ATF: North Country - tire questions for 27 bhs

poosu

My wife and I have gone through the volumes on information provided with our trailer and while we are instructed to properly inflate the tires, we can't seem to find the recommended pressure. I don't think the maximum allowed pressure which is stamped on the tire is desireable.

Also, should the wheels be balanced? They were not when we took delivery.

jnbhobe

By all means balance the tires, you wouldn't drive your truck without balancing them would you ?? I always run the maximum air preasure in my trailer tires. The only way I wouldn't, is to know the capascity of the tires at various preasures and the weight on each wheel of your trailer.

poosu

By all means balance the tires, you wouldn't drive your truck without balancing them would you ?? I always run the maximum air preasure in my trailer tires. The only way I wouldn't, is to know the capascity of the tires at various preasures and the weight on each wheel of your trailer.

I agree with the balancing point. I wonder why the wheels aren't balanced at the factory?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
No. Although the answer is from an experienced RV'r. There may be a placard somewhere on your camper, off door side perhaps, that should state your VIN, tire size and inflation.
I agree with Jon that unless you know the weight supported by each tire and know what the tire manufacturer recommends for inflation based on a known load, I would inflate to max pressure stated on the sidewall.

Peace
Dave

poosu

Based on the replies, as I understand them, the answers to my original questions are:
Tire inflation
Unlike automoble manufacturers, who work with tire manufacturers to calculate the proper tire inflation for a fully loaded vehicle, Heartland elects to have the owner inflate the tires to their maximum. Even though this inflation level exceeds that necessary for the maximum load of the trailer.
Tire balancing
Hearthland recommends camping trailer tires be balanced despite the fact that they do not balance them on brand new units.

caissiel

I apply the same inflation theory to my vehicles. I feel that the inflation value for a car is the value the tires will wear evenly. But loaded I will apply more pressure. For my truck I check the pressure unloaded and when loaded the presure is at max on the tires without adding more air.