondary road are another issue. I was on one road with a covered bridge at 9 feet. Needless to say, I didn't try it. When you are picking your campgrounds, check the site length and width. Some still won't accommodate our length and width, so check you books or make phone calls. Anyway, congratulations on your decision and try to make the rally in Elkhart.
John

nhunter

When booking a campground we"stretch";) the length of our trailer a little (ie 36' tell them 38'). Some try and give you a short site that you have to fight to get into. Never had a problem with length here.

phranc

We have never had a problem with length.Although someday I'm sure we will.We do ask campgrounds when reserving about their 'big rig' policy..
When towing,after a short time you will never notice a difference..

BluegrassMan

Hi All:

This isn't fifth wheelin', but on the length subject. A drag racing guy I know of, has one of those Freightliner motorhhome box trucks, usually they are white and Stainless. He had his enclosed 2 car trailer on the back (5ver). I believe it was in Texas going down the interstate, and was pulled over by THP. Issued him a fine for being over length, if I can remember correctly he said 60 ft. was Texas' limit and he was 63-65 ft. I live in PA and never heard of them enforcing this on RV's here. I do know that if you have an RV that is 102" wide, you can't drive it on some back roads, larger highways only. But that is a different subject.

You should check to see if you need to upgrade your drivers license

We are also looking into a 3400RL which is aprox 14k in weight and we were told after 10k you need to upgrade your license to pull that much weight. Something to check out. If you get stopped it is a **** of a tow bill.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Sonny
If your trailer is over 4600 kg on the axels of the trailer you have to do the "51" endorsment. I have do it as our 3055 is close the the limit. You do a full class 1 walkaround and then a 40 minute drive with the examiner.
Not really that difficult to do. I see that you are from a little north of me, so I don't know where your license office is.
Your insurance might be the biggest problem if you are not properly licenced.
Weight the unit in full tow mode and see what your trailer axels weight.
good luck and you will really like Heartland products
Rand

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sonny, in Calif. you have to have a Class 1 non commercal licence if the towed vehical is 15K and over. For weight under that it is a class 3 with an adendum. I dont know about other states but here if you crash and do not have the correct licence your insurance may not pay off. I think Calif is still 65'. Bob

nhunter

sailorand said:
Sonny
If your trailer is over 4600 kg on the axels of the trailer you have to do the "51" endorsment. I have do it as our 3055 is close the the limit. You do a full class 1 walkaround and then a 40 minute drive with the examiner.
Not really that difficult to do. I see that you are from a little north of me, so I don't know where your license office is.
Your insurance might be the biggest problem if you are not properly licenced.
Weight the unit in full tow mode and see what your trailer axels weight.
good luck and you will really like Heartland products
Rand

Rand, what's the 51 endorsement?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Nhunter
a 51 endorsement " permits house trailer any weight without air brakes"
Rand