Worried for nothing about springs?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You guys have me a little concerned about my springs, and my one-year is about to be here. Can you all look at these photos and tell me, should I be worried?

Attachments

• offdoorside.jpg
    offdoorside.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 243
  • doorside.jpg
    doorside.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 228

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
They look pretty normal to me (hopefully)...ours look just like that!

lwmcguir

Put a straight edge on the center of the spring eyes then measure to see how much bow you have. You can compare that with the spring specs. Most of them are around 1 1/2 inches but it varies. If it drops/changes over time then you know how much they flattened out. I like to seem them look like mine posted here.

Attachments

• HPIM2557.jpg
    HPIM2557.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 136

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Put a straight edge on the center of the spring eyes then measure to see how much bow you have. You can compare that with the spring specs. Most of them are around 1 1/2 inches but it varies. If it drops/changes over time then you know how much they flattened out. I like to seem them look like mine posted here.
Now that photo is just not fair...you over built your suspension springs to provide a 30%-50% safey buffer zone. (the right way).

lwmcguir

I sure did. I have had more than enought problems on the road over the years. Trying to eliminate a few as getting older makes it harder to fix things along side the road.

Snakebite

That is one of the most profound statements that I have seen on this forum. I totally agree, and am in the process of "Over Building" my new Sundance 245RL right now. Even though it is a strongly built coach, and a light weight one, after the Chassis failures of my last coach, I'm going to do everything that I can to protect my self and my investment! :)

Snakebite

traveler44

You are doing the right thing by keeping an eye on the springs. While you are at it keep an eye on the "bands" -spring clamps- that go around them to keep them from splaying. They are like a piece of band stock and can stretch and slide forward on to the single part of the leaf if this happens you can get heavier ones at a spring shop and install them yourself. I didn't torque my Ubolts very tight because of the stretch factor. I think that if they are snugged up and stay that way they are doing the job. Tom M.