Fuel Transfer Pump Failure

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Have any of you Dodge Diesel owners out there had your Fuel Transfer Pump fail? I just did last Tues. and it is a biggy, $2,000 CDN. Apparantly there have been many failures and the mechanic said you can't get a replacement, they don't make that pump anymore. It is a known problem. You get a whole new kit and it is mounted in the tank..../Doug

billd

Ouch, that is not nice. You would think they would have an exchange program for a part that is known to fail.

Bill

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The lift pump on the Dodge has been an issue. That is why they went to the pump in the tank in 2005. However, the pump in the tank is better, but it still is not the best. To help with the life of the pump, try to keep the tank above 1/4 full and replace the filter every oil change. This is one of the reasons I have a fuel pressure gauge. The stock pump performance is weak from the start so there is very little room before you are sitting along the road. There are a number of after market pump systems that are better then the stock system at a much lower cost.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Try a FASS pump system. We installed it on our 98 Dodge when the lift pump started to fail...it was great, giving us a good 17 to 18 pounds of pressure and protected the all important injector pump from failure.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Also the Walbro pump is a good replacement. I have 20 psi of fuel pressure all day long, up hill and down. That pressure is at the injector pump. I have a 2 micron filter up stream along with a water separator. And to stay within the warranty, the stock filter. (the size and performance of the stock filter is basically a joke) Sure is better than the original stock pump.