lemon or not ? 3812 problems stacking up.

xcflyn

Here is a short list of current items with problems corrected and yet to be corrected. Before I go into the list I want to explain a few things .
First off we are full time in the unit (work campers) : so taking it to the local dealer is very very difficult, and our dealer experience has been pretty disappointing, not blaming Heartland. I spent my previous "life" being a journeyman in machine repair, doing research and development for a machine builder, and owning my own shop, so my brain and hands are pretty capable of most repairs and understanding right from wrong in manufacturing.
I will attach photos of the fixed sink and not not fixed items. I have never posted to this forum so hopefully I can make this work.
#1 My fantastic fan inside frame corner broke, easy fix if I has the correct part.
DSC01160.jpg

#2 no TV remote ? Stereo remote (X2)- none for TV ?:confused:

#3 Living room slide way out wack ??? big gap on bottom-nearly no gap on top.
DSC01161.jpg

sideways pic (tilt head when viewing please)
DSC01162.jpg

#4 door catch for bedroom closet broke -this is #2 it was broke on pick up too.
DSC01163.jpg

#4.5 (oops almost forgot) - Wheel skirt cracking-gonna get worse ! And look at caulk separation ?
DSC01164.jpg

#5 is a big one. Look at the ring on the floor, this was caught within a day of getting it, dealer said most people live with something like that because the floor will never be right again if repaired. The original floor is put on before the walls are put on. Well believe it or not- its getting worse- must have been in the wood under the floor and is seeping up. Looks like heck ! I am so very disappointed in all of this. But the floor just breaks my heart.
DSC01166.jpg

#6 and #7 - the kitchen sink plumbing ripped out and broke from sliding out. I fixed it along with redoing the original straps and adding my own (pic included). I am leery of how long it will last because the frame work its attached to is so crummy, stapled together and splitting !
The other fix was the bath room sink which the faucet leaked at the o-ring connection in the neck, I gave up and pulled the restrictor out of the strainer and now it seals but of course the sink drains poorly from poor direction and direct force.
DSC01165.jpg

I also replaced my generator door, but that is a long story I wont get into-Heartland did send me a replacement !

Then there is is the fact when I looked at units I looked at lots of them, when I purchased this 2010 there were a lot of the 2011s on the lot and I understood that the 2011 would have different landing gear (hydraulic) in front. What I did not know and should have caught on pic up was that the suspension was also upgraded, yet it was pointed out over and over how great the new flex suspension was (30%) better then the old. Wow great- except I got the old, very misleading but that I guess I can take credit for being a sucker on-show me the new and sell me an old.
If you want to post this public- thats great. If you want to respond private that may be better ?
We love the unit: well we like the unit but currently wish we had bought a different cyclone.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: ATF: Cyclone - Did I get a lemon ? Please advise !

I understand your issue with being FT. If you are handy with tools...I bet if you called HL they would send you the parts you need for some of the items. Just make sure you have your VIN# handy. The rusty circle on the floor.......was someone carrying a 55 gal drum in your coach?? I'm willing to bet it wasn't put in your coach by HL. If you are anywhere close to the Factory...I bet they would replace the floor for you. BTW, Fantastic-vent people are great to work with...give them a call. They sent me parts for mine and it was WAAAAAAAAAAY out of warranty for free.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Sounds like a few of these things should have been taken care of by your dealer before you took delivery. Such as, closet door latches. Normally they break if the latch is out of allignment with the door. Maybe repositioning the latch would help. The big ring on the floor, most people would live with that? I think not. Slides can be adjusted but most are not perfect. There may be some give and take to ensure that it seals when it is closed.
And Bob is right about the Fantastic Vent folks. They will take care of your needs.
Good luck and maybe we will see you at the Wisconsin Rally at the Dells.

Peace
Dave

xcflyn

Well, how about this. Heartland called me today. I was actually with a few other full time people when the phone rang. Talk about a bunch of people who are wishing they would have bought a Heartland product ! No one could believe the level of care Heartland had for my situation. Taking the time to call and help sort this out, all with in a few hours of my original post ! I personally have never been so pleased with a company as I am with heartland right now ! Basically it came down to this- "We will make it right" . I was pretty down on this whole situation for a while now, but I do believe that they would not bother to call if they didnt plan to make it right. I will fallow up more on this as we get this taken care of.
Thank you Heartland (Steve Kennel) for helping me with this matter. I feel much better now !

xcflyn

Here is the link to the beginning of my problems.

Now I am glad heartland is listening, but since my last post My fan on the refrigerator has broke, I washed the unit to notice my front decals are comming apart and now my inverter or converter which ever it is made a crazy noise then the lights dimmed. We noticed that our lights would suddenly get brighter every once and a while but now the noise and my lights suddenly dim ? Has anyone had this happen ?
As much as I love heartland standing up and working with me, I am starting to wonder if there is a end in sight ?
Really getting frustrated with all these "little" problems popping up and wondering if
I have a lemon ?

Admin note: Posts 1-4 of this thread are from user's first thread - now combined here

Last edited by a moderator:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

#5 looks like a rusty metal can or drum was set on the floor........... Please see my PM

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
With most new rigs there are always little things that need attention. Keep a list and when it warms up and you can get your rig to your dealer, give him the list. Be sure to call and get an appointment first.
Which refer do you have? and how do you know the fan is broke? What kind of break?
The converter does have a fan in in it and it is normal to have your lights go brite. I think you have a Progressive Dynamics converter and it has a two year warranty.
Decals coming off? Did someone use a power washer on it, maybe the dealer?
Where are you now? Should be pretty cold up in WI for washing. At least it would be for me. :)
I hope you get everything resolved and enjoy your new rig. Be patient.

Peace
Dave

xcflyn

I am in Florida and weather has been pretty good for washing (70-80 degrees).My Dealer is in Michigan and from Florida we go to Colorado. I am in the process of making an appointment in Oklahoma on my way through. Decals flaking apart not peeling off from edges. The refer fan- used a mirror and can see the break in the fan housing where the blades are making contact.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As you have said, Heartland has been in contact with you. Keep that line of communication open and keep them apprised of your issues. If your rig is under warranty, I'm confident things will be made right. Things certainly do seem to be going goofy with your rig but to use the term "lemon" seems a bit strong, but then, I'm not in your shoes at this point. While I can't explain why these things are happening to your rig, I'm sure it will all work out for you.

xcflyn

I am not sure lemon is a really bad way to put it ? This many problems on a $60,000 car would sure be considered a lemon.
Sorry if that makes it seem worse then it is. But as mentioned Heartland is on top of it , so at least we have a good manufacturer standing behind us and that is a great thing !

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am sorry for your issues but posting them here can only allow you to 'vent'. The forum cannot get your issues fixed. I would be talking very seriously to my dealer who should be able to resolve you issues. This forum can give you some assistance by giving you advise on how to go about fixing them yourself. The floor will probably need to be replaced and no one including the dealer would live with that. Good luck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just so you know, when the 12V lights suddenly go brighter, then dim a while later, the converter is sending a boost charge to your battery. That's normal. As far as it making noises, I would guess it depends on where it's mounted vs. where you're sitting, unless there is something interfering with the fan. I can't hear mine at all, but when it goes into boost, the lights brighten and the indicator (an add-on from Progressive) confirms it.

How long did you spend doing the PDI?